Just cheated on nvidia for the first time.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by proliferazor, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    ah this thread is going no where lol

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Some "manufacturers" (PNY, Diamond, Visiontek) are pretty well known for jacking up their prices beyond MSRP.... Visiontek was trying to get $700 for an HD6970 at one time, and it was a reference card.

3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Generally I like nvida better when it comes to drivers however when it comes to overall aa quality, this is where ati spanks nvidia if you know what to look for on the aa settings, I always and only use supersampling or sparse grid aa on nvidia.

I recently had the ati 5XXX series, and just @ X4 Super-Sampling aa, the difference is very significant compared to nvidia X4 super sampling.

Even at X4 SSAA on ati cards, I have to jack the nvidia card up to 16XSSAA bias and still doesnt look as good as ati 4X SSAA(comes close but not just quite, some spots can be seen if you know what to look for. If I put the nvidia AA to:

32xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 8x MS] + 8X SparseGrid(Higher quality version of supersampling), now we are talking very extreme quality but at a cost of tremendous hit on vram and performance and yet if I put it on X4 SSAA on ati cards, eh, wont look as nice as nvidia 32xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 8x MS] + 8X sparse grid AA but the cost of vram and performance hit is SIGNFICANTLY lower then the nvidia settings. Just looking at screen shots here and there does absolutely no justice, you have to see very closely with 2 eyes while the game or benchmark is in motion and have to spot very closely, some instances, it can be spotted very quickly, even people without well trained eyes or know what to look for.

Both ati and nvidia has pros and cons on their own right, I like both sides.

In the longer run, I would choose nvidia cause of their drivers but thats just me.

Ati has excellent AA supersampling quality, Thats one thing I love about ati cards, you can get a lower end ati card and crank the aa down to X2 SSAA and still looks outstanding at a cost of a lil of vram and performance. nvidia IQ is very good but within the same settings, ATI hands completely down wins in this field, there is absolutely no compare here and I look at EVERYTHING while its moving, the finest detail I look at, I know how to spot things when stuff aint turned on or what not.

I might sell my gtx 590 if and when the dual ati or nvidia cards comes out. I might be looking foward to the dual new nvidia offering but still looking at the ati 7990.

cant wait for reviews on theses cards.

Also back to the 680 topic, I am kinda disappointed on the performance in some ways, with 1536 cuda cores and my gtx 590 has only 1024, I was hoping at least 25%+ jump over the gtx 590 in terms of performance on the benchmarks.

I was shocked the performance was actually lower then the asus mars II, I was hoping it would smash it in all benchmarks.

2 gigs of vram is plenty even for the most demanding anal Image quality nut like myself @ 1920X1200.

If your going something like 2560X1600 and incredibly insane AA settings, then you will need tah at least 3gig of vram or higher, 2gig, nah, not enough.

I would love to see triple or 6 way screen setup @ 2560X1600 res a piece w/totally insane aa settings, but no where enough vram for that setup or gpu power, muahaha.

w/ 1536 cuda cores, I was hoping a quite lil jumpover the gtx 590. More potential from the 680 will come when new and mature drivers are released.

I am going to pass on the 680 for now, looking foward for the dual offerings on both ati and nvidia, cant wait for those bad boys.

If I get a 680, it will be watercooled and the vrm, hopefully have a beefy one so overclocked can sky rocket to at least 1450-1500mhz but as of now, going to pass, I am more highly interested in the dual ones, been so way before 680 was even released. My last card 5970+5870.

And now gtx 590, and next will be either ati or nvidia dual offering, theses cards I am extremely interested in at the moment.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You can't go by the core count when comparing Fermi and Kepler. They're completely different architectures with different implementations for the shaders.

Personally, I've got an HD7870 coming. Actually rather excited about it. I love playing with new cards, especially new architectures. My next "upgrade" will be back with nVidia though as per my usual routine.

5. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    yeah understood on the architecture, I know, different, that has to be taken into account and very early drivers.

overclocking seems nice on theses cards however I would like to see a more beefer vrm design on this card and watercool it, should get 1500mhz with voltage tweak, damn 500mhz increase, 50%, jeez. thats what I am talking about. I just hope the dual nvidia has more beefer vrm design then the 590.

590 was a very challenging card to tune cause of the weak ass vrms, but I already knew this before I even got the card, card is great, runs cool as hell with a quad fat rad thermochill, xspc pump/res kit, xspc waterblock.

going up for sale soon, whenever the next dual card comes out, once I see them, 590 is up for sale quickly.

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    OC the 7 series and they can match the GTX 680. Not everybody can freeze their GTX 680's to obtain those crazy 1.5ghz + clocks.

Once you OC the 7 series to 1.1 ghz + they are quite powerful. 1.2ghz can be done on air with a minimal voltage increase.

To say the 680 is superior at stock speeds is correct. OC'ing though is a different story.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    And the point of this thread was...?

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not really sure. Appeared to be someone bragging about ordering an HD7950 at the start...

Wife made me agree to liquidate functional hardware if I ordered the 7870. Just finished a rather boring series of tests on my old GTX275 (sometimes, I wish the card would glitch at least once, just to prove it's not as infallible as it seems to be)....

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    uhm 680 can be oced too so that also makes your statement invalid... :bang:

10. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    awesome seems were in the same boat im waiting on a 7970 supposed to be here wednesday. Cant efing wait. Good buy dont listen to people trying to make u doubt your purchace enjoy it. The 7950 is a strong card regardless if the 680 beats it in some benchmarks ive also seen benchmarks where the 7970 beats the 680 especially in higher res. What games you going to be playing?

11. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    hes also talking about the chip being based on i think the gf104 that the 560 ti? was based on instead of the gf110 that the 580 was on so some people are speculating nvidia will be releasing an even better card by august. Some think they just reworked there lower architecture into a new high one based on that gf104 or whatever my numbers may be wrong here since i dont have the article sitting right infront of my face. Whatever there both good cards regardless.

12. cstrosser

cstrosser Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 (3GB)
    I don't know how meaningful benchmarks are when AMD still hasn't released working drivers. Either way, the GTX 680 looks like a great, high-end card.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It doesn't matter which card is faster.... What matters is that you're happy with the decision you've made. My HD7870 will be here thursday (according to UPS) and I'm excited as hell about it. Chances are, my folding performance is going to suffer...but I've been waiting for this card since details about it's architecture were released. No, it's not the fastest card on the planet....but I'm a tight wad and can't justify the cost of the 7950 or 7970.

GTX680 is based on GK104

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Thats also problematic.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What exactly is supposed to be wrong with the drivers?

Always nice to get a list of issues I won't experience....

I'll probably have corrupt drivers after I change cards ago....lol. 3 cards in the course of 3hrs.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    i thought that would be big news. oh you havent heard? i had thought everyone had heard.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I tend to avoid AMD driver threads. In the past, it was nothing but flaming and arguing. Nothing constructive or informative at all.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well most (nearly all, tbh) complaints come from CF users regarding lack of support in games.

Personally I have not had a single problem since buying this card 6mths ago....so go figure...:3eyes:

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    7950 can't be disappointed by this card really @ 925mhz nearly as fast as 7970 which is funny. and goes till 1200 no problems whatsoever :p i wan't arctic accelero for mine tho before testing 1250 and more cause this thing is a plane. and new processor cause well what is the point when i get 50% gpu usage on 1200 in bf3 multiplayer :D

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    never really had problems with ati drivers. never understood all the crying about them but well maybe i'm just lucky :eek: . CF and SLI both are bit hmmm hit and miss so that figures.