Recommend Case

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sava700, Mar 8, 2013.

1. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I've not built a PC in a few years so I'm out of the loop on cases...however I've kept up with other things.

What I'm looking for is a basic case nothing huge, not wanting a bunch of fans or controls. Going to require a 120mm in the rear and front for a basic push/pull airflow method to run air over the board and ram. I water cool with a external fanless tower and won't need space for that.

Space will be an issue as I plan to stick in the new Titan GPU, will be putting in my current power supply that I'm currently using. Like to keep it light weight, alum made and the opening side with a window.

Can anyone give me some suggestions - please post purchase links rather than just names if you don't mind.

Thanks

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Budget?

3. Syidi

Syidi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780
    NZXT Phantom 410... if your budget allow

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    or a corsair 200r/300r for cheap

5. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  6. leeaids

leeaids Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 690
  7. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    yeah budget...should have mentioned that - no more than $100 USD

I paid 50 for my last one and I don't need anything fancy or with a bunch of controls so the price should be fine.

Also just a standard ATX mid sized case

this is what I have now - so don't need much different than this basic case
    http://www.antec.com/images/400/P160W.jpg

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
  9. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Fractal Design Define R4!

10. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I don't like the PSU on the bottom - those things generate heat and heat rises no matter how many fans you have so I don't care for it producing heat then circulating up into the case vs I know most will be pushed out bottom just not something I care for in a design but thanks for suggestion.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you want a case with top mount PSU, you'll be looking at mostly entry-level cases with pathetic airflow. With a bottom mounted PSU, majority of the heat is exhausted out the back of the case with very little left to rise to other components. If your case is vented properly, the PSU being on the bottom actually improves case temperature vs top mounted designs.

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Didn't fully understand what you mean.

If the PSU is mounted at the bottom, with the fan facing downwards, all the heat is produced is expelled at the rear by air drawn in from the bottom. This way, the PSU remains cooler than when it is mounted at the top and sucking hot air, while exhausting all its hot air straight out of the case.

Plus, there's a danger when it's mounted at the top. If it falls, there goes you PC. It's wrecked.

The PSU top mount is almost obsolete now. Very few high-end cases use it. I haven't seen any the last 2-3 years that do.

13. leeaids

leeaids Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 690
    top mount psu are not the best type, im glad most case makers put the psu at the bottom on most now as a psu is not in a gaming pc the hotist component, i found that the heat form all other conponents mostly gpus rose up in to the psu when they was at the top

and a cooler psu is more effecent

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The PSU on bottom (or on top) produces zero heat in the case, its exhaust fan blows out of the case, not into it. The only way the PSU could raise interior temps would be if it got so hot that it radiated heat into the case. That would have to be pretty damn hot. Most good PSUs these days are cool to the touch, even under stress, so no need to worry about it.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hot air raises and I'd rather have any excess hot air going out the case via a big exhaust fan than the psu.

16. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    For ITX system: Bitfenix Prodigy + Window

[​IMG]

17. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    well ok then... guess back for suggestions for a case bottom or top PSU mount then. Please link me a location to do the purchase if you can.

Going to mark the antec that was posted above for now as it is nice just wasn't sure I liked the bottom PSU mount, sorry just used to the top mounting.