Is the GTX 660 Ti Compatible with my PC

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Gyyn, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Gyyn

Gyyn Guest

GPU:
    512MB Geforce 7600 GS
    I was looking to buy the GTX 660 Ti 2gb Video Card, but I'm newb with computers and wouldn't know how to tell if it's compatible. Most of my PC information is displayed on my profile, if there's any additional information needed I can find it(Was too lazy to open up my PC to find out my PSU, but I can if needed).

If the card isn't compatible, could you recommend something compatible with the same(Or better) performance for around the same price?

2. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    Duh... What's your PSU?

If PSU is good enough, GTX 660 Ti would work, but would be severely bottlenecked by your CPU. Not really worth buying, unless you're planning to upgrade CPU/MB/RAM in the near future.

3. Gyyn

Gyyn Guest

GPU:
    512MB Geforce 7600 GS
    Well, that's lower than I expected... Only 230 watts :l. Have any suggestions on an upgrade to the CPU for a good price? I'm on a bit of a budget and upgrading is currently my cheaper alternative to just selling my PC and building a completely new one.

4. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    I think you're looking at voltage, not wattage. Is it 230W or 230V? Also look for manufacturer and exact model.

Could be possible to upgrade to some Core 2 Quad, depending on your motherboard. But it's not worth investing on old LGA775 platform.

What's your budget? And current specs (motherboard, RAM and PSU)?

5. Gyyn

Gyyn Guest

GPU:
    512MB Geforce 7600 GS
    Budget is between 400-600$, not much to build a brand new PC but I think I can get some decent upgrades in.

RAM is at about 3.6GB.
    Motherboard name seems to be... Unknown, according to this program, though it says
    Motherboard ID:C55-MCP51-P5N-ESLI-00

You'll have to give me a bit to post PSU... This tower is a monster to open up and the PSU is almost impossible to get to, but that's what I have for now.

6. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    Your motherboard is ASUS P5N-E SLI, RAM is DDR2.

Find out what PSU you have. Also what connector your HDD and ODD have (SATA or IDE)?

For 600$ you could get a decent upgrade to i5 and GTX 660/HD 7870 if you can reuse your HDD/ODD/case.

7. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
  8. Gyyn

Gyyn Guest

GPU:
    512MB Geforce 7600 GS
    Just double checked on the PSU and the wattage is definitely at 230. I couldn't get a good look at a model or manufacturer, as I'd have to disconnect every bit of wiring to get a good look at the sticker, but at 230 I might want to just upgrade anyway.

How could I find that Hard Drive info?

9. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    If you can reuse your HDD, ODD and case, but can't reuse PSU:

Intel Core i5 3470
    ASRock Z75 Pro3
    Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 2GB GC
    OR Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB OC
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Seasonic M12II 520W

Subtotal: $599.95. i5 3470 can be overclocked to around 4GHz. If you want more OC, there's i5 3570K for extra $20.

Through system information software, HDD model or simply by looking at its cable. SATA is a thin (usually red) cable while IDE is a wide flat ribbon cable.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  10. Gyyn

Gyyn Guest

GPU:
    512MB Geforce 7600 GS
    Alright, HDD seems to be SATA.

Would it be possible to simply replace the Video Card, CPU & PSU without having to purchase a new motherboard & other components?

600$ is probably my high limit, so I'm trying to get as low as possible without getting any dirt-quality cheap parts.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

11. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Sure but you would get much less performance per $.. With a rig as dated as that it is by far best to replace all the core components at once rather then upgrade as little as you can. Getting a i5 quad + 660/7870 now should last several years at least at 1080p highish settings.

12. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
  13. Gyyn

Gyyn Guest

GPU:
    512MB Geforce 7600 GS
    Thank you for all of the suggestions :p. I've got a pretty good idea of what I can make out of this money now.

Would you recommend coughing up the extra 10$ for the M12 over the B12 PSU?

14. FoXkill

FoXkill Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX560 SLI @ 975Mhz
  15. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    that is not wattage. that is voltage

16. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    What B12? You mean S12II? If so, difference between M12II and S12II is that M12II is modular while S12II isn't. Another difference between posted models is wattage. For system with i3 3220 and single HD 7850 S12II 430W is more than enough, but M12II 520W is well worth extra $10, in case you want to upgrade to a faster video card or drop in an overclockable i5. Or both. Additionally, modular design will help with improve airflow in case.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It appears he is running a 32-bit OS, so RAM limitations MUST be taken into account. If you go to a 1GB video card, you will lost another half a gigabyte of system RAM. If you go to a 2GB card, you will effectively cripple your system. Since the GTX 660 Ti is a 2GB video card, I would say it is NOT compatible with your system.

To summarise, it will work, but not only will be it be bottlenecked by the CPU, it will limit your system RAM to the point where it will severely detriment performance.

The minimum upgrade you can do to have it so performance isn't severely compromised is to get a second hand (for instance) Q9400 CPU (run it at 400FSB), and purchase Windows 7 or 8 x64.