Planning to get another SSD to Raid 0 for Windows

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Neillithan, May 14, 2012.

1. Neillithan

Neillithan New Member

GPU:
    8800 GTX BFG OC
    Hi, I recently purchased the OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD from Newegg and I installed Windows 7 on it and I am absolutely blown away by its performance. The drive is SO fast.

I am so impressed that I want to get another drive and Raid 0, however, I can save some money by getting an OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD.

Would it be fine to get the Vertex 3 to Raid 0 with my Agility 3 SSD, or will that cause problems? Should I just get another Agility 3 and play it safe?

The reason I'm asking is because Newegg has it on a deal for $100 right now. It might not last.

Thanks,
    -Neil

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i wouldn't. The speed is nice, but the data loss if anything would happen is just not worth it. Put that money towards something else.

3. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    TRIM on Raid0 don't work, which mean your performance will degrade as time go by.
    Sandforce controllers have low performance compared to the new Indilinx Everest 2 one (OCZ exclusive, on Vertex 4).

Take a look at my personal benchmark of some I own:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4315336&postcount=195

It's quite clear you should by a Vertex 4 alone, the speed will still beat 2x Vertex3-Agility3 and TRIM will still be functional.
    The Vertex 4 64GB is about to get in stores if you want the lowest priced one.

4. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Raid0 is for fast big reads.
    Booting is mostly small reads.
    You're not looking at any kind of big gains with this move.
    With the lack of trim, and SF2's generally bad offline garbage collection, you're probably gonna lose speed over time.

-scheherazade

5. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    get an ocz revo for fast boot ;)

6. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    You won't notice ANY difference whatsoever raiding drives for your windows volume.

You would notice a decent gain if you use a RAID0 volume for a games drive (like Steam) for example

TRIM doesn't work on RAID but the Corsair Performance Pro drives have background garbage collection which works just as well. They are the only SSD drives that have this as far as i know

They are quite expensive though, i have two of them in RAID0 for Steam

7. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    RAID0 TRIM is something Intel is working on.

8. Neillithan

Neillithan New Member

GPU:
    8800 GTX BFG OC
    Thanks for your responses, guys. :)

So from what I've learned, it's not a good idea to Raid0 an OS drive because the performance gain would be very little.

I do prefer to run Steam on my SSD, so Raid 0 for Steam would be a wise idea.

As of right now, I have split my SSD into 2 partitions. 40 gigs for Windows, and 80 gigs for Steam and whatever else.

I was thinking about getting a second SSD so that I could have 240GB, 40 for Windows, and 200 for Steam and whatever else (partitioned).

I don't know much about Raid0 as I've never attempted it so I'm assuming that's possible. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not worried about the potential data loss associated with Raid0. The worst case scenario is, I will lose my OS and my Steam install, which is of zero consequence to me. All of my important data is backed up to physical drives and dropbox.

Can somebody explain TRIM to me? I'm not familiar with this term. Something about degrading performance over time...

Also, can somebody explain background garbage collection to me?

So, basically the OCZ Vertex 4 is great because it has a new controller? I looked at the provided link and those are some pretty high read/write numbers compared to my OCZ Agility 3.

It should be mentioned that I am bottlenecked because I do not have SATA 3 ports on my motherboard and I'm stuck on Socket 1156 which apparently does not have any motherboards with SATA 3.

Thanks! :)
    -Neil

9. Davy_b

Davy_b Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX670 CU II TOP
    good to know i was just goanna ask the same question about setting up a RAID 0 with 2 x SSD's , just out of curosity what does TRIM mean ??

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    In computing, a TRIM command allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally. While TRIM is frequently spelled in capital letters, it is a command name, not an acronym.

And going with RAID 0 SSD's for a home computer setup is pointless, you are not going to notice the speed benefit at that point.

As for garbage collection:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_collection_(SSD)#Garbage_collection