Problem trying to install 3 x 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw RAM on X58 motherboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darren Hodgson, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks Veteran, I take a look...

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    SiSoftware Sandra 2012 Lite lists my memory's optimal settings as 9-9-9-24 5-33-12-6 2T 1.5V. Obviously I know what the first four are, the 2T and 1.5 V and I'm guessing that 33 is likely tRC as mentioned earlier but what are the other three? Anyone know please?

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20

5. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    sry didnt read much of this but, u have em on A1, B1, C1 ?

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think so if that's what the orange slots are (the same ones my previous 3 x 2 GB 1,333 MHz memory modules were fitted to). The two working 4 GB modules I have fitted at the moment until I get the replacements from Amazon have been fine so far albeit they are running in dual-channel mode.

Incidentally, is it better for me to fit all three memory modules from the new kit or keep the two working ones I have now and just take one from the new kit? Obviously, the latter would mean that I'd have three chances to find a working memory module whereas the former means that if one of those is bad too then I'm stuck with two duff tri-channel memory kits. I'm guessing that I should probably try and test the three from the new kits first then if they don't work start mixing-and-matching as a last resort? Or doesn't it really matter?

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Another question (sorry!) - can I drop my Multiplier to 18x (from 20x) and raise the BCLK to 200 MHz in order to have the same CPU overclock of 3.6 GHz (18 x 200 = 3,600) and also run my memory at its rated speed of 1,600 MHz? Would that work on the same voltage settings I'm using now (which has been 100% stable with a BCLK of 180 MHz)?

What advantages/disadvantages are there to running lower multipliers/higher BCLKs versus higher multipliers/lower BCLKs?

8. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    usually stability issues...:)
    But from speed point of view the higher the BCLK is the "faster" your computer will be for a given CORE speed.
    You may have to increase the QPI and NB voltage.
    But I would suggest waiting for the replacement before finding out the best RAM config. As I said the controller will not be loaded the same way in dual and triple channel configuration. All the time you are spending on finding the best config could be lost when you will place the missing stick.
    With your current configuration you can even lower the Uncore frequency to be x1.33 your ram speed (instead of x2) because dual channel represents only 128bit data width.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Use and odd number when it comes to the multiplyer,works better for stability.

My bios settings so u get an idea.
    OC from CPU level up - n/a
    OC from Memory level up - n/a
    CPU Ratio setting - n/a
    CPU configuration n/a
    CPU Ratio Setting - 21
    C1E Support - disable
    Hardware prefetcher - enable
    Adjacent Cache line prefetcher - enable
    Intel Virtualization tech - disable
    CPU TM Function - disable
    Execute Disabled bit - disable
    Intel HT Technology - enable
    Active Processor Cores - all
    A20M - disabled
    Intel Speedstep tech - disable
    Intel Turbo Mode tech - disable
    Intel C-STATE tech - disabled
    Turbo power limit - disabled

BCLK frequency - 215
    PCIE frequency - 100
    DRAM frequency - 1675
    UCLK frequency - 3288
    QPI frequency - 1.41
    1st information - 9-9-9-24 - 2T(will stability test soon at 1t)
    2nd information - auto
    3rd information - auto

EPU II phase control - full phase
    Load-line calibration - enable
    CPU differential amplitude - 800mv
    Extreme OV - disabled

Cpu voltage - 1.42
    CPU PLL voltage - 1.88
    QPI-Dram voltage - 1.42

Current voltage
    IOH voltage - 1.19
    IOH PCIE voltage - auto
    ICH voltage- 1.15
    ICH PCIE voltage - auto

Current voltage
    DRAM Bus voltage - 1.65
    DRAM REF voltage - auto

Debug mode - string
    Keyboard TeakIt comtrol -disabled

CPU spread spectrum - disabled
    PCIE spectrum - disabled
    CPU clock skew - 300
    IOH clock skew - 300

10. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    can u post exact type of memory?

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Sure, G.Skill Ripjaws - F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL - DDR3-1600 - PC3-12800 3 x 4 GB - XMP 9-9-9-24 1.5V.

12. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    try 11-11-11-28 @1333 with 1.5v maybe with 1.59v

if that dosnt work, u can try g-skill or asus forums for working settings or return em to place u bought em, they are quarantined to run triple channel on ur mobo

maybe try older/newer bios

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Look in AIDA64 under SPD.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks again, Pill Monster.

My new RAM arrived in the post from Amazon (at 2:30pm... thanks, Royal Mail!!!) and I replaced the two 4 GB sticks with the three new ones. My PC then showed 12 GB as expected in both the BIOS and Windows without me having to change any settings, albeit it is currently running at 1,440 MHz on 9-9-9-24 2T @ 1.5 V timings. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool twice on Advanced settings with the Cache set to On and no errors were reported.

I'm now going to try setting the BCLK to 200 MHz and lowering the Multiplier to 18x so I can run the memory at its rated 1,600 MHz speed. I'll then run two passes of the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool again and then try a few benchmarks and games to see if those settings are stable.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I changed the settings so my CPU is at 3.6 GHz and my RAM at 1.6 GHz then ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics' Extended tests: no errors reported. Upon booting into Windows I ran 3DMark11's Extreme test (scored 3,718), Heaven 3.0 for 20 minutes and finally Prime95's default test for 30 minutes. The latter recorded temperatures of 69-73 C max across my four cores and the tests were all 100% stable. So far, so good... :D

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's good to hear. You should try changing to 1T....should remain stable.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    What difference does changing the Command Rate from 2T to 1T actually make? I've never noticed any performance gains from switching between them with my last set of 6 GB 1,333 MHz RAM.

18. HolyLiaison

HolyLiaison Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 570 GTX SLI

I have that same RAM and had a hard time getting it to work at 1600Mhz too. But I went to Gskills forum and there are numerous posts helping with the proper settings. That's where I got mine to work.

If you need the preferred settings from Gskill let me know and I'll grab them from my BIOS tomorrow.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Slightly reduced latency and increased bandwidth, nothing spectacular though. You wouldn't really notice the difference except in benchmark tests...

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks, HolyLiaison, but my 12 GB RAM appears to be working fine @ 1,600 MHz on 9-9-9-24 2T timings @ 1.5 V with the BCLK set to 200 MHz, the Multiplier at 18x and the CPU running at 3.6 GHz. I didn't even have to change any of the voltage settings as the QPI/DRAM is still 1.3 V and the VCore is 1.28750 V. I suspect my PC might well be able to handle 3.8 GHz using a Multiplier of 19x but that's something I'll leave for now as I want to test stability at my current settings over the next month.

Out of interest though, I'd like to see what timings G.Skill told you to use...