27" pls, 29" ips or 120hz 1080p?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Deleted member 216176, Jun 9, 2013.

1. So the asus 27" pls at 2560x1440 is only $899, the aoc and lg 29" 2560x1080p ips super widescreen is about $749, and a decent 27" ips at 1080p and 120hz can be found for about $700 too here in nz....what would you choose and why? See specs to the left, basically ive got 2x7970ghz editions that need more than the current walk in the park at 60hz 1080p.

Thoughts? Suggestions? All is welcome. Cheers mates.

2. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Personally I would choose a 24" 120hz, that refresh rate is essential to me. Costs almost half a 27" 120hz but you barely notice the missing inches, in fact 1080p at 24" looks sharper than at 27".

But I don't know your usage scenario, maybe you would benefit from a high resolution more than a high refresh rate.

3. Thanks for ur input man i appreciate it. So have you tried gaming at higher res than 1080? Ive never used a higher res or used 120hz, plus theres no stores nearby for me to sample. Smoothness is big for me though. My usage is mainly just gaming though so i want to weigh up the gains of higher res (more detail) as versus no added detail, but more smoothness of the 120hz.

Also worth noting is i normally wouldnt have the deep pockets to make a purchase like this, but im going to use my tax return to treat myself :) so the money isnt really an issue. Im using a 23" monitor at the moment, will the extra inch and being 120hz really be a worthy upgrade?

I wish i could see the differences myself its just not possible in my small town. Im a graphics whore, i love great graphics and quite often slack off in games as im too busy in awe of the surroundings haha...hence why im thinking the higher res might be a good option for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  4. Greyleroux

Greyleroux Guest

GPU:
    Gtx660 Sli_U2713
    Hi, You can rule out the 29" the format is too specefic .
    27"@120HZ or 27"@1440P
    27"@1080P= 81.59 PPI

Now you are using a 23" 1080P(95.78 PPI) you'll lose some sharpness if you decide to go 27"@120Hz and trust me you'll notice the big ugly pixels staring back at you .

You have the muscle to back up 1440P gaming so i say go for it .

5. Hey man thanks for your input thats good info there on the ppi. So i guess the race is between 24" 120hz vs 1440p. Anyone had experience with both 120hz and 2560x1440? People seem to say with 1440 you can really notice the extra detail (and performance hit) whereas with 120hz you have the smoothness...how about in games that are more demanding and you cant maintain 120fps? Titles like crysis 3 for example?

6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    In your case I would suggest http://www.iiyama.com/be_nl/producten/prolite-g2773hs-1/

No 3D support, but if it's just for competitive gaming or what not at 120 Hz, it's alot cheaper then the other 120Hz 27 inch monitors. I don't care about 3D either, but I do care about 120 Hz so I bought that one.

Response time is good (real world not the one on the specs sheet), among the best 27 inch 120 Hz monitors, together with the ASUS one.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Avoid super wide screen and avoid any anti glare coating, some like Dell's 3H coating are absolutely insane.

8. Thats a nice looking monitor there :) 3d means nothing to me personally as i have an artificial eye so cant see 3d anyway lol. The type of games i mostly play are single player fps and racing games.

on the point of 120hz, will amds latency issues prove an issue with 120hz? The other concern with 120hz is when fps drops below 120, how does the monitor react? Is there a triple buffer option for 120hz? Does it tear like on 60z monitors?

9. Hey Neo, whats up with the antiglare coating? Haven't heard about this one.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    120Hz is wonderful, but if you can afford a proper 27" PLS with 2560x1440 resolution, that's what I recommend. 120Hz is something you can miss if you aren't used to it, and those PLS panels are absolutely wonderful when it comes to image quality.

11. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Or get a catleap or overlord display and have IPS 1440@120hz. Why settle when you can have both...

-scheherazade

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The price on those models has skyrocketed, it's not like it used to be where they were just as cheap as any other Korean knock off monitor. Not to mention, the 120Hz comes from overclocking (which means it's not guaranteed you'll get that high), and it's hard on the panel. And, it doesn't get around the high-ish response time of the panel. So it won't be as good as a monitor designed for 120Hz.

13. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    The folks with issues are few compared to the total user base.
    Mine has been good at 120hz for about a year now, running 24/7.

The pixel response time is around 6ms iirc. Not 2ms like my vg276h, but good enough to be a gaming display.
    At the end of the day, it's just a more pleasing display to use. The extra clarity, the nicer colour, the same high speed, and *practically* indistinguishable in motion blur.

The price is worth it. If they charged 50% more, I'd still think it's a good deal.
    I'm not going back to 60hz, or 1080p. I'm happy that I even have the choice of any display at all, regardless of price.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  14. Hmmm ive got to say i am intrigued with those catleaps...although the inputs are important to me, as i use my monitor for both my pc use and xbox 360 (strictly for forza) i at least need dvi/dp and hdmi at minimum. Also, ive heard very good things about the catleaps ips panel, how do they compare to the pls panel from asus? Coz thats got some really good reviews with regard to both input selection and panel quality.

If there is a model with a good panel (i would opt for a pixel perfect) and being overclockable with the inputs i need, then sure i will consider it over the asus, but as of right now and my little understanding of the korean panels, the asus is so far my best all round suitable option.

15. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    The catleap IPS panel is the same panel as used in Apple displays. Generally a good quality panel.

Catleaps only have DVI-D, and no OSD.
    Connectivity is not a strength of this display.
    Adjustability is only with side buttons, no advanced stuff.

In part this is what makes it a good display. The internals run simpler software and the hardware has more cycles free for higher refresh rates and lower input lag.

You overclock it via driver options. You are literally overclocking the DVI signal generator on the GPU. The display only needs to be fast enough to 'keep up'.

Without such driver control on the xbox, it will simply run at 60hz.

You could use a DVI/HDMI converter to connect to it via HDMI @ 60hz.

(HDMI *IS DVI [single-link] with a different shaped connector)
    (*Not all colour formats are shared between the connector's standards, but all that you will ever need are)

DP is not available at all on the overclockable variants.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  16. Thanks man, its food for thought at the very least. I appreciate your input man and ill consider it as a possible purchase :) question tho, have you noticed much difference between 60hz and 120hz?

17. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Fast games (FPS, twitch anything) : Night and day.
    All else (RTS, whatever) : Not really. You can tell it's smoother, but it has no meaning.

-scheherazade

18. What video cards are you running to pull 120fps+ at 2560?

19. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Titan

-scheherazade