Problems loading CCC version 8.8 and 8.9

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by freakgib, Sep 20, 2008.

1. freakgib

freakgib New Member

GPU:
    Ati 4850
    last month i did install Catalyst 8.8 and i did get thise popup message

CCCInstall has encounterd a problem and needs to close we are sorry for the inconvenience

and after that i get this

Could not load file or assembly 'CLI.Implementation, Version=2.0.3154.36823, Culture=Neutral, Publickeytoken=90ba9c70f846762e' or one of its dependencies the system cannot find the file specified
    so i went back to version 8.7 but only after cleaning my regestry and deleating everything with driver sweeper

then now i did install Catalyst 8.9 but the same message
    does anyone had the same problem and did find a solution

Greets in advange

Gert

2. Chodi

Chodi Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670oc
    This sounds a lot like a virus. Sweep your computer and see what you get.

3. bolan

bolan Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 7950 @ 950

Sounds more like a .net problem to me. Go see in 'Official Cat 8.9' thread and rage3d.com forums.

4. Linuxluver

Linuxluver New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD2400
    I did exactly the same as you nad have exactly the same problem. The system is a brand new DELL Vostro 200. After allowing Windows Vista to apply updates to the pre-load, the video broke when in a two-screen mode (DELL screen and a 19" Philips). Video would flash 5-6 times then the system would crash hard. Pull the power cord out to re-boot.

I upgraded to the latest ATI drivers. Still crashing every hour. Removed the second screen (physically).....and it stopped crashing, but the ATI CCC fails to start on boot...and the Windows VISTA video controls have been removed or broken, so I can't alter my current video settings in any way. It still thinks I have two screens and i can't access any video controls to tell it I don't.

DELL and ATI = BAD VISTA.

5. alanthus

alanthus New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950 512MB
    Ran into this last night and found to my amazement that this problem has persisted from version 5.x back in '05 to 8.9, possibly because there are several possible causes :(
    I don't claim to be an expert on ATI drivers and on top of that I'm not at the machine with the issue atm but I'll try to sum up the things that can help resolve this issue:

In order for Catalyst Control Center (CCC) to be installed properly the following must occur

- You must get a working installation file (or files)
    - .NET Framework 2 (or 3 for Vista 64) needs to be properly installed and enabled
    - The installation must be able to uninstall/replace any previous files/registry entries during installation
    - You must have administrator rights on the machine

The key is when does the problem start, if you get an installation error then there is something that wasn't possible to install for some reason, the error should be in the Event Viewer (Start -> Run -> eventvwr <ENTER>) tagged as an Msinstall event.

Looking at the event you should be able to tell which package isn't working and go from there, the installation packages will be under c:\ATI\SUPPORT...\PACKAGES\CCM\ and under each subsection/folder there is an installation file (.msi), most of them will run separately so you don't have to run the full install to verify that you removed the obstacle to installation.
    In my case the problem was atishlx.exe with an error code of 2753, I haven't found any good documentation for this but it would seem 2753 essentially means the old file couldn't be removed/replaced for some reason. Once I removed (manually, ati uninstall couldn't do it and driver cleaner didn't touch it) the old atishlx.exe under c:\program file(x86)\ati... I could run the core-static installation and everything worked. (getting to that point was a royal pain though...)

Other sources for this problem:

- Corrupt .NET Framework, you need version 2 on XP and version 3 on Vista 64 (it comes as standard on Vista 64 but may have to be enabled through Control Panel -> Programs and features -> Turn Windows components on or off)
    Installing, reinstalling or repairing .NET will fix these issues (end yes it works with 3.5 on Vista 64 too)

- Registry corruption from old/faulty installation
    Windows Installer Cleanup Utility - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 (or you could do what I did and manually hack the registry, either way be careful, registry tools are not for the faint of heart as they can mess up your machine completely)

Hope this helps someone, and sorry that it's a little vague in places, I'm not sitting at the machine that had the issue.

6. freakgib

freakgib New Member

GPU:
    Ati 4850
    indeed it was a .net problem
    when i did run windows update i notice that my .net was not compleetly up to date thx for the tip everything is working fine now

Greets

Gert