ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition gets a review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review we check out the marvelous ASUS Rampage IV series motherboards in the Black Edition. It's big, fast, black and has tweaking written all over it. The board is just gorgeous and totally ...

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition gets a review

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Great board....
    Asus sent 1000's of units of this board all over the USA, Canada Australia but left Europe with hardly any before xmas. Many people were annoyed including myself as getting one after xmas, well whats the point in that as all the fun has gone.

Also the Asus reps snarky comments on the ROG forum didnt go down to well with people in the UK considering they had preordered in september and didnt bet till after xmas.

I wont be buying an Asus board for a good while, there RMA sucks anyhow and Peter Shamino has now left Asus, his last great creation was this motherboard.

Wherever Peter goes, great boards appear, it will be EVGA for me on Haswell E when it appears.

Rampage 4 black extreme is a great board but Asus took the piss with releasing it in the UK and left many people dissapointed while releasing to the rest of the world and making snarking comments to there european customers.

A great deal which was delivered too late unfortunately, even the Asus rep came into the Ocuk thread and apologized for the way things had been handled with the release of this board.

I wont be buying Asus again for a very long time and there RMA is the worst out of any manufacturer so i wont lose any sleep over it.

3. slow_poke

slow_poke Guest

GPU:
    evga
    You seriously think you will be doing yourself a favor picking any evga mobo over an asus or giga mobo?

4. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    One thing I would love to know if the secure erase feature will make it to other UEFI boards from ASUS? One feature i'm missing on my Sabertooh 990FX R2.0

Sabertooh 990FX
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
    Not sure if it would be possible any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    There all the same unless your using LN or PC. Only when pushing the boards to the extreme threshold will there be a difference. World records are broke regarding cpu on Asus boards. World records are broke regarding gpu's on EVGA boards.

Check out the Firestrike results if you dont beleive me.

Ive also used all 3 manufacturers in the past and never had a problem with either regarding there functionality and overclocking. Im no idiot when it comes to hardware my friend:)

6. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    World records are broken on Gigabyte boards too. :)

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    True. But Asus and EVGA boards are the more popular ones within the extreme overclocking community.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I would agree for the most part

But I really think people should not go by world records when choosing a motherboard.
    Sure if you need crazy features like ln2 modes and on the fly overclocking gadgets then maybe but really those records' are with pro clockers and binned chips who have a lot at there disposal.
    Getting back to this mb if you want the best for sub zero on this socket its the mb to get,not only for the features but the overclocking support like bios and settings.
    As for me I could not hold out it was taking too long to come to market and am happi with just the plain old rive

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah the most extreme i will go is just plain old tap water with custom blocks lol, im not really a bencher if im honest. I will leave the Extreme cooling and benching to the likes of yourself Cowie. :)

Besides if EVGA can make a Haswell E like the old x58 FTW that they made in 2008 then they will be on to a winner. Peter Shamino designed that x58 also. I wonder were he will go next....

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Seems like a nice upgrade of the Rampage IV Extreme, would be nice to have one of these and a 4930 or so CPU but it wouldn't be much of a upgrade compared to what it would cost, better wait for Intel and it's x99 boards I suppose.
    (If I had money to burn I'd probably upgrade anyway, heh.)

As usual these are quite pricy though but it's quite high quality although seeing how it is for the normal R4E board there will likely be a lot of bios upgrades released for this, heh at least the motherboards are better supported than their soundcards although there's been some improvements there as well recently. :p

No idea about ASUS support either, here you usually contact the retailer and then they work it out with the company but I guess you could contact the manufacturer directly too.
    (Never done that though, but I have not needed to do that many RMA's so far thankfully.)

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    In the UK they used to have a 5 day turnaround but even that has gone to pot nowadays. You can get your RMA sorted but it can take weeks, sometimes a couple of months.

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Oh yes I forgot about that, it does take time before it's all sorted through and you have the product shipped back to you, upwards of a month in some cases. :)

(Hopefully as a completely new product and not the old one returned to sender.)
    (Though that rarely happens, for most computer components if it's broken or damaged it's not like it can be disassembled and fixed as far as I know, unless say for a motherboard it's a bios issue or well firmware related.)

13. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Picked up one of these a few weeks before Xmas couldn't believe little old New Zealand had them in supply lol , liking the OC panel a lot its really handy but the cable for the panel could be longer using a 900D so its got along way to go.
    An issue i had was random reboots while gaming adjusted my ram timings and its rock solid now:) this board seems really picky with ram and timings but its new and still on its first bios so can only get better.
    Have come from a Gigabyte X79 UD7/3930k which i had for about 2 years, Its my first Asus motherboard so lots of the bios settings were new to me..
    I plan on keeping this MB and CPU for a few years or until the DDR4 hardware is available and has matured some.

14. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Holy BATMAN!!

I have inside information that this motherboard will power Batman's computer. That big multi-display one inside his cave. :D

15. MAD5

MAD5 Guest

GPU:
    SLI Titan EVGA / ASUS
    Where can you find it on Street prices at 399 USD??? Newegg have it for 100 more at 500 USD. And the same with Amazon, or any store I check.

16. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    He was talking about Euro prices. Currently its selling at 390-400Euros in the EU.