Frame Rate Capping

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Neo Cyrus, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Is there a reason why it has a maximum cap? The max it allows is 200 fps, I'm looking to set a cap of 300 fps in a game I regularly play. I can't leave it uncapped since at 700+ fps it gets some odd stuttering and I'm unsure why. That and the frame rate swings so wildly (the game seems to be piss poorly coded as far as CPU usage goes) that leaving it uncapped is a bad idea in general.

Since obviously my monitor can't support such a high refresh rate I have to leave it unsync'd, so I was hoping I could set a cap higher than 200 fps to make it very difficult to ever see tearing. Yes, unfortunately even at 200 fps it has enough tearing that it's noticeable.

Is there a way around this 200 fps cap limit?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's just GUI limit to prevent users from entering some bogus values. You may edit the profile in a text editor and enter any limit there. Framerate limit is stored in application profile, in [Frametate] section, in Limit field.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Thanks, I went to the file but I can't overwrite it, no matter what it says it's open in another program. I made sure Afterburner/RTSS are shut off and I searched for anything I could find with Processes Explorer and there's nothing obviously there, yet it still says open in another program.

Edit: It turns out it was just Windows 10 being annoying by not allowing access to anything on the C: not explicitly owned by the admin account open. I had to move it off the C: with admin rights before being allowed to modify it, or take ownership of it I suppose.

Edit 2: Well I can save the file but that doesn't seem to change anything. Sorry am I editing the wrong file? "MSI Afterburner\Profiles\MSIAfterburner.cfg" is the file I modified the "MaxLimit" under "[Source Framerate]".

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I said that it is stored in RTSS profiles, but not into MSI Afterburner profiles which you're trying to edit instead. The value you were editing configures the maximum value for Framerate graph in MSI AB monitoring module.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Doh, thank you very much, problem solved. For some reason I thought the RTSS files were stored in the Afterburner folder. It's all working now.

6. 0458315753

0458315753 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    The limit used to be 120fps, the current soft-cap of 200 could be increased in my opinion.

7. 0458315753

0458315753 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    What is the file and where it is located?

8. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    RivaTuner Statistics Server\Profiles

Choose the game profile you want to limit. Follow instructions above.