AMD loses 2nd place processor market, now 4th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 21, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Qualcomm and Samsung each passed Advanced Micro Devices Inc. in microprocessor sales in 2012, thanks to a slowdown in PC sales coupled with strong growth in smartphone and media tablet sales, accordin...

AMD loses 2nd place processor market, now 4th

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Typo in title..."looses" should be "loses". :)

3. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    the very minute the new consoles come out AMD will be 1st.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If you take a look at the chart you will see that intel is dominating by far.

5. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Dont forget, this is on $ .. not units. Qualcomm or Samsung certainly product more MPU unit of Intel.. but at 15$ . ( a bit more over the last year for Qualcomm and Samsung ).

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  6. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    A shame but sadly their CPUs suck compared to Intel, for general end user use anyways.

What I wanna know is the CPU they're supplying in the consoles, surely that cannot be good can it?

7. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    I wouldn't necessarily say suck. Their processors are very good, it's just that intel has much faster ones in the higher class segment. But when taken into context, the processors of intel that are much faster compared to amd in the higher segment, aren't THAT interesting other than a "small" portion of the market.

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ummm... most people on this forum aren't "general end user" and is usually the enthusiasts who don't want AMD hardware because they can't completely go toe-to-toe with Intel. However, in the mainstream market, AMD has the full capability going toe-to-toe with Intel.

We are not the "general end user", we're part of the enthusiast market which is much smaller but more vocal.

deltatux

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yep,Delta is right.
    to the people i sold AMD,i always told that it is a more cheap "wintel cpu",and after a long time feedback is coming"Dude,that cpu was/is fantastic,what is it , i5 ?"Nope,A10.Wow,i have an A10!!!
    sorry,but i couldn't help sometimes at work,it eliminates boredom.

10. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    The fact that the AMD 8350 is typically $100 cheaper than the 3770k, yet nearly performs toe to toe, even outperforms it in some multimedia applications, says a lot. Intel is for the enthusiasts of enthusiasts, people who are willing to pay insane prices for their hardware. And consider that without AMD, Intel would be without an x86 competitor and would be robbing you enthusiasts blind.

That aside, I think it's clear that once next gen consoles come out, AMD will be sitting in the #2 or #3 spot again.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    AMD have little by little let other go forward mainly because when it melt with ATI it was needing fund to keep GPU in the run.

1st they let server/pro side die, end of the 90' opteron were bleeding edge, last server i have seen on AMD was on 2002 and was on the way to be change by xeon (more power, more power saving and more reliable)

then the mainstream CPU... fact is that the best AMD 8 core cannot compete with i5, in 99% of the app (sad i think).

on other hand AMD invested a lot on the integrated CPU/GPU, i think it's a good tactic as the company cannot fight with Intel right now, and they do a pretty good job (android x86 work very nice on AMD)... but carefull, Intel started to attack on this front too.

but shouldn't be even more nice to goes ARM way? ARM is by definition more versatile than x86.

12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    if it sell as XBox 360 and PS3... good luck :)

13. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    I ditched ATI cards, they have the worst drivers ever.

14. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    I don't really know how it goes toe to toe looking at this chart. This chart is about High end and low end, if you say, that it's small number of people who purchase high end cpu's, so this chart shouldn't show such a big difference between AMD and Intel if it goes toe to toe in lower end. I think, the reality here is simple, if AMD won't show competition in this market, dark days are coming to them and to us.

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    toe to toe despite good at low and mid range people chose more and more intel, hoping to update to high end whenever they never do.

there is even only 2 shop that still have AM3+ at the catalog in my town all other do Intel only.

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    yes, drivers are awful, but that's another problem :) (if you are fan of one or other plz don't awnser lol).

17. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    AMD got toe to toe ? Intel released most of the CPUs that out performed AMD 's CPU like 2 years ago. AMD just caught with those Intel CPUs few months ago. AMD is very very late and the most recent CPUs draw too much power and have overheating problems.

18. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    They can only do that by selling high-end CPUs (with large die size) as mainstream. This is not a healthy competition; it's not even a competition. AMD is selling their units below their normal sale price, because otherwise it wouldn't be able to sell at all, the way they perform.

The fact that when I go to the store I can buy an $200 AMD unit with a comparable performance to a similarly priced Intel unit doesn't mean that AMD is capable of competing with Intel in mainstream. If you compare the similarly retail-priced i5-3470 with the FX-8350 you have:

Core i5-3470: 133 mm^2
    FX-8350: 315 mm^2

Being more than 2 times larger, the FX-8350 can have a production cost that is 3 or 4 times higher than that of the i5-3470. Does AMD make money by selling the 8350? Or did they plan to design a 315 mm^2 chip to struggle to compete with an 133 mm^2 one?

The Bulldozer-like architecture is just not a successful one, actually a fiasko. And for the same reason AMD can't compete with high-end Intel CPUs, it can't compete with mainstream and low-end either; at least when you compare apples to apples. Selling large CPUs as mainstream or low ends is something you do only when you don't have a choice. It can be as bad as selling below production cost.

19. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    This is stupid, there cpu are really good for general use, in high end desktop use they just dont top Intel offer and dont by far ( since IB, Intel have reduce his gain from a generation to another and its good for AMD, they are at some % ) ... in professionnal use, this is another story, with their 24-32 cores cpu who cost less of the xeon and equal them in term of performance ...

In term of CPU+GPU ( extremely sold in the netbook space like ultra book etc ) Intel is unable to rivalize with AMD, thanks to their APU . )

The problem on general use, is the cpu x86 are anyway too much powerfull for the type of software and the work are ask peoples .. its why ARM can start to grow up... tablet, smartphone, they are not even as powerfull as the most low end cpu x86 .. but its just now the lower end cpu are enough for take the task and do it smoothly.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  20. DarkOneZ13

DarkOneZ13 Guest

GPU:
    MSI/GTX 980/4096MB