i7 920 C0, how high can it go?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by signex, Dec 3, 2013.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Hey guys,

Building a new rig tomorrow, i bought the best all in one CPU water cooling kit.
    It's the Swiftech H220, wasn't cheap, and they are not being made anymore i've heard.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte X58 UD5, and CPU is i7 920 C0, heard the D0 can OC higher.

With this beast cooler, how high could i OC this CPU?

I know it's a old CPU, but i got it for a sweeeet sweeet price, just 120 euro's for both CPU and motherboard. :D!

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I managed to get mine at the time to 3.8 stable with a true black on air.

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Could i reach 4,2ghz with a high end watercooler?

Is it still a beast CPU you think? For more money i could buy new fx6300/8120 setup but thought intel would be better for gaming.

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Seems a reasonable limit. The D0 chips can get to 4.2 GHz plus no issues. Had my old 950 D0 at 4.4 for a while.

Might be pushing it at 4.2. Still probably faster than the 8120. You'll get a whole bunch more headroom with HT off.

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Thanks, i'm just gaming so i'll turn HT off then. :)
    Only Crysis 3 benefits from HT right? or are there more games?

I could get the 950 pretty cheap, around 80-120 euro, some are still sealed.
    Or might wait till i can afford a 6 core i7, but for now they are 300+. :(

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Dont bother get a 920 d0 or 930, they oc better. There are some decent 950's but from what ive seen there in the minority just like the 940.

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Alright i'll take that in mind, but for now i have to make due with this 920 C0.

I'll try hit 4ghz tomorrow and report back.

edit: 1 person selling it for 120 euros here locally.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I had mine at 3.8 for a while but it ran really hot. 3.6 seemed like the sweet spot for me. Traded it for a D0 chip that hit 4.0 easily.

It's still a great CPU though. Shouldn't have much problems running games.

9. urbangangsta101

urbangangsta101 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX980 SLI
    I had a i7 920 C0 and a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard. Worked at 3.3GHz flawlessly.

Could get it to a stable 4GHz with about 1.36v vcore but the motherboard was odd and 'forgot' the BIOS settings if i (a)overclocked that much and (b) powerd the system off at the wall plug socket overnight. (No warnings, just reset 'some' of the settings to defaults)

To combat this, i just left it always powered via the wall (computer just shut down overnight) Worked fine like that for months then suddenly corrupted my OS and blew up my Logitech G510 keyboard. Good times.

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Lol really? well i hope i have better luck. :D

I bought it used from a trusted seller, so i'm guessing this one does not have tho's issues.

I do remember having a Gigabyte mothrboard that had the same issue as you, not saving the bios settings.

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well i'm at 3.99 :) with a CO...

so i'd have thought 4ghz with a do and a good cooler def poss. just luck of the draw though. 4.2 ghz perhaps but not seen many so far, am sure i saw one or two guru's that high, check around the net...

mine takes a fair ol whack of vcore (1.35625) to get stable.

still winter+water. no probs!

p.s never turned off ht myself. see no need.

12. urbangangsta101

urbangangsta101 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX980 SLI
    @signex - True story, wasn't able to reinstall my OS until i reset the BIOS, was very odd. The GA-EX58-UD5 was always quite unstable...

It's a good CPU though, only sold mine recently as i was itching for some new toys!

My 4770K @ 4.4GHz isn't that much better then my old 920 @ 4GHz tbh...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I believe you, but i guess you was just unlucky?
    Can't find these issues on the internet, neither does the guy who sold it said he had issues.

But we'll see, it got delayed for unknown reasons, have to wait till tomorrow. :(

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    This.....The only thing I get a noticable improvement on is converting videos with Handbrake. I should have saved my money and upgraded my GPU first

15. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    why i havent upgraded my cpu yet! might do next time though...

can always post my settings op when u get yours. might work. interesting to see your temps with 1.35 vcore..

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Yeah please do. :)

Was pretty dissapointed that i didn't got it today, i got everything else today, ram and CPU cooler.

Should i leave HT on too?

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i always have...some say it's easier when overclocking. i'd try leaving it on at the start.

i forget the reasoning behind it but guessing it means more stress on the cores. but surely this would affect temps for the most part rather than anything to do with stability.

i guess the more things the cpu is doing the more chance it has to say no thanks!

p.s veteran and myself posted our settings in another thread so can dig it up for u...

18. urbangangsta101

urbangangsta101 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX980 SLI
    HT just generates a bit of extra heat, just get a decent cooler

When i was running mine at 4GHz i had HT turned ON. Using a Corsair H60 (2013 Edition) for cooling. Running Intel Burn Test for 12h and the temps reached around 80c max.

With HT off, it was about 10c cooler but my 3DMark Score was a lot lower. HT Does make a difference in some games...

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Ok installed everything, booted first time (like always, me=pro builder).

CPU is 23-22c on idle with HT on. :D

Throw me the settings and i'll try to see if mine works with it.

Have to install everything first though and apps.

Edit: Ok i think i got it stable at 3,8ghz, 1.42v, ram at 1200mhz. 42-45c idle, 62-70c full load@Prime95 with HT on.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  20. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    1.42v? that seems like a lot but if your temps are ok...(if so thats one hell of a cooler to keep your temps 70c under load).

mmm could try mine at that and see if i can do 4.2 ghz. am pretty sure my vcore is 1.35625 last time i checked..