20-35% Performance Increase, XP + 550ti Users

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by The General, Mar 25, 2013.

1. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Noisiv are you using XP?
    If you're not, what drivers are you using and what settings do you have it at?

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Ooh... that little part.

Windows 8 :p running with Latest WHQL - 314.22.

Settings - mostly default.
    I put Single Display(GLOBAL) and Max Power(per game profile)... just in case.

Sometimes overriding Aliasing, fps-capping, forcing VSYNC, AO and AF, lod bias,
    but VERY rarely, and only if I am sure that what I'm doing is beneficial.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  3. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Guys stop busting on the General. He is 100% right about using older sets for older hardware.

Some of these newer sets, while they have optimizations for Geforce GTX 6 series and TITAN, will not have the same impact with Geforce GTX 5 series and under.

While it may have BUG fixes, performance gains will not be as likely to be seen on a 550Ti.

with older sets tuned more towards his card at it's release and shortly after, I can see it having an impact on his performance. The fact that he is running XP also can justify his card performing better. He is stuck on DX9, and XP handles DX9 very well still.

I really don't think he has a reason to lie about this, calling him a troll is kinda dumb.

4. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    um does anyone know of a program that will show OSD display when recording ?
    I tried evga tool, afterburner tool, nvidia tray tools , when recording it , and after viewing the video it doesn't display it.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Action! probably

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Fraps if all you want is FPS showing.

7. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Nah i want to be able to show the frame rate and gpu and data information from my recorded videos, but it shows up when recording, but after recording and when i go to watch the video it doesn't show it. I tried every program out there, afterburner, evga, rivatuner, nvidia tray tools, nothing works. I had this problem when i had a GTS 250, but never had this issue using the 9800gt. Now that i have a 550 ti, no prorgram seems to work. So i can't show people how the performance is, even tho i am not lying about anything.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yeah, great throw away line. Essentially meaningless in the tech world where generally, regarding GPU's and CPU's, the latest IS the greatest. Surely YOU understand that.

9. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Maybe for people who can afford every gen of card that comes out. But for those on older hardware that just want a card that works it's not the case.

For you and me, as well as others new drivers are always welcome. Bring them on I say.

But for those on older cards...it's not always a good thing. He found a balance of drivers and hardware that work for him all around, nothing wrong with that.

10. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    Necro XP+DX9 = LOL

11. bjoswald

bjoswald Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD 630
    I have an older DX9 card but I still prefer the latest-'n'-greatest. To each their own.

But 3 different browsers? Netscape in 2013? Surely you jest...

12. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I don't understand what you're saying?
    Are you talking about NecroVisioN, if so, not sure what's so funny.

I'm not using a dx9 card, and DX11 is hype just so you know.

Been using netscape for those other duties like i mention for years, never had any problems whatsoever.

13. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    interesting, im wondering if they enabled optimizations by default or something.

Is the image quality the same?

14. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Well just a update. I am using 301.42, which is the last driver i have tested after testing the 267.59, up to all of the 270's drivers to the 314 drivers. I never did test the 280 or 290, don't have any plans too either. But the 301.42 drivers perform just like the 260/270 ones, but they're faster and more stable. Need for speed 2010 with the 260 / 270 runs between 50-60 at 1920x1080 max. But with the 301.42 it runs between 55-60, 97% of the time at 60. So they're a tad bit faster and this is with FXAA enable , because the 260/270 doesn't have FXAA built in.

Now with the 314 drivers and anything slightly below it, Need for speed at the same settings moves at 19-30. That's really terrible, infact any game runs like total crap compared to the older drivers vs the new. 301.42 which i am using is the last driver that i tested upward doesn't decrease performance, so if you're using XP in general, its best to use drivers 260/270 or 301.42, anything above is going to cut your performance in half.

Just to note, i tired this in windows 7, but the results wasn't the same. I just get overall horrible performance compared to using XP with any driver. That i have tested anyway. Anyways to answer your question, image quality is the same yes. But looks good none the less. Seems like the 260/270 and 301 drivers were better without all the crap i guess idk. One thing i know, if a older driver in the past were working good with games, i don't see any reason why you or anyone shouldn't continue using them.

Sniper 2 at 1920x1080 max with fxaa , never drops below 30. 301.42 drivers. I even tested this game using the 267.59 and it ran smooth.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C41DoT2nFs

15. chuuey

chuuey Guest

Well shame I can't test those earlier drivers, they don't work with 660Ti ;) However one thing I can say about performance compared to Windows 7 for example : FFXIV benchmark does about 1100 points more and about 10 FPS more on XP compared to 7 on the same machine ;) In general DX9 performance is better on XP, from what I tested. If I need DX11 I just use 7 ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013

16. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I might download that FFXIV benchmark and do a video later. Thanks for that.
    Yea sorry about the 660 ti not being able to use those drivers, i was thinking about upgrading to a 650 ti boost tho, now i don't think that's a good idea. So the only driver that a 600 series card can use is the 314? Also yea DX9 is faster overall, but for games like Nexuiz , DX11 is hype and nothing more because the game looks the same in DX9 at the same setting.

And by the way i tested this 3 times already just to make sure, but if you have firefox or any browser open when running a game, the performance decrease about 15%. I never notice it until i was looking at my frame rate for bloodstone dropping at 28-30 frames , so after i close the browser, it went back up to 56-60.

17. chuuey

chuuey Guest

Not sure when support for 660ti was introduced or for 650 for that matter, some 600 series are supported by the 301 drivers though. Well some games only run in DX10 or 11 so unfortunately 7 is a necessary evil for those ;) Hehe ;)

18. LeZaSh

LeZaSh Guest

GPU:
    gtx460 1gb soc @900/4000
    xp = 10 year's old
    550ti = less than 2 year's old

xp has 4 gig memory limit, so if you have 2gig on graphics card that leaves 2gig for system+games........let xp die already...get with the time's people!!!

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Naw dog, XP for life. Why would I use anything else?

20. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    I wonder how you didn't manage to install Win98 or WinME