MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Playing Mafia 3 with the latest beta here and it seems that the game crashes the driver from time to time when there's AB/RTSS running in the background. The crash is a bad one too as video hangs, screen goes black and the only way out is the reset button. Sometimes it doesn't crash but the video freeze for several seconds and then continue. Kinda hard to reproduce though, not even sure that it's ABs fault. But - had about a dozen of these crashes with AB running and none without it so far.

Edit: Should add that Mafia 3 is running in Windows 7 compatibility mode on Win10 (because otherwise M3ScriptHook doesn't work). Maybe that's related.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Cannot help with that, I don't own Mafia and don't plan to purchase furthermore to test it with thirdparty hooks/mods.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Mafia 3 never caused a driver crash here but I had to give up on the game for the time being since it did indeed crash periodically but it never brought down the display driver.

But the game is pretty sensitive to overclocking as well, Watch_Dogs 2 also had that same issue come to think of it in addition to also occasionally crashing if you used ReShade with the game although far as Mafia 3 goes I have not tested the script hook for that since it was never updated for the latest updates so it's probably not 100% functional.
    (IE I'd try without that loaded first to see how it goes.)

4. Unwinder

MSI Afterburner 4.4.0 beta 4 is uploaded:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/MSIAfterburnerSetup440Beta4.rar

OSD layout customization possibilities have been improved. Some of gedo's suggestions are available in this build. Now it is possible to independently define each item size, color and alignment at layout level. To demonstrate that framerate/frametime items are now displayed in modern layout in custom color and performance limit reasons items are displayed in custom size. Alert color can be also independently defined for each item inside the layout if necessary. GPU/system/application groups (defining group colors) are no longer harcoded and can be also customized at layout lever. Subscript indices for GPU/CPU group names are also no longer hardcoded and can be customized via layout.
    Also, now the layout can specify custom format for benchmark/videorecording status line. It is set to 70% size and custom white color to demonstrate that.

This build also includes RTSS 7.0.0 beta 9 with the following changes:

- Min/Mag filters for texture samplers in Vulkan renderer have been changed from nearest to linear. This improves quality of rendered subscripts/superscripts in Vulkan OSD.
    - Benchmark statistics is no longer being updated on each frame. Now it is refreshed twice per second similar to framerate and frametime.

5. Unwinder

Anyone see any use in custom color/size of benchmark/videorecording statistics like it is done in the latest beta?
    I'm thinking about possibly removing it from the final build, because the way it is implemented now causes all subsequent plain text in OSD to be rendered in this custom format, which means that unformatted text from HwInfo for example will also be smaller size and white. Preventing that requires implementing some delayed text formatting approach, and I'm not sure if it worths the efforts.

6. Unwinder

Found rather easy way to bypass previously mentioned limitations of custom formatting for the statistics. Now upper 6 of total 256 format variables are reserved for system needs and used to pass custom color/size for statistics from the layout. MSI AB 4.0.0 is updated to beta 5, statistics format customization in layout is now defined using new way:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/MSIAfterburnerSetup440Beta5.rar

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Got the same crash without M3ScriptHook/Win7 compatibility so it's either Mafia 3 itself or some conflict with RTSS. So far I haven't been able to get the crash without RTSS running but it's elusive, you could play for several hours before it happens sometimes.

Btw, Alexey, you should probably add LogiOptions.exe to RTSS exclusions list. It's a UI part of Logitech wireless keyboard driver, and when it's not excluded in RTSS profiles sometimes RTSS capture "something" from it (looks like a small icon) as a screenshot instead of the actual screenshot of the game running. Adding it to profiles with "none" solves the issue.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  8. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Unwinder are you seeing CPU clock speed "stick" at times, where CPU-Z, Task Manager, etc all show idle clocks but Afterburner shows "stuck" clock speed of max turbo?

Sometimes it matches other programs and stays at idle, but most of the time once it gets stuck it stays that way.

9. Unwinder

Ok, added it to exclusions list.

10. Unwinder

Nope. And I'd like to remind everyone one more time that everything related to CPU monitoring was and is an unofficial and bonus functionality, added without any MSI support. So it is provided with no support obligations and no requests like "add support for CPU XXX or mobo YYY" will be accepted.

11. Unwinder

Just noticed two independent anomalies in OSD rendering quality in AvP D3D11 Benchmark: overbrightening causing too rough text outlines and pixelated font for shrinked text displaying subscripts/superscripts.

[​IMG]

OSD text overbrightening is a result of using gamma-corrected SRGB frame buffer by this application. It needs to be taken into account when creating font texture, it should also be in gamma-corrected SRGB format to avoid that.
    Pixelated subscripts/superscripts is a result of using nearest point filtering on texture sampler by this application.
    Both issues will be addressed in RTSS 7.0.0 beta 11 a few hours later.

12. Unwinder

RTSS 7.0.0 beta 11 is available:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup700Beta11.rar

Both OSD rendering glitches in AvP D3D11 benchmark documented in the previous post should be fixed now. Also I've added an option for filling the area under OSD with solid or semi-transparent color. It is not attached to GUI but you can enable it by manually editing FillColor field in [OSD] section in .\ProfileTemplates\Global file. Value is specified in ARGB format, so for example A0000000 is semi-transparent black color fill with A0/FF=62,75% opacity and FF0000FF is 100% opaque blue color fill. Solid color fill is supported for all OSD rendering modes, transparency is not supported for vector 2D modes and (currently) for Vulkan OSD.

13. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Installed 440b5 & 700b11.

I've never changed this setting before and might be mistaking its' description. AB settings>monitoring, select item monitored in the graph. (my case GPUtemperature). Changed layered graph color to red had no affect.

Changed CPU1temperature to yellow had no affect.

Edit: rebooted and it's fine. When I drop or pin MSI AB shortcut onto the task bar, no icon appears. It's a blank white piece of paper.

Still testing.

14. Unwinder

Layered graph color setting is being used only when you organize graph layers and display multiple overlapping graphs on the same grid. In this case you absolutely need to define custom color for each graph to identify them, that's why this option exists.
    To create a group of layered graphs right click a graph, select "Attach" from the context menu then click some other graph to attach it to.

15. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Ok, I haven't grouped graph layers in quite some time. I see how it works now. Thx

16. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Transparent color fill under OSD is great addition, thank your for that.

17. Unwinder

Next RTSS beta will also add alpha-channel (i.e. transparency) support for colors, specified in the layout. So it will be possible to make any part of text transparent as well. Not sure if it is really useful, but it is also a good extension for layout customization possibilities.

18. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    I dont know if it will be relevant but in RPCS3 OSD works for DX12 and OGL but dont for Vulkan API.

19. abdulhkeem

abdulhkeem Member

GPU:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB
    Me too + uwp apps like dungeon hunter 5 and candy crush not showing osd neither!

20. ParKur

ParKur Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    7.0.0 Beta 10/11 does not work in Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands.