GeForce GTX 680 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Is it? Release both within a close time of eachother, attract AMD's midrange customers with a card that performs better than their high end card, and then the enthusiasts buy the high end even more powerful line up?

Personally i think that makes more sense than releasing a mid range as high end. At least then your catering for both brackets with competitive products simultaneously

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No.. the extreme plus ii

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well heh. Let's say cash in more money. The design is 100% same as the Xtreme Plus and Plus 2.

Probably the mounting holes of the 680 are different from 580, so can't mount the Plus and Plus 2 unless you got the mounting plate which isn't sold sepereratly for the 680.

Currently the Xtreme III does NOT fit on the 680 unless a Non-Stacked PCI-E Connector comes out. Which is my guess, seeing the picture Arctic provided aswell as saying it DOES support the 680.

Matter of time.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    oh sorry got the other one in my mind.... does that one fit on a 680gtx ?

5. elvizzz

elvizzz Active Member

GPU:
    DC II T 670 GTX
    don't forget this is al so a new a architecture and first driver for NVIDIA.
    AMD already aged a bit :D.
    the NVIDIA driver 'll get improved soon the green team is good ad that.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Great review as always, Hilbert.

7. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Still in stock at Scan, Aria, Overclockers etc in the UK (infact most places in the UK have them in stock).

8. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    £399 from Aria, not too bad tbh, infact quite good based on 7970 prices.

I am a bit gutted that I spent £381 on a 7970 (pixmania) less than a month ago.

But the fact its not looking likely that an Accelero Xtreme will fit a reference 680 does give me some solice. (Have to have these coolers i love em) Oh that and the fact ive just played Metro 2033 right through for the first time this week and it was a stunning experience to play it maxed DX11 (except SMAA instead of MSAA) smooth as you like at 1260/6200.

But now its back to BF3 MP for me, and yes im a little Green with envy.... Excuse the pun.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Or release all the best GK104 chips at a high end price as the GTX680, the ones that don’t do as well as GTX670, and when you’ve sold lots of those two at a tidy profit, as well as having tweaked GK110 to perfection, release that as the new high end chip.

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    There will most likely come a 680 without a Stacked PCI-E Connector according to Arctic Cooling. Since they claim the Accelero Xtreme III is compatible with a 680 WITHOUT a stacked connector.

11. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Techpower up says 7% More performance overall . It doest look like it here on guru3d.

Intereseting

12. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Why is one of the DVI ports DVI-I while the other is only DVI-D? That seems like a strange decision to me.

Otherwise, it's a kick-ass card. And if I had the money I'd rush out and buy two right now.

13. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    This is their flagship GPU, period. It is designed to be their best GPU performer for the price/performance. If it was midrange they would simply call it 670.

The GK110 is a different GPU, and while it maybe faster, it is supposedly designed for compute, which causes it to be a lot larger, more power hungry, and being expensive. It will be marginally faster, but not likely for the cost. Probably will make good money as a GPGPU though.

At least from everything I've seen that look's like Nvidia's gameplan.

14. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync

Why would they release one without a stack pci-e connector ?

If anyone does it will be a non ref custom PCB version... Which the Accelero probably wouldnt fit anyway.

Best bet is hope Arctic just release one for the reference 680, it cant be that hard for them..... Just cut out a section of the fins for the power connectors. Job done.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    TPU got roughly the same results as Guru3D, so I don’t know what you’re suggesting.

16. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Great card... but 500$ ? Way too much. There's like 3 games that require this much power, and they're all shooters ( for which i don't care. ( i mean shooters in general ) ). And its still struggling to get 60fps in those. So .. nah.
    Same can be said for ATI's offerings aswell.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Yep $500 Buck mid range card because its faster than a 7970. Oh well I would of picked up a couple 680 after reading the review if they were mid range priced. Plus you got some fps improvements with mature drivers.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  18. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Nothing . Its just interesting. Its more like 15% on Guru, Hilbert also has better power usage on GTX680.

Card looks real good , i hope it drives AMD prices down , as they are horribly overpriced right now.

When we can expect mid range cards ? Something to compete with HD7870 ?

19. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    It probably started out as the 670 but Nvidia increased the clock speed and put it out as the 680. Nvidia don't release their high-end parts with a 256-bit bus. They've had a look at at the competition and realised they could get away with selling the 680 at a premium. People wanting the fastest will buy the 680 now but will have to upgrade again before the year is out. I like having the fastest but am not upgrading twice in 8 months. :no:

20. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Nice one!

Can't wait till it appears whre I live (anywhere from sever weeks to month or even 2).

I'll grab one for sure! Or even 2... but considering performance and my 1920x1200 resolution I might get away with one for a time... and throw in a second one some time later.