Help: Vsync in Skyrim

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Miken420, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Miken420

Miken420 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    Hello all

Like all of you I've been hard at work trying to get the best possible gaming experience out of Skyrim on my system.

It runs great, upwards of 100-120 fps sometimes. However there is one gleaming problem for me.

I can't for the life of me get Vsync to enable in the game. When I try to look up the problem online, all I can manage to find is people who are having trouble Disabling Vsync.

I've tried forcing it in the CCC to on. Using RadeonPRO to force Vsync ON with and without API Detection.

I've tried putting iPresentInterval=1 in the Skyrim.ini and the SkyrimPrefs.ini

I've tried disabling CrossfireX

I even tried D3DOverrider!

My problem is that when vsync is off, I get a splashing effect that's like I'm constantly being submerged in and out of water, even though I'm standing on solid land with no water around. It's totally immersion breaking and it's driving me insane!

When I looked up this issue I found people saying to Enable Vsync. Arghhhh!!

If anyone can help me get Vsync to turn ON in Skyrim, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

:Edit: I forgot to add I've tried the 11.9, 11.10 and 11.11 drivers. Also the CAPs I've tried are 11.9 CAP4 and 11.11 CAP1

I use RadeonPRO Oblivion CFX Profile forced with AFR rendering method.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. Miken420

Miken420 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    I ended up fixing my problem by using a program called Dxtory to limit the FPS to 59.9 FPS

It's a great program with a free trial mode that lets you use the fps limiting feature. If anyone ends up having a problem like mine, I recommend trying Dxtory prior to jumping out of a 3rd story window. :wanker:

3. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    That's odd, I had a hell of a time getting vsync off. Then I went back to vsync on because I was getting a lot of tearing. Not only that but my mouse would be uncontrollable when looking up and down even when side to side was really slow. I don't use mouse accel or any smoothing so maybe that's why.

4. Miken420

Miken420 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    Yeah that's pretty much the sum of every Vsync related post on the entire internet.

I haven't had the issue with the laggy mouse because I've never managed to get Vsync to work.

Limiting the FPS this way I guess is kind of the best of both worlds. You get the FPS limiting feature of Vsync without all of the lag involved.

This program works on Dx9,10, and 11 too. And you only have to register it if you want to use it like FRAPS for video recording n stuff.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I understood that Vsync is enabled in Skyrim by default.
    There are two sets of config files, one set in the game folder and one in the My Documents/MyGames folder. And I've read that it's the Skyrim.ini not the SkyrimPrefs.ini that should receive the iPresentInterval=1 under [Display].

Setting 0 in the Skyrim.ini definitly disables Vsync and forcing it On in CCC would not help. I had to use RadeonPro to have Vsync enabled once again.

6. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
  7. Salvador

Salvador Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD6950 (Unlocked)
    My solution

This is the first post I see about the splashing issue.
    Couldn't find a solution on the net myself.
    It started when I started meddling with either the ini files or setting the 3d settings in CCC to high quality.

For me it was solved by setting the 3d settings back to default. Then backup both your skyprefs and skyrim ini files in the my games folder. Then delete them and restart your skyrim launcher. set everything back to ultra. Play the game.

This solved it for me. Shadows looked much better after I did that!!. (There are shadows on trees even though I deleted the changed ini file, therefore they should be off, but their not?...)

I forced vsync in CCC after that, I don't like the tearing, and fps limiters have been shown to cause CTD.

I'd say, give it a try.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  8. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    I also understand that vsync is enabled by default and that you can disable it by putting the command "iPresentInterval=0" into the "C,Users,Name,My Docs,My Games,Skyrim,SkyrimPrefs" folder just at the bottom of the [Display] section. Just an idea but have a go at putting "iPresentInterval=1" there instead? Might work?

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    iPresentInterval=0 is found in .cfg files of many different games, and yes it disables game enabled vsync .

However you'll need to make sure it's off in the CCC as well. :)

10. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    That mod disables vsync. It works, but the tearing I get is terrible, even when the framrate is set at 30fps, so I wouldn't advise using it if you hate tearing (or the "splashing-effect" as the OP calls it)

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Apparently Skyrims Vsync option heavily impacts on the FPS which is why it's recommended to force Vsync through D3DOverrider or RadeonPro.

I agree to the statement that extreme tearing occur when disabling Vsync ingame.

12. Miken420

Miken420 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    Yea I have no idea wtf is going on with the vsync and my Skryim. I deleted my .ini files and reset my 3d settings and all that stuff just for the hell of it to see if it works. I'm kinda OCD about troubleshooting lol xD

But I've tried all of the other suggestions prior to making this post, as you can see in my OP.

The only thing that worked for me was this Dxtory program. It's fine by me, I'm not sure about the FPS limiter mod, but this program doesn't induce any kind of crazy screen tearing. Everything is pretty much perfect now, no complaints! :)