Mozilla Firefox, new releases, Add-Ons, tips for customisation

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by CrazY_Milojko, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    First post updated with links for final Mozilla Firefox 29.0, it's also available via autoupdate feature, but...

But I hate new look, it looks like some stupid Chrome clone and you can`t (regularly) move tabs below adress bar via: about:config >>> browser.tabs.onTop ...and it`s so anoying for me to go all way to the top with mouse pointer just to select another tab.

But here is solution for that problem, AddOn: Classic Theme Restorer (Customize Australis)
    link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Install it and restart Firefox, go to: Tools >>> Add-Ons ...chose: Classic Theme Restorer >>> Options ...and in menu: Main ...below: Tabs ...choose: Tabs not on top - set [tabsnotontop=false] ...confirm with: OK ...and tabs are again where thay belong: below adress bar.
    You can also change a lot of other stuff via Classic Theme Restorer: curved or squared tabs, colours for tabs... nice AddOn for sure.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I`ll stick with 28, I tried the classic theme restorer on 29 beta and it was still missing a few things that pre-29 FF version have such as double clicking on the tab bar to open a new tab, which I use all the time - with FF29 even with theme restorer, that just maximises and minimises the whole browser

Don't like the new menu or anything else about 29 really - gonna hold off and hope that Mozilla return the option of the classic theme

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just auto-updated to v29, changes are fine with the theme i use, FX Chrome. :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guys, use Palemoon :p

5. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Solution to your problems with mouse left double click:
    Add-On: Tab Mix Plus ..I've been using it for ages, there is no better Add-On for tabs management
    link: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/latest/1122/addon-1122-latest.xpi?src=search
    set these options like this:
    [​IMG]

These are settings I use in Classic Theme Restorer, did some changes so that FF 29.0 now looks (for my taste) even better than previous 28.0:

FF 29.0 >>> Classic Theme Restorer >>> Main
    http://i57.tinypic.com/ws0ehi.png

...or maybe like this:
    [​IMG]

FF 29.0 >>> Classic Theme Restorer >>> Special
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    FF29?!

Everything is a mess now from main menu button, to navigation buttons, to some weird combined bookmarks menu buttons and missing stop and history buttons.

lol they ruined whole firefox with one release. :bang:

EDIT: returned back to FF28.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    @CrazY_Milojko - Thanks for that - I`ll give it a shot in VMWare and see how it play out before testing on my main machine, cheers :)

Yep, completely killed it - I even installed Chrome last night to try and get it set up like my FF28

8. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Don't panic everything in FF 29.0 can be reverted to look same like in FF 28.0 version and earlier, look at my previous posts. Old FF users like me also don't like huge changes in FF, FF is made for customisation and we don't want FF to become another Chrome-like browser. With few tweaks/Add-ons here and there everything looks and is functional like in FF 28.0 and earlier. We still have an options for full FF customisation, don't forget that, Mozilla didn't forget about us, faithful FF users...

I guess Mozilla had to change something in FF 29.0 to grab some new users who like plain and simple look and who don't care about tons of Add-ons for FF. As long as I'm having a choice for full FF customisation to place everything and set everything my way + insane number of usefull Add-Ons my No.1 browser will be FF, no doubt about that...

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Thanks,
    Yes I saw your post, that customization gui looked a little confusing.. :D

I'll give it another try

10. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

You're welcome...

Add-Ons like Adblock Plus & Tab Mix Plus are must have for every FF user, old or new, complete list of all Add-Ons I'm using with FF for ages can be found here in post #18
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4784314&postcount=18

...but I've forgot to mention Add-On: UnMHT 7.0.4 ...I'm using for a long time on every rig that is personaly mine to save complete page or multiple pages in MHT format (single file), like in IE.
    And now Classic Theme Restorer 1.1.8 is new on my Add-On list for FF.

Chrome, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole...:puke:

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok, thanks man!

Took me while, but I think this is it ^_^

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

A must have addon for me is YouTube Center - Allows auto centring of video player window, auto enlarging the player window and setting HD as default - turns butt ugly YT into a decent site again

13. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    YouTube Center 2.1.0
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-center/?src=search

or:

Youtube Video Center 2.6
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-video-center/?src=search

Which one?

I'm not a fan of YT, but my kids love it, if I can make their experience with YT even better then these Add-Ons are welcome on their rigs/FF.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Once installed, click the little settings cog on youtube page to find the settings - in there you can set it out how you like

[​IMG]

15. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Nice one, thanks! Just tried it on my oldest son rig and he loved it (huge amount of settings!) from the first second... :)

As always, here and there you can always learn something new from some other experienced FF user about some new/unused Add-on for FF... :)

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :) Agreed - After I found that addon I couldn't understand how I'd used YT without it lol

17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    What have they done?!?!?!?!?!!?!! It's hideous!

18. fangzhou

fangzhou Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080Ti
    hey guys, I tried the classic theme restorer and set it up just as in previous FF prior to update 29 but ran into an issue. When I click on the "Firefox" button on the far left, the menu items text doesn't really show their submenus until mouse is hovered to its arrow icon only.

I think before this if you hover on any of the menu items text it shows any submenus immediately on hover regardless whether mouse is hovered on its text or the arrow next to the text.

any fix any of you know of? or i'll just have to get use to this?

19. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    It takes a bit of fiddling to get it how it should be.

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Uhh, what is this?

I think I might have to revert to 28.

Classic theme restorer helps a bunch, thanks guys, I just need to find out how to stop the bookmark button opening a menu and put it back to open/close like before.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.