Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Yes, yes it is.

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well, the monitors do exist... but i'm not exactly sure how well, if at all, a multi-touchscreen setup would work. I think i just read about one company releasing a HD multitouch monitor of i think 24" in size... but that's also a ~$800 monitor.

3. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I've been using it on an HP G60 laptop that I dedicated to learning Win8 that's attached to a 3M M2467PW multi-touch.
    I assume that what I experience has got to be pretty much exactly the same as what a Windows 8 tablet would feel like... only larger. (large enough that in fact, I end up using a wireless mouse and the laptop's keyboard because my arms get tired just swiping from screen to screen, etc.

Overall though, Windows 8 is totally set for multitouch. Playing with Google Earth is kind of a cool experience as compared to using a mouse/keyboard, and any touch-responsive games are pretty cool as well.
    I've even taken it as far as installing BlueStacks on my install of Win8 and tested a BUNCH of games and apps for Android, which also works just like having a 24" tablet. Pretty cool, but really, Windows 8 is a cleaner, more efficient experience and is a good stepping stone to the holographic computers "of the future" (from circa 1990's LOL)

Just wait until Kinect gets hooked into this system... it really won't be long until our front door will open because it recognizes you, and as you enter your home with both your hands full of groceries/etc, you have a three-dimensional holographic information telling you who called in your absence and starts playing the message they left after simply focusing on on it. This is what we've been working for for many, many years. COMPLETE integration where computers really don't exist anymore and we all just have a set-top-box and a subscription to Microsoft Windows where everything is cloud-based and no one really "owns" anything anymore.

Anyway, that was a great tangent I went off on. ;)
    Touch capabilities are pretty cool, but right now, really are just a growing phase - a stepping stone to what's coming.

Psychlone

4. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    @ Psych

Yeah my thoughts exactly...

[​IMG]

5. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    God, i love the simplicity and minimalism!

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No-cost desktop software development is dead on Windows 8

http://arstechnica.com/information-...op-software-development-is-dead-on-windows-8/

Wankers.

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    So?
    VS2010 Express can do just that and is still available.
    Those who are still learning the ropes don't need to use the latest, and VS2010 is still more widely used than VS2011.
    Professionals usually use the paid version anyway.

Don't really get what's the fuss about it.
    It's not like MS restricts access to VS2010 Express.

8. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    nvm.....

9. atikabubu

atikabubu Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 SE 768
    Hey guys (and gals :p), can i update the Consumer Preview to Release Preview? I'm not in a mood of doing the whole backup/format ritual right now. :S

10. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ... you're actually using it as a primary OS? I've only installed it on it's own partition, with barely enough space for a few extras and such. Hell, i hardly ever even boot into it.

11. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nope, have to do a clean install....which you'll have to do if you "upgrade" when it's released later this year anyway.

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    ok really, I installed 8 in vmware and no games,solitair and minesweeper not there.....:( and pinball fx. I was able to play it in the consumer release, why not this release

what am I supposed to do on other people computers that running windows 8. boring

sucks even more for people that live in the middle of nowhere and only have time limited dialup(my grandma).she love solitair. she will have to stay with windows 7.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  14. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    There is a faster way to transfer data other than dial up for your grandma it's called satellite.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    In Windows 7 Pro, games weren't installed by default. You can probably install them now too from "Turn Windows features on or off" place or what ever they call it nowadays.

16. Teko

Teko Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    LOL at this being a con.

17. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    After trying it, these are my pros and cons:

Pros:
    -- Metro UI Menu
    - Start button removed
    - Ribbons everywhere
    - Ability to open PowerShell or command prompt from a folder

Cons:
    - No Aero
    - Boot time seems longer
    - File Manager doesn't have tabbed browsing

18. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I'm pretty sure i remember seeing Aero when viewing the desktop. Of course it won't be there when using the Metro UI, since it wouldn't really have a place for it.

As for boot time... i dunno about on a HDD... but on a SSD, it's freakin incredible. Takes longer for my computer to go through all the POST crap than it does for W8 to boot up.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Are you being sarcastic? :p

20. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    I hope so,

If not, someone needs to buy this poor SOB a $15 flash drive and load it full of portable apps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.