Apple is in advanced talks to acquire Beats Electronics LLC for $3.2 billion

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Tat3, May 9, 2014.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's social constructing at it's finest. You create a trend and then the product self sells, essentially. People tend to be very... collective in nature so to say. Or sheep in less polite terms.

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Amusing, certainly. Although I will say, the iPhones have surprising headphone output quality, especially with the earpods that come with it. If only they were actually comfortable.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I can't decide if this thread is worth and iLaugh or an iChuckle

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Hey! I'm not saying screw the man, or that business is inherently bad. But marketing does work in that way when you touch upon higher value products. It's a simple fact. I'm fine with that, people tend to want to fit in. Making money from that premise is just good practice.

...It doesn't make it any less deplorable.

Last edited: May 10, 2014

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    ^this. I posted this in a more eloquent way on a smartphone news site and was met with many people telling me I was snobby for wondering why people are so conformist and spend $150+ when you could get high end stuff for that much.

Yes, I guess I'm snobby for being smart.

I'm glad I'm a part of this community :nerd:

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Right...I agree with you. I wasn't addressing your comments just the thread in general.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    "Beats by Dre"......someone really should have just beaten him until he learned what good sound really is. I've only listened to a couple pairs but it felt like my ears were bleeding afterwards... =\

I don't even own any "high-end" headphones.... Just the Superlux HD681....

8. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    If the next iPod had an integrated quality amp/DAC, I'd be slightly interested.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Apple makes their money from selling overpriced crap to stupid people who don't know any better. "IF" they were ever to do something like this it would be far to expensive to justify anyone buying it.

10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I'd put money on our superlux's sounding more true to life

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well.... people think Beats are good just like they think Apple is revolutionary and has done everything first. I will admit, they did basically turn the smartphone into what it is today (My old Motorola Q9.... *cringe*). But after that.... their evolution started moving at a snails pace, while everything else took off like Lightning™.... OH DEAR GOD Apple please don't sue me for using your selfish proprietary BS as just as bad of a pun.

Well... seeing as Beats headphones were originally made BY Monster, that's completely understandable. lol

The main reason they suck is mostly because they focus more on the low notes/bass, having a negative impact on the mids/highs. The decent pair of Sennheiser EARBUDS i used to have sounded better than any Beats... be they earbuds or true headphones.

12. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Just another idiot with cash to burn buying some stupid red headphones!

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Not a problem mate, just checking. Bit of a sore spot for me. I'm sure you understand?

14. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Which is why my iPhone 4 had the best screen in the market...

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Actually the iPhone does a lot right, more than just the screen. The camera is still the best on any phone. The fingerprint reader is actually usable, as opposed to S5's implementation. The sound output on the headphone jack is still extremely good compared to most android phones. And the touch latency was one of the lowest till it was finally bested by the HTC M8. I also personally find the software to be more fluid (compared to my Nexus 5).

That being said, it's still overpriced for the hardware inside. It has a 1570mAh battery. It has a dual core chip and it only has one gig of ram. The screen is only 4" with a standard resolution. It doesn't have any more sophisticated sensors than any of the top android devices. The camera's are pretty standard hardware wise aside from the dual flash thingy which can't cost that much. Yet despite all this it costs nearly the same as a Galaxy S5. So they obviously are making a pretty penny on each model. I say all the power to them, but I personally will never own an iPhone again.

16. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Guys, you're forgetting... Most of the people who buy them, buy them from places like HMV where the staff are thick and there are big stands to advertise them.

Also, one assumes they listen to Dr Dre's "music", which should say it all.

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Wouldn't say it's "still the best" camera. Yea, it's great... but i'm fairly certain there have been other cameras that are comparable, if not better.

Fingerprint reader may be usable, but i think they should have opted for a different position. Somewhere it's not a bit awkward to reach like it is on the bottom of the phone at the home button. Somewhere like... i dunno... where Motorola put it on the Atrix 4G 3 years ago... on the back, at the top.

Sound output... i can't really comment, because at least for when i had my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, i thought the output kinda sucked. And not even talking about with the crappy Apple earbuds they had then. Using a nice set of sound cancelling earbuds, comparing the iPhone directly to an Archos portable media player i had at the time.... the iPhone sounded incredibly flat.

As for touch latency... i'm not even sure that's a fair comparison between the two. Not only considering the idea of iOS only being on a handful of devices and pretty well optimized as a result, but because there isn't really all that much that can be done with touch input on the iPhone. By that, i mean you have your general touch input, for launching an app or selecting a link, and swiping side to side. You also have your long-press.... which as far as i remember with the iPhone... was only really used for moving/deleting apps on the home screens, or selecting text in apps. I don't recall really ever seeing context menus (aside from "copy" when you select text) from long-pressing anything in iOS.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think maybe the Lumia 1020 has a better one. Other than that pretty much every comparative test I've seen gives the iPhone the advantage, including my own eyes. Android devices have definitely caught up and hopefully once google releases the camera API they've been promising they will exceed the iphone(it's obviously not a hardware issue but a software one).

I guess the placement could probably be better, I was mostly referring to the 360 degree orientation. The S5 has to be swiped from the top down, you can't side swipe it or anything. I think iPhone has a better implementation there.

I mean I don't know what else to tell you other than iPhone has almost always had the best audio output, 5s is no different. (http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5s-review-994p7.php)

Although some android flagships have caught up it would seem. Despite the GS4 having that noise crackle issue when initially launched.

To me it's a pro for the iPhone that they only support a handful of devices and are well optimized. You could argue that the lack of choice is a con but that's not what we're discussing here and honestly the iPhone has far worse issues. Overall the responsiveness of the OS is just better. Scrolling is smoother and more responsive (it actually follows your finger), it responds faster to input commands like typing on the keyboard. The overall smoothness of the OS is just better too, animations are more fluid and there are more of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather have my Nexus 5 than an iPhone but the iPhone still does some things pretty well where I would like to see Android catch up on.

19. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Overpriced and overpriced go together tbh.

I have to turn Beats audio off on my HTC 8X as it's retarded when using my headphones. Too much bass and high's. Full spectrum audio is the way forward and I get just that with my Creative Sounds Blaster EVO's and my HTC 8X (with beats OFF).

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Headphone jacks break over time.

One ear starts cutting in and out, then the next, then it's gone.

What the point in paying more for expensive earphones really.

My only criteria are, has a hands free volume/play pause controller and are inner ear squishy gromits.