Microsoft's Future Vision: Live, Work, Play

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 5, 2013.

1. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I don't think that would ever happen. In order for everything in that vid to work properly, some degree of intelligence is required, and that is what most people are lacking.

2. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    You know, after watching the video a second time I noticed the entire ****ing thing is nothing but touch screens.

The only touch screens that are productive are the Wacoms that artist use, and that's if they aren't drawing penises. Or maybe GPS screens.

Yeah, that's another thing they don't seem to get while pitching this crap. Price vs payoff.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So because you don't find touch screens productive, they aren't productive?

And price vs payoff? A digitizer for an iPhone costs $30 aftermarket. Apple probably pays a dollar for it.

4. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Oh god, not this "fact vs opinion" **** again.

I just gave examples of uses where they are or can be useful. The video shows everything as a touch screen. Explain where there's productivity shown in the video.

cool

But the screens themselves and the rest of the hardware would cost much more. No one can afford the things in the videos, nor will anyone be using them for doing things in which they would pay off the investment. So this "future vision" of theirs only caters to the rich and those who blow money on flashy stuff they don't need.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    For the longest time nobody could afford a computer. Hell even 10-15 years ago it was thousands of dollars for a personal machine. Now you can get a usable laptop for $250. An android based PC for $100. Most companies were speculating that they'd be able to print large IPS panels for a fraction of the cost of an LCD once production ramps up. In 10 years an 80 inch touch screen with the hardware to drive it will probably be in the sub $100 range.

You specifically stated that the "ONLY" example are artists drawing or GPS screens. Which to me suggests that you don't think there are many use cases for touchscreens in useful applications. This isn't the case at all. Cars, phones, tablets, wall mounted screens, input devices for disabled people, devices that have limited access room around them, atm machines, check out lines at super markets. There are a thousand different use cases for touchscreens and the future is just going to bring a ton more.

So yeah, I do think most of this stuff is practical, in one way or another.

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Let's put this at 10 years out.

10 years ago, in 2003, the best processor you could find was a Pentium IV. Currently, within a generation or two, we will have sub 5 watt processors capable of matching that level of performance in our phones/tablets.

A pentium 4 today is garbage level hardware. My company recycles them because what else can you do with it, not a lot.

Currently, a computer like mine, or any of our's here is capable of running, unmodified, 4+ full windows virtual machines on top of the OS without issue. Honestly, the number is probably closer to 10 with something like XP. That's current, consumer level hardware.

Currently, a Nexus 7 costs 199. We could go cheaper with some chinese stuff for sub-100, but lets make it easy on our consumer. Assume we load up one for each virtual machine.

Even if we have 10 virtual machines running, with 10 tablets being served, we're looking at a 1500 dollar "server" (being very generous there) and 2000 dollars worth of tablet clients. 3500. Infrastructure isn't really necessary, because everything can be wireless, but lets even give 200 for a router and cabling.

Now extrapolate this 10 years from now. Almost everything that could be done in that video could be done on these tablets TODAY at a price that is less than what most families will pay to redo a room in their house. But in 10 years, the level of performance necessary to run what you see in this videos is a pittance, it's what we see today as "Pentium 4" performance. It's what we throw away. These are just interfaces, they aren't demanding.

tl;dr? You're wrong. We are at a level of performance where displaying interfaces will only get more efficient, not more power demanding. The parts necessary to do this can be had for very cheap, even today. This project could be undertaken, with some minor cost cutting, for the price of a high-end gaming PC.

As to the rest of you, crawl out of your holes. If you don't wanna be on facebook, stay off it. If you don't wanna hear about what kids are doing, stop trying to hang around kids, and if you think having access to all the information in the world while you're in your kitchen, bed, bathroom, or car is a bad thing, you're insane.

7. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    So you're hung up on my use of one word while missing the overall point? Well I guess then because you didn't list all 1,000 uses I'll say you're not listing every factual use and must be denying the productivity of all devices you couldn't think of!

The examples you listed I actually agree with, but again, I never denied those.

The uses in the video though are things being touch screens for the sake of them being touch screens. And Microsoft isn't the first to pitch the idea of a "futuristic smart house where everything syncs up!". Realistically though, the only improvements we actually get are things that offer better insulation, safety, or things brought on by building codes. Things that do pay off. The examples in the video are nothing more than flashy eyecandy.

edit

IPlayNaked, read what I just said above. All this stuff is flashy tech mental masturbation level stuff. If people re-do rooms they do it for some amount of payoff. Ok, so 10 years everyone can get on their Facebooks from their fridge and cook with peppers with digital chefs. Wonderful. It's all toys. So my orginal point stands, not many people are going to re-do their homes for toys.

And next person that explains to me what I already know, especially with computer hardware examples or evolution, get out.

edit

No, no it certainly will NOT be cheap, EVER. You guys are confusing older hardware being cheaper with low performance newer hardware which is not as cheap.

10 years from now OLED will be used, and so will the latest low power devices, which will be expensive because they're new.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Right, yes, I suppose if the creative portion of your brain is very small, it could be difficult to come up with uses for this kind of thing.

Examples.

