Ubisoft changes Anno 2070 DRM after Guru3D critique

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 20, 2012.

1. gorg_graggel

gorg_graggel Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 7970 3GB
    i think most devs would actually gladly party with you on that pirate party...

but there just aren't lots of publishers with that much money, that are not jerks...so pay them and they'll sign a contract with you...

2. FedericoUY

FedericoUY Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti Strix
    That's great from Ubisoft, and is great to know that Guru3d will continue doing reviews of titles from Ubisoft..

3. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Good Game Hilbert!

4. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    I think they should specify all the hash used to identify the PC.
    Like if I increase or decrease my RAM or add a sound card.
    This situation was just an indication that we never know what schemes are being cooked up to prevent us from playing games that were legally purchased.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well Done Hilbert :thumbup: , its a small win , but a win nonetheless , but i think one step at a time its good , Hopefully someday they will remove this Hard/Bad DRM options as well as the ALWAYS Online to play thing. Let's get this moving , the more media attention this gets the more likely they will drop the use or modify this issues. I will repost this at my other Home Base Websites :) , to get this information flowing and keep it viral on the web...

6. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    glad to have helped...and Hilbert...Id actually be interested in seeing a REVIEW of DRM's..their effectiveness...their ineffectiveness...etc...I think this opened up a nice can of worms..lets keep digging :D

7. psolord

psolord Active Member

GPU:
    4070ti/3060ti/6600+
    I am really sorry that such protections exist. The guy that will pirate, will pirate anyway, so will bypass the DRM altogether, so what's the point making legal purchasers suffer?

I for one own three PCs and I like my Gaming as much as my benchmarks. Do I have to shiver in fear everytime I fancy to test a new configuration? Hell no.

I am really sorry that such a gem like Anno gets hit by this. Can someone fire the guys that make these calls? Thanks!

8. UmbraVulpes

UmbraVulpes Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570
    I was tempted to get Anno, but this still makes it a no-go. When I buy a game I expect that *I* own it, not that it's essentially a gift for me to give to my computer up to three times. There should at least be a way to retrieve activations.

This sort of idiocy coupled with their always online drm must be really hurting Ubisofts sales, it's the DRM hurting you guys not the pirates.

9. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Wow cheers indeed, such acts of generosity makes me blush with glee, how kind of you as to let your paying customers play the games they have bought.

This is truly a sign of your almost god like love and dedication to pc gamers around the world.

We should have a day of worship so us blessed can shower you in kind words of love for this stunning act of selflessness.

"cheers" indeed.

10. kzinti1

kzinti1 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    So, in a world of starving people craving a meal free of DRM, UbiSoft tossed us all a cocktail weiner. Big deal.

11. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    My thoughts exactly. Well put.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    more like a half eaten cocktail weiner....

13. Wise lnvestor

Wise lnvestor New Member

GPU:
    HD 4890
    Glad to see a tiny progress. Let our voices be heard, DRM does absolutely nothing to pirates, only to hinder legit paying costumers.

Keep up the good work Hilbert.

14. mhyug

mhyug Guest

GPU:
    sd
    diablo 3 is another title that is hell bent on following this drm route, tho they are on the "online only" boat wch is plain stupid imo.

so what if they are intro-ing the auction house or what ever crap using money, doesnt mean a user is robbed of offline play.i think what they overlooked is that the inetenet is not as open or as widely used yet or better said its still hasnt reached the human race in general.

their lost, not every one has internet and not every one can or will make money from games.if i want to make money, i get a job, i play games for the sake of playing not as work.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, thankfully it's a game i will likely never play, but Diablo 3 will still sell an enormous amount, even with always on DRM.
    So while many will argue that overall the top DRM does nothing to stop piracy, the other side will claim that it also doesn't make any appreciable dent in sales either if it's a game people wan't to play.

Unfortunately DRM is here to stay, next gen consoles will no doubt also be plagued with it too, can easily see always on for them too, or retail games that only work on the first console they are played on.

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    So basically every time your machine changes, the DRM is a pain. Why haven't they come up with a DRM that hooks itself to a machine and when stuff changes it gives you a little survey, asking what part you've changed and then checks if everything else is still there?

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    because that would be the smart thing to do. which ubisoft doesnt know how to do.

18. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Activations are fully reset every 3 months.

19. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    heh :D after reading some post with even more insight we shouldnt celebrate this at all..
    they take away all rights, then after a bit of whinning they give us back 1small right(to change vga) and no we are suddenly so contented.

Yeah good thought about that 5years later we will be replacing pc at least once.. or just to give game to a brother or a father..

20. TheCakeIsaLie

TheCakeIsaLie Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970
    While DRM sux, some of you should get the facts straight.

One will still be able to play the game in some years, or after many hardware changes, as long as one doesnt make 3 subsequent changes in one month, because the activations fill up over time. I think it was 1 activation per month.