Nvidia to END Driver Support for Legacy products up-to DX10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2014.

1. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Gee Gosh! There goes the updates for my G4 Ti4600!

2. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    well nVidia gave you a 2 year warning that AMD didn't gave also nVIDIA supported it's cards far longer than what AMD supported .Geforce 6 and 7 has support for the last generation of Windows , What about AMD can you say the same about them

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    nvidia support were always light year better than AMD

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    not even light years or even ahead at times and anyway amd is still releasing legacy drivers just not as often as normal ones?

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    That is great and all, but Nvidia has squeezed everything they can out of those old cards already.

This had to be done so they can focus on cards/games between now and 5-7 years ago, which most complaints in this forum and the Nvidia forums come from.

You do realize he was saying AMD didn't do any better....

He wasn't comparing Nvidia to AMD just saying how the thread blew up, I remember it too.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I just don't think the "focus" you speak of will be much different than now.

Nvidia isn't mentioning what improvements the DX10 cards have been getting the last years, only what's being improved on the Geforce 400 and later.

We do know the DX10 products have gotten support for the latest Windows, but not what bug fixes or performance improvements Nvidia has made for them.

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I'm sorry you feel that way. Cutting off all of these cards will give more time to Nvidia to focus on whats happening now.

Everything is DX9/11 anymore, and DX12 is on the way. To say the least about DX10.... it's over with.

Nvidia needs this to promote focus on whats going on now and later.

Yes those cards support DX9, but there is nothing left to squeeze out of them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I applaud NVidia for holding out as long as they have but it's time to let support for those cards go.

You're asking an awful lot there. Samsung releases too many low-end/budget phones to support them all that long. Hell, they barely support most of the smartphones they release. If you don't have a Galaxy S# or Galaxy Note, you're pretty much SOL a few days after launch.

9. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    This made me lol.

Speaking of a big maccers, I haven't had one nearly all year. I'll go and buy one tomorrow.

Props to NVidia for supporting the cards until they die...quite literally!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  10. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I think its about time they do this. Now they can focus on new cards, i cant believe people even use anything older then 200 series.

11. Benny_26

Benny_26 Banned

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix + SA850
    I dont really like Nvidia but they give you 8 years for a driver, second who has a video card longer then 2 years? I never do, usually i get a new one every 12-16 months, I assume most of us do.
    Also, after they quit driver support you can still use the last driver version they wont delete it and you will always have windows build in 2D driver.
    Dont forget that after so many years these video cards are obsolete, no one will be gaming on them (At least in the 1st world countries)

12. toniglandyl

toniglandyl Guest

GPU:
    8800GT 512
    well eff you. Gaming on my 8800GT isn't obsolete. I don't need to have every detail level maxed out to enjoy a game.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I am not surprised that this is happening. What I am surprised is that driver support for those cards lasted this long. I give Nvidia props for this

No one is forcing you to purchase new Graphics cards or Games. It is your decision alone. And they wont end driver support for the 5xx 6xx or 7xx that soon they will probably follow the same mentality as they did with the cards that they are currently ending the life of.

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What?

"First world countries..." :stewpid:

15. Marios145

Marios145 Active Member

Let's say someone owns 2x780Ti now and decides to keep them until 2019, those cost around 1.4k$.

This will be an investment of around 280$/year for 5 years and usually graphics cards get every 1.5 year a minimum of 35% increase in performance/dollar ratio.

Now another guy buys the 300$ card(gtx770 which now has minimum 40% of 2x780Ti performance) every year and that 300$ card he buys in 2019 will have at least the same performance like the other guy's setup, consume less than half power and have TONS of new features and support ALL the new software.

So...why should a company like nvidia and amd keep supporting the old product which was the TOP of the line, that the guy who chose to spend 1400$ five years ago, now gets the chance to buy the same with the amount of money he initially planned to spend(280$/year) and not put their time and effort into making the new product even better?

16. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    welcome to the real world, marketing laws are unavoidable every single product or service and it's support have a fixed period of lifetime.

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Damn I remember the old Nvidia FX5xxx series and how dreadful they were! I skipped those and went with AMD 9800 pro which was a beast. I also brought a 6800GT or maybe it was the Ultra version not sure. I think the drivers were still in the 60.x or 70.x back then. After that I sold my AMD 9800 and Nvidia 6800 and got my self two x1900xtx card in crossfire both were beasts until the all mighty 800GTX rolled around.

Honestly my friend still has a 9800GTX (might be the + version) either way the 9800 series was a refresh of the 8800 series and his 9800GTX(+) still goes strong even today! A mixture of medium/high settings in games like Splinter Cell, Castlevania, Resident Evil 5 & 6, F1 series, etc and he plays at 1080p and gets 30-50fps in all those games. His PC is not even overclocked and still runs an old Core 2 Quad as well.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    You mad bro?

Go buy a console then.

19. Marios145

Marios145 Active Member

That's what i'm trying to say...that it's totally justified, at least for me.

20. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    ok they stop launching drivers fine inf modification