First Unreal Engine 4 Screenshots

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 17, 2012.

1. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Skyrim doesn't have diffuse reflection from dynamic lights, UE 4 has :p
    I'm just waiting for next month and hope someone will release a more technical article about it.

Edit: Here is another article which seems to be a TL;DR version of the wired article http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ag_this_industry_into_the_next_generation.php

This part sounds interesting "Furthermore, Unreal Engle 4 has features that are designed to shorten production pipelines and lower production costs, such as allowing developers to see many of the changes they've made to a game (e.g. lighting elements) immediately, without having to wait for those edits to take effect."

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    Man, it has been wat too freaking long since the last Unreal Tourney games. We NEED some new Unreal Next Gen shiz, right freaking now!!!!!

3. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Diminishing returns. I think the detail looks great in some of those shots.

4. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    What we need is a new fully fledged Unreal 3 single player campaign. AND THEN some new UT.

Also as Xendance so rightly said don't just gawk at the screens and read the actual article on top. Sounds hella impressive to me.

5. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Yup I just read that and i love this "details in landscapes miles away". That's what todays engine can't handle nicely..And since this is the first UE4 engine i guess more revision will get more features just like UE3 now :)

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm fully aware of that. It's just that I don't see anything that trumps CryEngine 3. For example volumetric shadowing in CryEngine 3 is pretty darn awesome for particle (smoke) shadowing.

7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    if you look at the sky and mountains picture, it's impressive, but i think we'll be seeing this volumetric clouds and lighting and background realism in the upcoming game Sniper ghost warrior 2, other then that it looks on par with CE3 and Frostbite 2, there is no AWW effect.

8. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Guess I'm in the 1/4 club that finds this rather impressive. UE4 is looking to be one really advanced engine.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm not saying that it doesn't look good. I'm just saying that it doesn't look any better than what you could do with other advanced engines.

10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i know mate, i agree with u totally, my quote is to say my opinion about the mountains image, if u've seen sniper ghost warrior 2 screens u'll see similarities, meaning it's on par with cryengine 3 and nothing more.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Loved the fact the article stated that Epic is pushing for a quantum leap forward for console hardware. Now I can appreciate the simple fact that not even current highed hardware is able of rendering what this new engine is capable of. Just hoping the developers/major studios do not bet the farm on trashy mobile apps.

This article puts into perspective what was mentioned in an earlier statement Mr. Sweeny made. My anxiety was misplaced. Hate it when journalists present statements out of context. The best visuals, UE4, is being pitched to consoles. Hate it or love it, consoles are what is keeping the gaming industry afloat at the moment. Hoping for better ports.

EDIT: What seems to being missed by most is that the visuals currently displayed may be on par with other engines but the ease at which they can be created is beyond those others.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Now that you mentioned that game... Yeah, looks really similar.

13. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Since they built it with consoles in mind, I wonder if they scaled the engine back due to the weaker hardware rumored to be in 720/ps4?

I have to say I see nothing here that doesn't look like it can't be done now on a current PC. I'll agree with the people that said Unreal Engine 3 blew me away, this is kinda..whatever.

Is it just me or did the Samaritian demo running on Unreal Engine 3.5 look more impressive than these shots?

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well Epic have apparently saw the specs and are pushing for them to be improved, so possibly, would like to know how well this was running on the 680, as the Samaritan demo was only 30fps, so curious what this was.

Samaritan is better looking to me, but videos tend to look better than stills, and it was a much more flashy demo as well.

15. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Unreal engine has always been popular for game development and the titles usually run very well. Looking forward to having a lot of different titles to choose from that have top-tier visuals.

16. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    But the Samaritian demo didn't have so many tiny particle effects on screen.

Check the tiny red/yellow particles of fire (or what ever it is) or snow, by the looks of it I think its CUDA/PhysX powered.

17. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    [​IMG]

It's pretty impressive :p
    There's a lot more to this engine though :) Certainly one to look forward to.

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Looks pretty good but not THAT good as when UE3 first surfaced. This is the engine that is supposed to be used for next-gen consoles as well, right?

19. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
  20. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB