Anyone given up smoking? And is Vaping?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Scorch666, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I was just trying to make a point that not everything that gets people to quit smoking cigarettes is going to save lives...

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    @sykozis

Exactly (what you wrote above).

Test results, like any statistics, can be used to show basically any outcome if the data/variables/conditions/frame of reference are not shown.

Scientific method implies there's a clearly defined research question (Is vaping dangerous? Is not a research question...), determined variables and constants, fixed conditions and clearly mapped results.

Furthermore, results are raw data which show the outcome of the examination/test. Without bias or conclusion.

Then there may be a separate conclusion but even that should refrain from taking stand like "this is clearly bad for you" but rather explain the results part in "common English".

Last but not least, the test should be repeatable and give consistent results. If either of these is not determinable from reading the test report, the test is to be considered invalid.

And ofc in real life scenarios things like who funded the study/test always comes into play...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    That's another good point. Don't forget that the major tobacco companies have funded a lot of their own 'research' in to the benefits of vaping compared to regular smoking. As well as producing the various vape brands themselves.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    When testing vaping products for safety and reporting a conclusion based on said testing, we need to know the vaporizer(s) used, the chemical makeup of the e-liquid, the wicking material(s) used, the power range(s) used, the nicotine level (which should be zero, if looking at the safety of vaping in general), and the frequency in which vaping was done.

That said, vaping is not something that should be marketed to everyone. It should be marketed to those looking to quit smoking. It should be done in moderation, with the intent to cease use once the desired goal is reached. It shouldn't be done simply as a lifestyle choice. Is it 100% safe? Hell no. Is it safer than cigarettes? Yes. Should it be done long-term? Not if you value your overall health. Does further study need to be done? Yes, but only under the conditions that all variables are made public knowledge...including who funds the studies. We need unbiased, fact based studies and results. Does there need to be some sort of regulation? Of course. We need to make sure that proven unsafe chemicals are not used in manufacturing. There is enough risk when using PG, VG, Nicotine and flavoring already. Unfortunately, the US FDA is still relying on studies conducted by "big tobacco" to justify trying to regulate the vaping industry out of existence and eliminating hundreds of thousands of jobs in the process.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    When used properly, it's rare that one explodes. Usually when you see reports about one exploding, it's either due to a faulty battery or somebody being stupid.

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Everything you've posted is in-line with my personal experience.

I would like to see if people who vape who also use mouthwash like Listerine experience losing their tastebuds.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The only time I've experienced any negative effects at all, was when using chinese e-liquids (because a large portion of them are produced using recycled engine coolant as the chemical base) or vaporizers with ceramic fiber wicking material.

I use mouthwash daily and have had no loss of taste. I've been vaping for 2 years.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hmm, so it seems:

http://www.bat.com/ecigarettes

the conspiracy theorist in me wants to say it's the e-cigs made By tobacco companies that explode so people would keep smoking (surely that's more profit per investment).

Then again, company behemoths like BAT can afford to invest in / enter virtually any market.
    Make both smokes and e-cigs, win-win.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Smoking and smokers are dying out.

If you were to ask a teenager what would happen if they were to smoke, they would reply that by doing so would be like "committing social suicide". No friends and the red letter on them for life.

Honestly, no one (in my country) smokes any more. I honestly think I was one of the last.

It's just too stupid a thing to do.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It is somewhat part of an older generation indeed.

I also get the impression a lot of non smokers react positively to people switching from regular smoking to vaping. More often then not they mention the smell smokers usually have.

12. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    I still smoke cigarettes but I'm down to 1 or 2 a day... Vaping seems to me a whole new can of worms, and people are just replacing one addiction with another.

Probably best to man up, make a decision and quit altogether... save money for better hardware or something

13. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    [​IMG]

So.. I went shopping ..

14. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Those Dinner Lady juices are supposed to be really nice but custards etc. aren't really my thing.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Pudding is quite nice indeed.

16. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    BTW Pudding is from The Milkman and the Dinner Lady is Lemon Tart. Just saying, because it looks like the box and the bottle are the same package on that picture. Both of them are really nice. I’m leaning toward the Lemon Tart at the moment.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yep, I have both, The Dinner lady lemon tart is quite a bit harsher, more lemon-y, it hits the throat a little bit more. Milkman Pudding is a lot more mellow, easy vape. Both really nice though.

My absolute favorite dessert vape is Menage A Trois from Ruthless, love that thing.

18. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    I have recently given up the smokes (hopefully for the last time!). Cold turkey, haven't smoked now for 7 weeks. Getting easier. Think that really made me quit is the fact that one of my mates (who is only 66) needs to be on oxygen 24/7.

I'm 34 and I don't want to have to go through what he's going through. To everyone who is trying to give up - don't give in, you have the rest of your life ahead of you.

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's a good thing we're talking about vaping flavours here lol.

Anyway, I've tried to quit twice this month already. RL keeps triggering me to smoke again atm. Gonna keep trying.

20. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Not quite the same, but I've given up drinking since may 1st. It was pretty hard in the beginning but just holding something in my hand when going out helped immensely. Otherwise just going to group meetings and keeping my mind busy was also a key.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.