hdmi outputs only 2 channel audio, any way to force 5.1?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Sever, May 26, 2010.

1. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/TX-SR507.html

In case you want to get a real audio receiver with HDMI... that will definitely do 5.1... and 7.1 and also the bluray HD audio... oh and you must also get separate professional speakers for it

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  3. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah, I have a love affair with Wharfedale :)

5. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    You must have a "hate affair" with your neighbors. Lol
    I have a wharfedale cube sub but the rest is nice but OLD ESS which I don't think is even made anymore...
    Can't listen to it nearly as loud as I'd want, anyway.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well I've never heard them complaining :D

The set in that link aren't mine.

I have the more affordable Diamond 8's that do the job very nicely, along with a 10" PowerCube sub, and NAD floorstanders.

All powered by a Sony FTW! 7.1x 100w RMS HT amp. :)

7. Steppis

Steppis Master Guru

GPU:
    2xXFX 5870 "XT" Crossfire
    Ive quoted that from another thread on this forum that i posted on. This is tho for the 3650 card.. ive not read so mutch up on the 5 series card regarding the audio part of it.

Maybe to some help or not.. i just tought i'll post it.

"Ive googled up some info for you with the 3650 card. The 3650 card seems not to support multichannel lpcm. The card uses Spdif to pass trough the sound and thats limited to 5.1 bitstream or 2.0 PCM as i read."

8. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    hmm, i think i'll just stick to 2 channel output from my pc then, and then leave the receiver on dolby pro logic 2 mode, as its only my pc that has issues passing through 5.1. ps3 passes through 5.1 with no issues.

thanks for the help.

hmm, for some reason, i find this sony one to be sexy.

[​IMG]

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Do you have an "auto" setting on ur amp?

Pro logic is just surround, not DD..u know that right?

10. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i know, pro logic is just an attempt at taking advantage of a 5.1 system using a 2 channel audio input.

theres a multichannel setting on the amp that will only use 2 speakers if 2 channel input is detected, and 5.1 if 5.1 input is detected.

i still think its more likely to be an issue with the driver or something. as ive mentioned, my ps3 has no issues doing true 5.1 despite also having to pass through my tv.

perhaps i'll look into getting a digital audio switchbox, if they exist.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Is this with games or movies, if its games, then its normal, if its movies, then something definetly is wrong, my friend can get 5.1 from movies even though his is going through his TV.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No No No No..... that's why it isn't working.

The TV does send info to the receiver - but only when you're watching Television, because then the sound source is the TV.

If you're watching a DVD or something from your PC, you need to plug the link from your sound source into the amp (receiver).

The amp should have a monitor out plug for your TV, if it doesn't, then you need to plug the video source straight into the TV.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Some TV's do, my TV has an optical out for sending audio input over HDMI out ot an external receiver, but this obviously wont work for getting 5.1 PC games, it does work on the 360/PS3 though.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That may be true (though I've not heard about it), but his Panasonic system is an all-in-one-box set, if you catch my drift..

I would be surprised if it had an input for a TV...

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^That didn't sound right, but hopefully you know what I mean..

This TV would have to need a decoder which I doubt.

I mean it's a bit silly plugging HDMI into TV then to amp, KINDA MEANS TGHE tv IS DOING THE JOB THAT THE AMP IS IS MEANT TO DO.

i HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE, i'M RATHER MUNTED ATM :)

16. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    actually, its as redemption80 has said.

i have my pc, ps3 and dvd player (receiver) hooked up to the tv via hdmi.

then the tv outputs the audio to the receiver via the optical out. pretty sure ive stated this before, but i probably typed digital instead of optical.

and like redemption80's situation, the ps3 can pass through 5.1 channel through the hdmi cable through the tv and straight to the receiver, and i get true 5.1 through the receiver.

however, in the case of the pc, the radeon will only pass 2 channel audio through the tv to the receiver. hence, i was curious this whole time why a ps3 has no issues doing it but a pc has issues.

hence, i'll probably have to get an optical audio switcher, like this one http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AC1675&keywords=optical+switch&form=KEYWORD

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Have you even tried connecting it straight to the amp?

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Pill Monster, the TV doesn't need a decoder, all its doing is passing the digital signal through untouched.

Sever, As earlier, is this with movies or games?
    With movies it should work fine, but with games it won't work as the PS3 can send game audio out as DD/DTS while a PC can't, at least not in a normal situation without something like DDlive etc...

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^ Yeah that's what I meant - wrong choice of words. It's passthrough mode...

Just thinking, I bet Winamp would sound really good in DDL or DTS Interactive...

Are you even sure it's encoded in 5.1, and not stereo?

20. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    ive been testing it using the movie 'never back down' on dvd, with audio set to dolby digital 5.1, so yeah, pretty sure its encoded in 5.1.

easy to test on a dvd as i can run the same dvd through my pc, the ps3, and the dvd/receiver for comparison.

pc still doesnt do 5.1 whilst the ps3 and dvd/receiver can handle 5.1 no issues.

@redemption80 - its all audio, ranging from windows desktop sound effects, to music, to dvd movies, to games. it will only play in stereo.

i d prefer true 5.1 compared to dolby pro logic ii, but its better than nothing until i can find a local seller for an optical switchbox.