Review: PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Devil 8GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 18, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review we check out the PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Devil with 8GB graphics memory. The three slot cooled mainstream graphics card series will allow you to play your games in both the Full HD...

Review: PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Devil 8GB

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Triple slot seems a bit bulky but I guess if you're into overclocking it could help to have some better cooling although I suppose water would be the ideal then.

Not really sure how much you can get out of the 500 series though I guess even if voltage and max clocks might not change much this should run a bit cooler and perhaps a bit quieter if the fan doesn't need to work as much with the additional heat pipe size and such?

Probably also interferes a bit for Crossfire depending on motherboard model though at least those bridge connectors are gone with current generation GPU's I suppose.

EDIT: Yeah looking at the overclock results it's around 1450 - 1475 Mhz and a bit extra for VRAM (9 Ghz effective.) so similar to the other 580 third party models then though the fan speed for this GPU is at a pretty low 40-ish percent even with the power limit pushed up and a pretty big boost to voltage. :)
    (Or well, I guess, +96mv seems pretty hefty to me at least but perhaps it's not that severe.)

EDIT: Also impressive how it manages to almost reach up to the performance level of the Fury GPU in a couple of these tests, will be interesting to see how the Vega models will perform since they have similar hardware "numbers" but at a higher clock speed. (And without being capped to "merely" 4 GB HBM.)

Though when the Fury GPU is performing ideally such as for the Vulkan test with DOOM it's still the faster GPU but Vulkan and D3D12 still aren't as widely used for games.
    (Curious what AMD might have been able to achieve with some more focus on DX11 seeing these results but that might not be the only reason behind this.)

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  3. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Beefy looking card. Would look nice in a black/red theme case. Thanks HH.

4. Kaill

Kaill Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    The MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8G @ 4388 is below the MSI GeForce GTX 1060 gaming X plus that is lower @ 4363 on the GPU Shootout

5. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    It amazes me to see how far AMD has come in terms of driver development with their Polaris GPU's. It just shows once again how well AMD ages over time.

6. Spuk0

Spuk0 Guest

GPU:
    P/C Vega 64 Devil
    Was this testing/review done before the release of the 17.5.1 driver availability? I'm interested in how much better their drivers performance can deliver.. the note listed Up to 4.7% performance improvement measured on Radeon RX 580 8GB graphics when compared to Radeon Software Crimson ReLive edition 17.4.4(1) Was that for PREY only?

7. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Can anyone explain to me difference 580vs1070 in bf1 and gta5? In bf1 difference between these cards is just 10fps but in gta it is 60fps which makes 1070 almost twice more powerful.

8. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Good to see competition, very good for us.

However, 3 slot card with high power needs...the 1060 (a tad slower MAYBE) is in the same class performance wise with smaller footprint and power usage.

So a little confused at what seems obvious to me.

P.S. What do you mean I'm an idiot Superman! I will "almost" kick your ass again!

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    This thing is only 250 UK pounds and 200 for the 4gb.

250 pound for 6+tflops of gaming performance is incredibly cheap considering a 980GTX was 5+tflops @ 550 pounds.

10. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yeah, but, there's also the fact the FuryX was £500 when the GTX1070 was £420~ on release to consider too.

12. Aravind Raja

Aravind Raja Guest

GPU:
    RX 580 / 8GB GDDR5
    Could someone please tell me the Voltage controller model name/number. I am trying to find a way to get the Voltage displayed in MSI After Burner.