Fridge, add milk, potatoes, and onions to the groceries.
    Fridge, send grocery list to my phone.

Wake up, weather is display next to the window. Calendar entries for the day, waiting. Any terminal can add to or edit the calendar for your day.

In the kitchen or dining room, your favorite news source waits next to the cereal.

Watching TV? Easier than now, your TV is connected to every online service available.

Programmable thermostat at the push of a button? Different settings for different people and different rooms. Control the thermostat from upstairs or downstairs, doesn't matter.

Intercoms between each terminal.

Recipes in the kitchen

Gym room tracks weight and exercise progress, can also display entertainment while you work out.

Notes you take anywhere, synced perfectly.

Kids get a terminal, but their's only displays their chores until they're done, then they can use it for entertainment.

Games streamed off a single gaming server downstairs, now the entire house can game seamlessly, even between terminals, without worrying about building an entirely new gaming PC.

All of it networked, all of it capable of sharing information to where you need it. Funny thing is, the entire of human history has been about people being cut off from information they need in one way or another, information that would improve their life or their station in it. Now that we have as much as we want, there are those that want to go back to that life. That's fine, but don't expect me or even the majority of people to agree with you.

Spoiler alert, there are already hundreds or thousands of companies that install these things and it isn't even sufficiently unified yet. Crawl back under your rock and go sleep.

Tell me to get out again, hahaha, what are you gonna do, you gonna ban me? Ignore me? You're new here, I get it. Try posting something useful or maybe even creative occasionally. I'm not asking for much, just for you to put a bit of thought into your posts.

You are completely delusional. I just gave you an example, the Nexus 7, which is a tablet, portable, and handheld. A tablet that has the processing power of a computer from 10-12 years ago, a higher resolution display, better quality display, touch enabled interface and screen, and wireless internet for under 200 dollars.

Show me an equivalent machine. 10 years ago, a PC of similar capability would've been hundreds more. Perhaps over a 1000. And certainly less efficient, much larger, and non-portable.

9. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Oh god, this should be fun.

Paper, pencil, how much do they cost?

Calender, hangs up on a wall, I can write anything I want.

HOLY **** WOW

Yeah, we have those now. Not a new idea, I remember a company offering internet TV back in early 2000s.

We have those, it's called a thermostat.

Some people have intercoms.

HOLY **** GROUNDBREAKING IDEA

We have those, they're called smartphones, which are junk.

Sync my life up.

And then the smart ones realize there are things like balls and bats and outside.

Sync my life up.

We have that, it's the internet.

Oh man, I better evolve so I can keep up!

"I'm sort of a big deal here cause you're new"

You're talking to a guy that still has a pentium II machine hooked up and you're going to explain PC progress. In before you make me realize that computers used to be the size of rooms!

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The way you worded your post definitely made it sound like touch screens had limited use cases, which is why I responded in the first place.

Everything you said here is such a cop out. By that logic cavemen should have never left caves because they had everything they needed to survive. Why even have computers if you can just use a pencil? I mean you're sitting here in a forum called Guru3D and you're basically preaching anti-technology because you don't agree with the use-case.

11. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    People already donĀ“t speak face to face about something personal or important too much, they text and twitt about some stupid youtube video.

May some of us remain with blood in our veins.

12. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    "The Russians used a pencil." would sum up my thinking. Because there's technology for fun and there's stuff that actually matters. My rig is for fun, computers in general are practical. Not everything needs a screen.

edit

By using cavemen analogies against people that don't gobble up or who question whether or not certain devices are warranted in certain environments is part of the problem these days. You don't have to accept every latest flashy thing they show off, because most times it's just that. Flashy.

13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I just want you to look at what I've quoted here, at the quality of your post. Do you approve of this level of quality? Genuinely think to yourself how you would react if I had posted something such as this in response to your post.

Go ahead. Your responses were absolutely shameful. There isn't a single new or compelling thought in them. There are a few absurd ones, like comparing a calendar hanging on the wall in your home and a pen to a calendar you can edit at home or on the go and is available to you anywhere you are. You can even share it with a girlfriend, wife, or colleagues. What're you gonna do to get that functionality? Take a picture of it and mail it to them? You going to carry around polaroids so you know what you're doing today?

I will end this here, for your sake, just...Look at what I've quoted, that you posted, without my content in between. Consider if that is how you want to represent yourself to everyone.

14. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Keep pumping that creativity while not being able to convince me that people "need" these things that you creatively came up with.

edit

Somebody get this man some crayons he's so creative!

edit2

Wait! Crayons are for cavemen! Get this man a tablet with a paint app so he can upload his drawings to the fridge!

15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The hilarious bit of this is, you're just staring, seething at the screen, coming up with literally the worst "witty" remarks possible and posting them one by one as you come up with them.

Jesus man, internet 101, post your post when you're finished with it. That way, we don't have to actually watch as the machinery your brain operates on slowly grinds into motion.

16. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    And now you're just falling back to "your post are bad" posts.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Ok enough. You're both just mudslinging now, it's boring.

Conclusion: Microsoft could have shown a more diverse future, but what they shown wasn't bad.

There I solved WW3.