Tt eSPORTS MEKA G-Unit keyboard multimedia keys don't work as expected. Help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darren Hodgson, May 8, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've just upgraded my old but reliable Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 for a Cherry MX Black-switched Thermal Tt eSPORTS MEKA G-Unit keyboard and so far I love it bar the typing errors that come from having a different sized and different feeling keyboard to what I was used to.

However, one annoying issue I'm having is that the keyboard's multimedia keys don't all work as expected. The Volume Up/Down and Mute keys (which are mechanical) work fine but the Previous/Forward, Pause/Play and Stop buttons don't (these last four of standard keys). With my Microsoft keyboard those last four keys would work in whatever media application I was using, whether MediaMonkey, iTunes or Windows Media Player. Now they only seem to work in Windows Media Player. In fact, the Pause/Play button actually opens WMP, which is annoying.

I have the MEKA G-Unit driver installed and it is working correctly as I have the OSD and the macro keys are working as expected too. I don't think this issue is related to the driver though as reviews I've read commented that everything functions except the macros if you don't install any drivers.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I've tried Google-ing but couldn't find anything about how to correct it other than discovering that other keyboards have similar issues. I did use the multimedia keys a lot on my old keyboard so it is annoying to not be able to use them properly in iTunes and MediaMonkey (the latter is the player I use the most).

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    all my keys worked fine. are you using a native usb port or a usb port thats connected to an additional controller? some boards use NEC or etron chips for extra usb ports, which dont work as well as the native ports for some input devices. for my gamepads, native ports map buttons properly, but etron ports mess up the configuration.

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the native USB 2.0 port which is right next to the one I use for my mouse (and to the right, when looking from the back, of the PS/2 port).

I'm wondering if the specific drivers for the keyboard have not been installed? Inside the MEKA G-Unit driver folder there are x64 and x86 drivers but these will not install on my system as I'm told everything is already up to date. In the Device Manager > Keyboard section I have three entries for Keyboard Device HID, something like that, not MK1 or whatever the drivers are in those folders.

Should I manually delete those three Keyboard Device HID entries and then try reinstalling the MK1 drivers? What do you have showing under Device Manager > Keyboard on your system?

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You should run the installer as it may configure the keyboard differently and may or may not be that "Keyboard Device HID" you speak of.

You can manually try and force INF installation through Device Manager. When you're updating the driver just say "Let me pick from a list device on my computer" and then click "Have Disk". Then select the .inf file in the x64 folder.

Try to see if that works.

deltatux

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I tried the manual install, deltatux, but it didn't work - Windows tells me I already have the latest drivers installed.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Previous, Forward, Play/Pause and Stop only work in WMP and not iTunes or MediaMonkey as before with my last keyboard. :(

7. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Does it work with a PS/2 adapter?

Did it install the GUI software for the keyboard, that lets you set what lights turn on and assign macro keys and other such things?

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The first thing I tried when I got the keyboard was to connect it with my PS/2 adaptor but the keyboard doesn't work at all with it, only USB.

I installed the MEKA G-Unit software, yes, and it appears to working correctly as the macros work as does the OSD (which pops up when I press the multimedia keys or raise/lower the volume, etc.).

I deleted those three HID Keyboard Device entries under Device Manager > Keyboards then rebooted but the same drivers where installed again. I checked the Device Manager > Human Interface Device section and there are two entries for the keyboard that use those MK1 drivers I mentioned in an earlier post so it looks like the drivers are installed correctly after all. :(

Surely I'm not the only one with this issue or is this not a popular keyboard (personally I think it is terrific myself)?

9. Nimajeb

Nimajeb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GforceGTS 450
    Meka gunit

The only thing that worked for me was having Windows Media Player open while i was using Itunes, just don't have anything in the playlist. And for some reason it works.

10. cekop

cekop Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 TI
    Dont install the GUI software or uninstall WMP, mostly we dont use WMP :D

11. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Are you using Windows 8? I have similar problem with my k90. What I did was to check "Human Interface Device Access" under Services if it was running.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Way to necro this 2012 thread.

deltatux