Wait for Haswell cpu or not ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by gd12, Dec 9, 2012.

1. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    I was in the same dilema, and wanted to ask for a little help too.

As dr.noob mentioned, I was afraid it would only release in june or latter. I'm possibly going to do my Ph.D abroad starting middle of 2015 so it would be a waste to refresh my pc just to sell it less then 6 month later, and then buy a new pc overseas.

I wanted to buy a 3770K now, since this is the oportunity I have, and since haswell haven't been released yet. After I go I think in getting a broadwell or whatever is on sale by then. Besides that, I already have a friend that want my C4F+1090T+ram, so I would be able to upgrade with minimal aditional cost.

I realy wanted to wait for haswell, but I don't know if in my case it would be the best option. Do you guys have any other sugestions?

I'll be next week in NYC, and wanted to buy the parts there, mainly the mobo and the ram. My first idea was J&R, do anyone know any other good computer parts store in manhatam?

My intention was to get a Maximus V formula, I've been using asus for a very long time and they never have let me down as far mobos go, and I had a great experience with my C4F, so for me ROG is a good idea. Other possibility is asus z77 TUF, but I have never used a TUF mobo.

What would be a good ram for the 3770K+Maximus V Formula?
    I don't need those huge 32/64 GB kits, I belive 8GB would be enough, but I would like good quality, stable, and fast ram. (If possible in the Maximus V QVL, I don't want headaches with compatibility).

My real problem is that there are few ram options in both J&R and B&H physical stores, so my intention was to get ram only through newegg or amazon, since I'll be staying only between January 1st to 8th, I'm afraid it don't get there on time. Also, I have a Noctua NH-D14, so RAMs with tall heatsink are no good to me.

Any ideas for good ram with the above constraints are more than welcome.

So, thank you guys for the help

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Look for a microcenter for a CPU, walk in prices are excellent for Intel cpus

3. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    That's quite the problem. I'm going to manhatan in vacation, so I don't realy know where to look for. The only 2 stores that I'm aware of are J&R and B&H, both that are easy to spot.

So, if you have any good adress, specialy near 71st West, I would be most thankfull.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296

5. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    The Sandy Bridge-E LGA2011 X79 / C600 series platform was released in late 2011 and we are now in 2013. Generally speaking, if you get in on a platform when its new it will likely be relevant / current longer.

It just doesn't seem to make sense IMO to buy into a platform late in the products life cycle.

However, I also wouldn't make judgments about new unproven platforms based on new technology. We hear about things like tri-channel memory and expect better performance over dual-channel,.....but does it really amount to noteworthy performance gains when it's released or just disappointment???

I'm sure there were a lot of people expecting Ivy Bridge to OC like a monster with respect to Sandy Bridge,......how did that turn out,....???

Intel basically has no comaptition on the PC platform so pushing performance is less of a goal when they are only competing with themselves. ARM is eating Intel's lunch in the ultra portable segment of the market and this is partly due to lower power consumption. Intel's new priority is power efficiency not massive desktop PC performance improvements,....

6. mw8t

mw8t Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    I to cannot use RAM with tall heatsink.

I'm running 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2133MHz 11-11-11-27.