ASUS Launches Essence STX II and Essence STX II 7.1 Sound Cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. RED_404

RED_404 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080/980 temp need $$
    Or never touch a sound card again. Get a good DAC and never deal with crap drivers, distorted DSPs, high CPU usage doto the crap drivers and no high DPC/kernel interrupts and better system stability.

3. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 4GB
    ASUS soundcard driver support is nonexistent. If it wasn't for the guy who makes the UNi Xonar drivers the cards would only be useful as a paperweight.

4. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    OOOh! Please tell me more! This is all very new to me. What pumps out the sound then if you have no sound card?

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Looks good but they come with DHT software which i hated with my phoebus, and Asus driver support is poor to say at least.

6. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Sound cards are ****, high latency, driver issues and the sound quality isn't better, they just have a built in amp to be louder. I don't even use my Asus any more due to so many issues I used to have with it and they never update their drivers. Rocksmith doesn't even work with it because of the latency the card generates.

7. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Drivers may not be the best but I sure had fun listening to jazz through Essence STX & Sennheiser HD600. Think am gonna buy the new version and get myself HD650 as well.

8. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    USB DAC/amp- digital to analog converter + amplifier
    Some have an amp built in. Do note that an amp isn't just for increasing volume. It also increases the quality and can change the characteristics of a headphone. So best to have a good headphone(s) first before you have a higher end amp.
    Prepare your wallet...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  9. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thanks FULMTL. So are all sound cards rubbish then? High latency and bad drivers?

10. ClexRex

ClexRex Guest

GPU:
    780 Classified / R9 290
    Ive been using creative sound cards for years now using the x-fi and it is very nice never have issues with it..even with my descent on board sound from the asus maximus formula...the sound card still produces much clearer and crisp sounds its esp noticeable in games like gw2 where lots of sounds are being created in large battles...with on board its much more mashes together and unclear....if you cant notice the difference you either cant hear or should not buy asus sound cards...... lol

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Never had any issues with simple Xonar DG and its night and day comparing to mobo's audio.

12. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Asus own STX drivers are bad. but someone did make a 3rd party Xonar driver which is lightweight and addresses alot of issues. I use it for my current STX and its far better.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Unless you wear headphones or care about analog recording quality, I really don't understand the point of modern discrete sound cards these days. SPDIF on integrated audio or HDMI audio is already good enough - get yourself a good sound receiver and you'll be all set for the years to come. Your speakers are only as good as the lowest quality part, so even if you're paying for a high-end sound card, if the speakers themselves or the transistors driving them are crap then you're still going to get bad sound.

I also think that supreme sound quality is just a placebo. People need to justify paying several hundred dollars/euros on something they're physically incapable of noticing so they just believe they notice a difference. Then again, you could say the same about people who buy the latest i7 every time a new one comes out.

14. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Same with mine.

15. gapson

gapson Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD7870
    Can't agree more on that!

Get a DAC headphone amp, good 2.0 speaker and headphone and you will see the difference!

These Asus and Creative are making huge market share in PC sound sector, but their SQ are real bad and they are not cheap at all, the value you paid for could get a much better gear in DAC and speakers!

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I can't believe people found to argue about something and its not "Nvidia VS Amd".

Great! but how much that cost?

I got Xonar DG to drive Sennheiser 595 for $20. And it was quite an upgrade in audio quality.

17. gapson

gapson Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD7870

I got the Essence STX a while ago and a DAC from Audio-GD, prices between them are marginal. The SQ is much comparable and you may google it to find some discussions and impressions.

18. leeaids

leeaids Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 690
    iv been using an asus essence stx for a wile now and as i use a pair of mackie hr 824s, before the sound card i used on bord sound, i can tell you for sure a sound card makes all the diffrtence if your using decent speakers,

on bord sound is ok for day to day use but not for good much else

19. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"

Go to a headphone store and tell me you won't notice the difference between sound quality when you have a wall like this in front of you. You can even measure the differences between a poor headphone and a quality one. You can even see a sound signature just by looking at the wave pattern. However you seem to be too ignorant to even try and you are just missing out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  20. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    audigy se + steelseries siberia v2. come at me.