The pub dead?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Stukov, Apr 9, 2012.

1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i quit posting on a number of other forums due to similar. either their mostly dead or over moderation which always ends up in a mostly dead or very boring forum...like pcpitstop for instance. it starts with one part like the Pub and moves to the rest eventually.
    So far for me, Anandtech's forum is the only other lively tech forum i'm aware of. prolly quit posting here at some point too and either stay on anand's or find another that appears lively and interesting. Techpowerup isn't too bad either.

2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ^they got avatars lol

3. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    The locking is a problem.

People which cannot discuss topics without resulting to petty insults make topics go out of whack real quick.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Just 1 question where is the stanley cup thread this year?

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm not sure if this has any relation but it's time for finals for many post-secondary students, at least in Canada and I think the States as well ... so...

deltatux

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Notice: The following is simply MY opinion and does not represent the opinions of G3D, any of it's affiliates or the mods.

Some threads should be closed, such as:
    Threads concerning governments/laws of countries you're not a citizen of.
    Threads concerning oil or wars...
    Threads flaming other forums, forum members, mods or questioning bans.

These types of threads really have no place in this forum. If I were to start a thread about other countries' governments based on what's stated on my local news or even youtube, I'd look like the most uneducated poster on this forum.

[/opinion]

In the US, public high school's usually have their finals in early/mid-June....colleges in mid-late May. Mid-terms for colleges are usually in March with High schools being in April right before spring break. Of course, this is subject to vary by state and school district/type.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  7. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    The Pub is dead, long live The Pub.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The pub dead ? heck no -- Don't be silly.

First, the mods do not like to close threads, yet do have a very good understanding as to what posts will cause problems, hence they will close them if the deem that to be the right thing to do.

If they close it too late, it's a problem , if they close it too soon ... it's a problem as well. Moderating is not an easy task friends.

Secondly, the pub is still very much active, but not at the same activity as its used to. I've stated it before, but the global crisis is making a lot of people a little depressed and they seek other stuff to spend time on. That's all ok, it's always has had its ups and downs in this section.

Regardless, we have one of the most excellent forums on the web, and as I always state -- it's you guys that make these forums, we merely host the platform.

So with that said, let's lift spirits a little and have some fun.

Now let me get back to working on Guru3D.com v4.0 ;)

Hilbert - grabs a beer :)

9. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    guru3d 4.0...? sounds good. :) will it have avatars? i miss those. any idea when it's done?

10. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ^when vBulletin solves the security issues

11. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    most other fora have avatars - are they using something different from vbulletin?

12. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    pub is for general discussion

except this, that, and just about anything that's worth discussing.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i like Avatars only because it makes it quick and easy to scroll through a page and find where i left off last. Otherwise i have to scroll slowly and read...i actually hate reading. Oddly enough, its the only reason i care about Avatars

14. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yea.. now it feels monotonous when scrolling =/

15. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You were clearly talking about the one I closed.

If you have a problem. Grow some balls and PM me about it. I think anyone who has PM'd me in the past would agree I've always been pretty helpful.

What you're seeing isn't a problem with threads being locked, but the troublemakers being banned because they have constantly pushed the boundaries. A lot of their random bullcrap is gone and the pub is quieter.

Many of the mods have been around for a long time. We see which ones are going to start massive problems before they even start. But if you guys want to play nice for a change, we can start leaving them open.

Don't put the blame onto the Mods or Admins for YOUR inability to keep things on track and in a civil manner.

16. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    No. My post wasn't any thread in particular, the question was brought on by threads I've seen locked with only one post while still be on the front page after a few days. The pub used to hardly keep a post on the front in a matter of hours and I simply wanted to discuss the change I noticed. I have zero problem with you and don't even recall you locking anythreads, if there is one person I could recall offhand that I remember locking something is hallyru and like I said I don't have any problem with any specific thread being closed or a moderator closing them.

That's a good point. This was the point of the post, discuss it and share ideas. I wasn't sure why there was a change and this explanation makes the most sense.

Like Hilbert said the forum is what we make of it and if we do have some of the trouble makers gone, maybe its possible.

I wasn't blaming anyone, if I recall corectly I even gave props to the nods for their tireless work you guys do. I also didn't have a problem with any specific thread being closed just thought for a while this place was the wild west for a while and the pendulum had to swing one way towards enforcement to fix those issues, and I believe myself and other gurus are thankful for the work you guys did. It was just the desire to have an open and frank discussion like adults where and why the current position of the pendulum is and if its possible to stop or slow it down.

17. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Come on bro. [​IMG]

18. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
  19. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Memes heal all wounds.

20. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Dunno about that, but good beer does.

Beer ? What beer? :)

We actually need a beer thread. Few days ago had some Rochefort 10, damn it was good (11,3%). Recommended to everyone who likes good beer.

I do also like Westmalle Trippel and other stuff like that.