Restart when trying to exit ATT

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Generic Discussion' started by Riou27, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Riou27

Riou27 New Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 2600 HD Pro 512MB
    Hi, I'm having repeatable problems with my new PC upgrade and the tray tools program. If I attempt to exit the program via the tray icon, my computer restarts, or without automatic restarts enabled it gives me a fatal blue screen complaining about ati2mtag.sys.

Exiting out of some games (UT3, GalCiv2) also causes my computer to restart, although I haven't checked the error message it would give me without auto restarts. I just assume it's related.

I'm going to see if I can clear out any evidence of old Radeon drivers, but I believe tray tools causes another crash whenever I try to remove or update this program.

I have recently switched out my motherboard and my CPU to a Core 2 Duo, as well as upgrading to a Radeon 2600 HD from a 9600. When the restarts happen my PC begins to run extremely slowly. When startup crawls into windows, playing any game shows problems, having the intro videos run incredibly slow. Getting the PC to run properly again involves leaving it sit powered fully off for anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes and then switching it back on.

I thought a burned out processor was the problem and replaced the Core 2 Duo, however the problems still exist. So I wonder if the motherboard is slightly damaged or my installation (drivers and such) needs to be reconfigured. I believed it was the processor because there were a few minutes when the PC was on while no fan was over the CPU. The PC does seem to run more reliably with the new CPU.

Let me know if I need to elaborate more, hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction to solve this whole problem.

2. Logicore

Logicore Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATi Radeon X1950Pro 512MB
    i don't think your problem is hardware related. you should look into the drivers more. if you haven't yet, uninstall all drivers for your videocard. after that, try downloading a slightly older version of the tray tools and install that.

3. Riou27

Riou27 New Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 2600 HD Pro 512MB
    Thanks for your input Logicore. Restarting in safe mode to safely remove ATT and then reinstalling the most recent version along with Catalyst drivers has cleared up the problem with exiting the program. Pretty simple fix. I'll have to reinstall Unreal Tournament 3 and see if the computer restarts when that is closed down.

Edit: UT3 now exits without incident.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  4. Logicore

Logicore Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATi Radeon X1950Pro 512MB
    so everything works now?

glad to have helped :D