Nvidia responds to AMD's ''free sync'' demo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Spets, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    "I would AMD let to do their part with VESA as always. And all of us will benefit in the end. AMD users with nice feature to have and nVidia users with add-in cards cheaper than now as nVidia will be forced to lower price."

In the end its good to have cheap/free tech for everybody but I will support companies who actually do innovations to get some more. If we always supported copycats there would not be the innovations to share. I don't want companies to make money with the same stuff for forever, but for some time is just healthy and motivating.

2. toivonen

toivonen Member

lol...and that is why latelly i passed to the "green" side!...sure, theire very far from beeing saints, but when we look to the last 5 years, they really had a much better attitude, both in the tecnology as in posture....AMD, despair takes no where, you should know that....

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I like Nvidia´s GPUs but their stupid attitudes are really hard to ignore. Saying that they won´t share G-sync with AMD no matter what and that AMD should develop their own solution like that it´s really being an huge ass!!!

This way G-syng is gonna flop like Physix and the biggest loser is going to be Nvidia because someone will release a non proprietary solution that is gonna work for everyone...

Some guys just don´t learn...

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's not a "port" limitation at all. NVidia has intentionally built in limitations to prevent G-Sync from working on non-NVidia hardware. It really wouldn't be that difficult for say, Samung, to design a controller with a built in display buffer and logic to do exactly what nVidia's G-Sync module does, without being bound to a single GPU vendor.

AMD applied for a patent on this back in 2006. It would appear, based on the patent filing, that nVidia is actually the copycat.

5. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Its funny because, on the Asus who support G-sync... g-sync take place in the scaler ( in reality it replace it ).

Anandtech G-sync review. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

Then:
    Definitevely some explanations are wrong somewhere.

In reality the first patent have been applied by ATI technologies in 2002, in 2006, AMD have transfer the licences under his name. ( as they have buy ATI at this time )

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  6. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    It is just a personal meaning with a red tint. Don't do this to your zelf.
    AMD does the same things bro, open your eyes or get transparent glasses

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    All companies do this. Imagine if Intel spent all the time and money researching new technologies for CPU's and just gave them away to everyone else to use for free.
    Nvidia keeping this for themselves may be bad for consumers but to give it away is a stupid business practice. And the main purpose behind a business is to make a profit.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    But they don´t need to give it away! They can licence it or ask for 50% of the development costs!!! This way everyone wins! If they keep just for themselfes they are almost guaranteed to lose money on it because someone else will develop something similar without hardware maker restrictions. Not to mention people who buy AMD aren´t going to buy GPU´s from Nvidia because of G-sync, but okay this is just my opinion.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You'll be surprised. I don't think most people know much about G-Sync but two of my friends choose 780's due to Shadowplay which like completely blew my mind. I mean I find the feature nice but I didn't expect something so minor to draw people to switch.

10. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Proprietary G-Sync is really disappointing, but obviously expected.
    However, I can't help but feel somewhat upset, because it's like inventing "fire" as a cave man and not helping the entire human race by saying "here, I realize you're out in the cold, take this and live a better life."

Screen tearing is a horrible issue which requires V-Sync in all non-CRT monitors... And variable-FPS is a brilliant idea that would benefit basically every gamer on the planet.

It's no wonder why NVIDA is keeping it as a proprietary tech, it's just that powerful :\

11. oOEvil1Oo

oOEvil1Oo Guest

GPU:
    2x 770 MSI Lightning
    I am glad there is all the advancements we have in technology, for us to play games on! Too bad the damn game developers can't figure out how to release working titles for us to use the modern marvels!!

12. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    I always find it kind of funny when people make the argument/complaint that Nvidia does not make this open source/free.

They spent time and money developing this, what reason would they have to give this away?
    It does not make any sense what so ever.

I don't think AMD is giving everyone the whole picture on "free sync" either. It seems to be an attention grabber and thats it for right now. Hopefully we will see their versioiin/implementation of the tech soon, as that would drive prices down.

Also as another poster mentioned, I am sure Samsung etc... could implement a similar technology that would not be hardware locked--maybe monitor locked.

I think the eventual conclusion to this will be a free implementation/universal standard.

13. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Until the monitor industry implements display port 1.3 , it's a moot point, Nvidia is selling hardware and that costs money to develop and market.

14. mcarr6

mcarr6 Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 Fury X
    You're right on the money.

They are selling hardware because they market. They're telling you, don't buy their peach for .50, when you can buy two from us for .99. You as the consumer say that's practically the same price for the same product, and then they say, yeah, but our peaches are fuzzier and you save .1.

You can develop til the cows come home, but if you can't market, you're not selling. And we all know what marketing is synonymous to.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not putting in the work to make your competitor work with your technology and intentionally locking your competitor out are two different things. Not only that, but to make it work, nvidia would need to know the workarounds for AMD's hardware/software, and i can guarantee you that AMD won't give that up

16. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    I agree that Nvidia shouldn't have to share their tech, but if they did Nvidia wouldn't need to do anything. The GSync module really isn't that complex according to every review article out there. AMD would just need to know how to interface with it in their drivers. They could figure that out on their own with some reverse engineering--they simply need to be allowed. Again, not that they should be allowed.

But ultimately the entire issue comes down to proprietary vs. open standard. Traditionally, proprietary formats eventually fail. IBM had a 98%+ market share of PCs when they decided to get greedy and make a proprietary mouse and keyboard socket type called PS/2. The competition banded together to create an open industry standard. IBM clung to its proprietary formats as its market share dwindled. Now IBM is a shadow of its former self.

There's a strong possibility of Gsync having a short life span because of this. Remember that it's not just a fight between Nvidia and AMD. The grand majority of PC users are on integrated graphics so Intel has a stake in this, too. Intel and AMD already have a working relationship processor-side, I wouldn't put it past them to develop an open sourced competing technology and possibly even make it a VESA standard.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  17. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    The tech is already standard for eDP and standard for the next iteration of DP, its just when we will see they rollout the next DP standard.

Nvidia is sneaky as well since they are member of the said standard group but they rollout the to be rollout technology and make it looks like they invented it.

18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Meh, I believe him. Makes sense, AMD themselves said something like they have been asked for awhile to make tech like this for laptops to solve some power issues being the main focus of freesync. Maybe dp 1.3 will add that tech to desktop and maybe it wont, that's on AMD. Point is NVidia has their own tech coming out.

And I don't subscribe to the whining about how it's just another NVidia exclusive thing. I understand the criticisms against physx mostly because it makes adoption of physx frustrating because it obviously needs support from the maker of whatever game. But Gsync is not dependent on that, it should work with everything.

19. MaskedMuchaco

MaskedMuchaco Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    No need to wait for DisplayPort 1.3. all you need is a monitor that supports Direct drive

Direct Drive has been a VESA standard since 2009 and eliminates the need for scaler hardware in the monitor and lets the GPU control the panel directly. Dell were selling a direct drive monitor a few years ago (Dell E1909WDD) but I have no idea if any regular monitors support it. I expect it's used widely in laptops and is possibly why AMD chose laptops for their demonstration.

Nvidia Obviously know about this so G-Sync must be doing something more than just allowing direct control of the panel for the price they charge for it. Possibly allowing better 2 way communication and extra buffering or something I understand equally as little about as directly controlling LCD panels.

I could be way off the mark but it seems to make sense.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    This sounds like something that could work on Koreans. No scaler, no osd, direct gpu to panel. We'll see.