Flash FX 5900 --> FX 5950 Ultra!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AJ²06, Jan 9, 2004.

1. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Hey guys,
    I found this on the net. It says u can possibly flash ur FX 5900 cards to FX 5950 Ultra cards!! It even works for some of the FX 5900 XT cards..... :eek:
    AS FAR AS I KNOW ONLY THE 5900 FAMILY CAN FLASH. NOT the 5200's, 5600's, or 5700!!!!!

Check this site out: Click here ;)

Heres a site on how to flash ur card with the BIOS and flash utility Click Here!

And HERE by Chouji

IF YOU HAVE A 5900XT, then go HERE!

AS ALWAYS, FLASH AT UR OWN RISK....

Last edited: May 8, 2004
  2. WarheadMM

WarheadMM Master Guru

GPU:
    Asylum FX 5900NU
    yeah that story has been on basically EVERY video card forum. Alot of people have already dont it

3. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    y? it messes things up?

4. WarheadMM

WarheadMM Master Guru

GPU:
    Asylum FX 5900NU
    no....just informing you that alot of people are doing it.....and there has been alot of successful mods

5. lost_soul9k

lost_soul9k Member Guru

GPU:
    ???
    Wow that's nice. I've got a Gainward Geforce Fx5900, I guess I would have to ask my friend to mod it cause I'm not a expert at modding !
    What are the risks involved ?

6. WarheadMM

WarheadMM Master Guru

GPU:
    Asylum FX 5900NU
    all the mod does is flash your video card bios to another cards bios. The worts thing that could happen is your flashing goes bad and you will have a dead card. But there is a way to recover so you wont lose it. BTW if your freind is good at modding then i highly recomend that he does it casue he will know what to do

7. BlackAce

BlackAce Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EN7800GTX
    so...does this mean u can flash the fx5600 bios to a fx5600ultra with stock cooling??

8. Shuffl@

Shuffl@ Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5870M
    waste of time the download links dont work anyway!!! if anyone was succesful to get the leadtek 5950 bios could u send me it plz! ill try and tell u the results!

9. armhunter

armhunter Master Guru

GPU:
    x2 EVGA 7800GTX 256 ACS³ SLI
    I am looking for the Gainward fx5900 to 5950u bios as well...
    if anyone has them, please help....

The Gainward tool for downloading bios will only let you download bios for your existing card, not another card...

thanks

10. Blissed

Blissed Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 8800GTS 320mb
    I'd be very interested to hear how others have gotten on with the Leadtek patch, especially with the LX model like mine.

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Think it would be worth selling my 9700 pro and picking up one of these 5900nu's (to mod it of course)? Im really tempted to, but I want to here other people's opinions first.

12. xXMrMeathooksXx

xXMrMeathooksXx Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 295's Quad sli
    Uh...why go through the trouble of flashing the bios?Just o/c the 5900!Anyway...a 475/950 o/c isent really worth the trouble,now is it?YOUR 5900 WILL AUTO DETECT A HIGHER CLOCK AN BE STABLE!!!!Besides that it is only tested to work on two cards so far.....Bragging rights would be the only logical explaination for trying this,its not like its going to transform your hardware into a super Geforce or something. lol...

13. reborn

reborn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX460 1GB @Stock
    i did it
    and now its working perfectly well......

14. xXMrMeathooksXx

xXMrMeathooksXx Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 295's Quad sli
    But it still doesent change the hardware,just the bios.Will never be as stable.Again,bragging rights.

15. armhunter

armhunter Master Guru

GPU:
    Erics

it raises the voltage as well... which does make it more stable...

here is a link I think you should read.

http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3766

Why overclock the thing when it can be set to those specs,, where it probably should be set too... THink about it...
    they tune the card down on purpose for marketing... lower the memory and they have another device to sell.... same chipset, different bios....
    stop crying about it.

16. Blissed

Blissed Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 8800GTS 320mb
    The only thing that concerns me with my card (aqnd it is one of the ones that it is supposed to work for) is that the memory on mine is only 2.8ns and not designed to run that fast. Is this an issue and if I went and did the bios flash should I be down rating the memory speed?

17. uffjohn

uffjohn Guest

GPU:
    MSI GF470 GTX
    Would one need any special cooling for this? And would it work with my Gainward GeForce FX5900 128MB DDR 2.8ns
    AGP, "Ultra/1100TV-DVI", Retail?

18. armhunter

armhunter Master Guru

GPU:
    Read the link I sent in my earlier post....
    I have the same Gainward fx 5900 card... it works fine..
    did not need any extra cooling. as long as your computer has decent cooling/circulation...

19. Blissed

Blissed Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 8800GTS 320mb
    Uffjohn, just out of interest what is the default memory clock speed of your card. I have a Leadtek FX5900LX and by default the memory is clocked at 700Mhz as opposed to 850Mhz because the memory is 2.8ns rather than 2.2ns. Now I had read that 2.8ns memory is rated at around 700-800Mhz speed and 2.2ns was faster. However, I am sure that I have seen advertised standard fx5900nu running at 400/850 with 2.8ns RAM.

20. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    Considering the 5950u is just a higher voltaged, higher clocked 5900, why not bios flash it? You get the benefits of higher overclockable stability just like a real 5950 does with it's higher voltages.

I've been able to overclock my BFG fx5900u(450/850 stock) to 540/1000 with the 5950u bios. Before the flash, I maxed out at 500/950.

90 mhz more from the gpu
    150 mhz more from the Ram

All this on stock cooling.