GPU Monitor Vista Sidebar Gadget Available

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by stangowner, Feb 15, 2009.

1. kallileo

kallileo New Member

GPU:
    Sapp 4870 1GB on Water
    Great tool stangowner! Thank you.

Just one request. Is it possible to create another version of the gadget with GPU Fan Duty/Speed removed or maybe you just can add an option to hide this bar? Cause some card use watercooling and they don't need the Fan Duty bar.

Thank you again...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    Noticed 3 errors

1) GPU Temps not updating
    2) Fan Duty not updating
    3) Fan Speed not updating

BTW should GPUMonitor.exe start with the gadget? if so i think this may be related to it not starting

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  3. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    GPUMonitor.exe is not running then. The gadget is displaying the XML values now that the XML data has been established (you ran it manually once). But GPUMonitor.exe is not updating the XML data, so the gadget is rereading the same values over and over.

Yes, when the gadget loads, it starts GPUMonitor.exe. When it unloads, it stops it.

We need to find out why the .exe will not launch from the gadget. As a test, can you disable Kaspersky? Then close and reopen the gadget. Check to see if it is running in the task manager.

- Nick

4. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    UAC overcomplicates OS!

Hmmm... The only thing I can suggest is User Account Control. Do you have UAC disabled?

I do, but sadly gadgets don't normally work with UAC disabled in Windows 7.
    I don't know if you're aware but you can disable UAC and still get the gadgets to work. To resolve simply:

It might be something to try if not disabled. :nerd:

5. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    Uninstalled and reinstalled the gadget with Kis disabled Still no love UAC is set to default.

6. wollyka

wollyka Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980GTX
    working great on vista x64 SP1 here.
    Like suggested earlier, if it is to select what features to monitor within the gadget itself. Also ability to change graph bars color e.g i want the bar for GPU temp to be red if the temp is >90C and not 80C

Keep up the good work

7. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    And it runs fine if you start GPUMonitor.exe manually? So the app is not crashing, just not launching from the gadget.

At this point, I'd recommend 2 things:
    1. Check the Windows Event Viewer to see if anything is being logged
    2. The Vista Sidebar uses the IE7 rendering engine. Open IE7->Tools->Internet options->Security->Reset all zones to default level

Let me know if either of these help.

- Nick

8. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    This option is already there. Open the gadget config (click wrench). Change the upper limit from 90 to 100, and the red limit from 80 to 90. Click OK.

I used 80 as a default red limit.....cause that's pretty toasty. My old ATI Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition used to cause crashes at 84-86.

- Nick

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Nice work!

Thanks for this stangowner. :)

10. wollyka

wollyka Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980GTX
    Silly me! didn't notice that u can double click the numbers!Anyhow thanks for the info and gadget :)

11. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    I love this gadget already, but do I need to keep Rivatuner open to have it display the value's properly, any way how I can change that?

12. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Rivatuner does the heavy lifting getting the values from the card. Without it running, you'll just get static numbers from the last time it was running.

If you click the config(wrench)for the gadget and read #5 on the help tab, you can check the "Send to tray on close" option. Then you can click "OK" in Riavatuner it it will stay running, just minimize to the system tray instead of closing.

Hope that helps!

- Nick

13. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Its been a while since I've actually changed those values......but you're right. Those look like labels, not editable values. I'll make sure to make it a little more obvious for the next version!

- Nick

14. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Windows XP Support

A lot of users have been asking if this gadget is available for Windows XP.

The short answer is no. This gadget was designed for the Windows Vista Sidebar. I plan on supporting Windows 7 as well. I have no intention of creating anything similar for any previous versions of Windows.

With that said, there is a Windows Vista Sidebar available for Windows XP. I have it installed on my wife's machine, and the GPU Monitor gadget works perfectly fine with Windows XP Media Center SP3, RivaTuner 2.23 and a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS with 180.48 drivers.

Here is what you need to do to get it running:
    1. Install 7zip
    2. Extract and install Alky for Applications 1.1
    3. Log out and back in
    4. Extract and install the Windows Sidebar by right clicking the sidebar.inf file and selecting install
    5. Reboot
    6. Install RivaTuner if it is not currently installed
    7. Install the GPU Monitor gadget
    8. Add the gadget to the sidebar
    9. Configure RivaTuner's hardware monitoring as specified on the help tab of the gadget config

There is additional information in the "C:\Program Files\Alky for Applications\Documentation\manual.pdf" file (including other pre-requisites).

If it works for you, great! If it doesn't, please do not send support requests to me. I am not supporting this type of configuration.

- Nick

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  15. hiborg

hiborg New Member

GPU:
    Gtx 295
    Hi!

First, nice work there, keep it up! :)

Next, small feature request - my card has 2 gpu's, so it would be nice to display them both using bars, or a way to merge them in a single value and then display it.

And one offtopic - is there a way to integrate hwmonitor with rivatuner or other way around? It bugs me to run 4 programs to monitor gpu&cp&mb ...

H.

16. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Hello hiborg,

I've already started development on the next version. It will let you customize almost everything. You'll be able to decide on a parameter by parameter basis how you want to display it. Until then, it is not possible to add a 2nd bar for the 2nd GPU temp. However, if you don't want your fan data to display in the bar, you could specify your 2nd GPU temp for now. The title, icon and units will be wrong, but the bar should be right. Just change the bar limits to match the first bar (20,70,75,80,90).

This gadget reads all data available in RivaTuner's hardware monitor. So anything you add there can be displayed in the gadget. For CPU data, you can use RealTemp plugin for RivaTuner. Its simple to do, just extract the files as mentioned in the instructions. Then in RivaTuner's hardware monitor setup, click plugins and enable RTCore.dll.

Here is my gadget pulling back the RealTemp info into the gadget.
    [​IMG]

Again, in the next version, you'd be able to specify the CPU temps in a bar format if you choose.

Hope this helps for now.

- Nick

17. ChaddlesMcGee

ChaddlesMcGee New Member

GPU:
    2xSapphire Radeon 4870x2
    Hey ppl. I have the gadget installed and it gives me the error:
    "could not read xml data"

any ideas?

18. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Hi ChaddleMcGee,

Please read the bottom of the first page of this thread, and the top of the 2nd page. It is an issue with GPUMonitor.exe not starting, resulting in the XML not being provided for the gadget.

Please let me know how you make out, or if you need additional assistance.

- Nick

19. ChaddlesMcGee

ChaddlesMcGee New Member

GPU:
    2xSapphire Radeon 4870x2
    Thankyou for your reply.
    I guess i should have mentioned that i have already read through and tried all suggestions in this thread and yes the application is running when i open the gadget.

My vista x64 install is about a week old so not too much has been installed and I also have the latest version of riva tuner.

I just installed the latest catalyst driver which prompted riva tuner to display a compatibility message but that shouldnt affect anything.

Any other thoughts?
    I appreciate you taking the time to help me out :p

20. sm007h

sm007h Member

GPU:
    NVidia 8800 GTS 512mb
    This gadget is awesome! I've been using it since I found out about it. I'm really looking foward to the new features you're talking about adding, as that would make it 99.9% perfect in my opinion. The only thing I'm curious about is whether you have any plans to make it compatible with EVGA precision overclocking tool? I don't know the exact amount of similarity between the two programs, but the server is the same thing from Unwinder. I've seen him recommend that utility rather than RT for people inexperienced with their system, so it might be beneficial to make your plugin compatible with both.