Mass Effect driver problems.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by KevRus, Aug 13, 2008.

1. LuPoM

LuPoM Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800GTX 768Mb
    I have to disagree... as for me (even if I bought Mass Effect) it works BETTER with a "non-official patch" (aka without SecuROM code in the executable and with the original you don't need the DVD inside by default too) than normally which causes error crashes and uknown error 6000 from SecuROM.
    Mind that I don't have any kind of emulation software installed and mine is a clean system.
    There is a workaround to the SecuROM online check, which is the one who makes the game crashes too much:
    Delete the file named "paul.dll" or just rename it, then the game will ask for the DVD.
    Try to see if it works, since here, with the latest drivers it runs like a charm this way or with a "modified" exe ;)

2. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 9800GTX+ OC 512M
    WOW, this WAS the biggest joke and bull..... I ever read. Seriuosly: are you a little child? You really should start to inform yourself befor starting to answer.

and by the way: Your comment: HUUUUUUUUGE Help to eversyone, WE THANK YOU !!!

Proof:
    For all people, taken directly from MS Knowledge Site:

"...On Windows XP, some drivers, especially video adapter drivers cannot run with the /3GB parameter because they require more address space than the 1 GB kernel address space permits."

Now, who ist talking rubbish my friend ? ;-)
    If you don't know anything, than leave it that way and dont comment...

@Templ: Thats waht i thought, seems that 177.41 and older drivers had another (better?) memory usage (concerning PTE's and NonPagedPool). Newer ones won't work with the 3Gb switch (at least for people with exactly 4GB RAM, not more), because now the system only have 1Gb free for the Kernel (and 3 for the user mode). That makes the trouble (at least for me).

@LuPoM: I knew that too, thx for your help. Your kind of problem is mostly a Vista phenomenon (because I tried that too).

3. LuPoM

LuPoM Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800GTX 768Mb
    Just to tell you, it does the SAME under Windows XP with SP1, SP2 and SP3 :p

4. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    :) Hopefully, i was spared with that kind of problem than, cause from the beginning (YES, when i purchased the game) i also installed the NO DVD cracked EXE. Perhaps this is the reasn why i was spared (thankfully) :eyes:

5. Templ

Templ Guest

I have no 3gb switch in place, and the game will still crash from time to time in XP. It's not VERY unstable... sometimes it works for hours, other times it doesn't. I've found out an easy way to get it to crash in the first 10 min or so by running many background apps and the game at the same time. With the newest drivers it will crash (always during loading a level), with the older ones it won't.

Anyway, I'll just play it on Vista, where it works. :D

Also have no problems with Securom. Never used a crack or anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  6. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Well they all work fine for me with XP. Obviously your XP install will not be identical to Vista so maybe your XP codecs are out of date or some other problem. Could also be SP3 related. You might as well run 64bit with 4GB RAM as you can't use it all in 32bit so what is the point?

Like I said, try install the drivers in Safe Mode. I have no problems with any of the latest games crashing with the last few releases of drivers. Every system is different, but I run a pretty clean system. I've been using computers since the early 80's PKOneTwo. You were probably not even born. If you blame every single problem on nvidia graphics drivers you will never get to the root cause of your system instability. I try to offer you some help and you act like a jerk. That's fine with me. If I was insulting you then I would of made that very clear! Do the latest drivers work when you disable 3GB switch or do you still have problems? If it's the 3GB switch, it's the 3GB switch not a Mass Effect driver problem.

I seriously recommend uninstalling drivers properly, cleaning with either Driversweeper or Driver Cleaner Pro, then install new drivers in Safe Mode. Update your codecs to latest versions and watch out for the latest creative X-Fi drivers - now they can be problematic.

The Securom bug is related to their 'right-click context menu to scan game executable' being bugged in some releases of securom. They even released a hotfix for it. I think that version came with Assassins Creed, maybe one of the updates. Someone said the first Grid update had the bugged securom version but I haven't tested it.

The amount of times I've seen unfounded condemnation of the drivers that nvidia team work on, so that every individual computer system using their products can enjoy gaming, is beyond ridiculous. Same goes for other software. Yes some software is not that great, but if you can do a better job, by all means, stop complaining and do something about it. Patch it yourself, make a mod, make your own software, develop a game, or just point out the faults in a constructive manner.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  7. Templ

Templ Guest

Well, I've decided to notify Nvidia about the problem. :p They said that the latest drivers do have various ME related issues, which will be fixed in one of the next driver releases. There.

And, AnthraxPants, every system is different. You should know that by now (with your experience and all. :p). I have no doubt that there are many who are having problems due to their unoptimized systems, but I'm definitely not one of those. I know very well what I'm doing. Don't put everybody into the same boat. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  8. Amilo-D

Amilo-D Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280GTX 702mhz
    I am playing MassEffect + bring-down-sky (exe version 1.1.14660.0 thats 1.1patch) on 177.79 and physx 8.07 drivers. Not a single crash.

I downloaded this game (as i do with everygame, try before buy thing) and the different cracks made the game unstable. But there was a stable crack too that let me play and save game. Now i bought the game as it hit norwegian stores and havent really bothered to re-install. It runs smoothly and pretty stable.

9. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    All i can say now after i had tested all newer nvidia drivers and some settings
    in ME i can say that really all drivers over 175.19 whql (v2) crash the game.

Drivers like 177.83 runs sometimes for hours (3-4) play this game but then crashes.

All i can say that you should use/try 175.19 at the moment for this game, they
    never crashed on my pc.

You should also read this http://www.tweakguides.com/ME_1.html
    and look into this http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/
    also install the 1.1a patch and delete the local shader cache before using new
    drivers....

10. Templ

Templ Guest

Yeah, same here. It took me a while to figure out there's even a problem. I remember playing for 6 hours once without crashing (in fact, it didn't crash... I quit the game lol). When it does crash, it always does so during loading... never anywhere else. There are probably people out there that don't even know their game is unstable.

Anyway, the 177.41 work fine for me. It's the newer ones that don't.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008

11. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Hehe, wel you know, you don't need to answer him/her, it's a waste of time at all ;-)

Same experience here (apart from the /3Gb switch one, which i had turned on and gave me more crashed due to the MS Knowledge Fact, which i mentioned above).