Revdrive or basic ssd?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Sean Mac, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460
    My main system is down right now due to one 30gb OCZ vertex ssd of two in a zero raid array crashing and burning.

My system basics: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P mob and an Intel i7 870 (4x 2.93 mhz) processor. 16mb of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 mhz ram. Aside from that I've got about 3 tb of storage between an interior Hitachi Deskstar and two exterior drives, one using an eSata connection and the other using Firewire.

I can get an OCZ 100 GB RevoDrive X2 for about $370 or I can get an OCZ 120 GB Agility 3 SSD for about $182.

I know the test results for the two are vastly different with the Revodrive just plain kicking butt in that regards but am just wondering if its going beyond the point of diminishing returns? Obviously I'd be paying about $200 more for the Revodrive over the OCZ Agility ssd. Either way I go I'll be using the remaining 30gb ssd for a scratch drive for photo editing and also for the system paging file.

If anyone has any actual experience with the Revodrive and can attest to the real world results I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks! :)

2. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Regular SSD. Revo and Velo become nicer when you need a bigger volume mainly.

3. [EXC]NaNthor

[EXC]NaNthor Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 8800GT G
    for now, please stay away from sandforce-based SSD's since they are very unreliable. Don't let the high marketing speeds (500mb/sec), based on 0-fill data fool you.
    Get a Crucial M4 SSD or an Intel 510 SSD.

4. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Agree.

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Without wishing to tempt fate my RevoDrive X2 is flying and has been since day one. Read speeds over 800 Mb/s. Write speeds nearly 700 Mb/s (for certain file sizes)

6. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460
    many thanks

Thanks all for the recommendations. I think I'm going with a Crucial M4 128gb ssd. I can pick one up for just under $200. The OCZ Revodrive X2 sure looks sexy but from everything I've been reading it's basically overkill at a high price, at least for my mob. I opted instead for upgrading my ram from 8gb to 16gb. My ram should come in a few days and I can pick up the Crucial SSD from my local Microcenter.
    Thanks again! :bigsmile: