Is Hibernate essentially the same as Shutdown?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darren Hodgson, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm curious about the Hibernate feature, which seems to shutdown my PC as it would if I'd selected Shutdown but on pressing a key or a mouse button it loads up and resumes from how I left Windows.

Two questions:

1. Is this the same as Shutdown in that if I unplug my PC after Hibernating it, would Windows load up as normal rather than complain about an improper shutdown (since I'd turned off the power...I would guess this would be the case with Sleep mode)?

2. Is Hiberate a good idea to use on Windows that is installed on an SSD? From my testing, Hibernate seems to boot up a little bit quicker to the desktop than from a cold boot but not by much. However, the fact that all the system tray apps and stuff are instantly loaded as soon as the desktop appears does make it feel almost instant as from a cold boot it takes 10-15 seconds longer form all those system tray apps to finish loading.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The windows kernel is suspended in the default windows 8 shutdown(technically a hibernate), which is not the same as a real shutdown. If you select hibernate, it suspends apps and the the windows kernel, drivers etc and unplug, you may as well unplugged it while it was on

I prefer to not use hibernate, less issues.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    1, it wouldnt complain yes, its not shut down though it's just suspended to hard drive

2, not really, if you're on a ssd the difference would be small and it's not worth the wear

Just use suspend tbh, the electricity costs are minimal.

Hibernate is the same as suspend in a way, except that instead of keeping the RAM and whatever else it needs on, it writes it to disk and shuts down (near complete off), its a mid way between off and suspend.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hibernation is like sleep, but instead of keeping stuff in ram it stores in on your HDD/SSD.

Every time you put it to hibernation it will make a image to HDD/SSD and then resume from HDD/SSD, some say its not good to use hibernation on SSDs..

Edit: like others said :nerd:

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I'd probably disable Hibernation if using an SSD to reclaim the space it uses, not sure how that would affect Win 8.x fast boot feature though

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    What has triggered my interest in Hibernate is a thread on this forum from someone asking about wear and tear on a motherboard and how leaving it on 24/7 would likely extend its life more than constantly turning the PC off and on. I've just had to replace a dodgy nearly four year old PSU and I was wondering if me turning my PC off and on twice a day on average had diminished its lifespan. Luckily (I guess), my PSU just died quietly and did not explode and take half my components with it! I was wondering if Hibernating or Sleeping were better in the long-term for PC components.

P.S. I had to use the Hibernate option to get the audio back on my X-Fi Titanium HD card (and it worked and still does work after a restart) but for some reason I can put my PC to sleep but I cannot wake it up (I wake my PC from Hibernating though).

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I've been doing it like that since forever, I have PC in same room and my old Tagan lasted for over 5years..Although it almost survived 2nd lightning strikes.

I do same thing now with this PC atm, its now officially over 1 year old and np :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    They are full of it. No load =s no stress on components. Caps are usually the first thing to do go, which usually die from heat exhaustion, high load etc. So no, cold boot everyday will not affect lifespan.

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Also, leaving it on 24/7 would use more energy to the point where you may as well replace it when it breaks.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I agree that it won't affect lifespan in a noticable fashion, but it's nonsense to say that cold boot has no negative affects at all. Most PSU's on the market have a jumpstart ripple that's a lot higher than normal load. And ripple is what eats caps over time. With top quality power supplies it's less of an issue of course.

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    turning the system on and off is more wear and tear then leaving the system running.

hell there was a system that ran for 16 years without being shutdown.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'm still wondering how long my PSU will last. Antec TruePower Quattro 850W. Already replaced the fan, it's over 6 or 7 years old now (lost count).

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hibernation is archaic, it was basically superseded by S3.
    Either way best option is to disable and it use sleep mode especially for fast booting. Or power down completely if you're pedantic about power usage. :p

open cmd and run powercfg -h off

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  14. Derragon

Derragon Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670/2GB
    The Hibernate function on Windows is this:

When you select Hibernate, Windows takes all of the memory and stores it to a file called hiberfil.sys; Windows then proceeds to shut down the system normally, but adds a boot flag to tell it that instead of booting normally the next time it is turned on, to boot and load hiberfil.sys to memory. At this point, Windows will go to the Logon screen. This is referred to as an S4 State (Hibernation/Suspend to Disk)

Suspend, on the other hand, simply shuts down nearly all components and puts the system into the S3 State (referred to as Suspend to RAM), which keeps the RAM powered to retain its data.