Windows 8.1 SP1 will get full start menu again

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2014.

1. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    After 17 years being a core part of Windows MS decides to pull it completely. Blames PC manufactures for slow Win 8 sales. Then says it will bring it back in Windows 8.1 after lots of complaints. But all they brought back was the Start Icon that takes you back to the Tiles o_O. So after a year and half they are truly bringing back the Start Menu we all know and love.

So I wonder how much this little blunder has cost MS?

I still do not see how Win 8 is Superior over Win 7. I have to identical Laptops one running 8 the other running 7. I see no performance gain other then Win8 boots up and shuts down faster.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I like the task manager in 8 much more plus it seem a bit lighter than 7.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Probably hasn't cost them much, as the market has been declining for years anyway.

PC sales are slow as barely anyone wants a PC or even a laptop these days and Apple and Android are the main choices of tablet.

The DX12 addition (if it happens) is more likely to increase sales and excite than adding a new hybrid Start Menu will.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    PC is a dying breed. Most people don't want desktops or even laptops anymore. I also think that Windows 7 came out a time when people were willing to upgrade their PC's after having XP for so long since Vista had so many issues at launch. I think even if 8 was a perfect system it wouldn't come close to 7 sales.

It's more noticeable in low end systems. 8 uses a lot less memory than 7. I also find the driver recovery to be more reliable. I don't think I've ever had 8 blue screen on me. I can't say the same about 7.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ive been listening to people saying that for 10 years

PC isn't dying, far from it

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The PC market has been shrinking for 7 consecutive quarters. It may bounce back or even out for a bit but bottom line is that people's computing habits are shifting to mobile. Will PC ever completely die? Obviously not but if you think that somehow a new version of windows will suddenly boost the market into some type of elevated height of awesomeness then you're delusional. It's definitely losing steam and while it may take twenty years eventually it's going to be smallest computing market.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If it's shrinking in sales it's because Windows is getting better and everyone and their dog already has a PC, people are not seeing the need to buy new machines imo

I don't know one person who doesn't have at the very least 1 PC or Laptop, even OAPs have them

Mobile devices are a different breed altogether, mobile will not replace desktop, they will co-exist and be used for different scenarios

Anyway, not getting into another discussion about something people have been saying for decades and it is yet to happen - desktops will never die, laptops will never die, mobile devices will never die

They will all just continue to get better and faster and live side by side

8. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    This is like saying that music has died just because justin bieber and lady gaga are hit "artists". Music isn't dead, it just sucks right now. Same with Microsoft, it's at an all-time low right now bringing little innovation to the desktop. The start button was exciting when it was released, now they're bringing it back because they failed to replace it with a better system. PC's won't ever die, they will get smaller, better, and more efficient.

9. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    This!

I want a OS thats for PC not phones and tablets and as after thought also works for PC WTF
    ?...screw MS.
    Sorry for rant hehe.

If linux was as good for games and mean all games as windows i would never buy windows again.

I'll wait for Win9.

10. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    You know whats funny? I upgraded from Windows 7; dirty install too. I have seen "metro" ONCE, I have used this PC everyday, pretty much all day.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    PCs aren't going to go away, but since the average PC user only browses the web, plays casual games, and reads email, tablets have taken away PC sales. Eventually, non-tablet computers will be used only for what they were intended for - productivity/work. They'll just become a tool, so that means sales will shrink but they'll never stop in the foreseeable future. Of course PCs will always be used for gaming, but at some point tablets will play games equally as detailed as PCs, at which point PCs will just be used as tools. I don't really see this as a problem.

Anyway, I think this new start menu is actually kind of nice. I think Windows 8 should have had this first, as a transition to the Metro/Modern interface. Then, 8.1 should have booted to the start screen by default, but with the option to switch back to the start menu.

12. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    Desktop will always out perform consoles-laptops-tablets-phones ext.

PC Desktop will not die, it will just getting a bit smaller user base that want hardware out perform all and can do all for higher price that's all.

Only HOLODECKS will replace desktops:)

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I guess, if you assume the current computing paradigm will remain the same.

More than likely though computing power will be centralized to either a device in the house or in the cloud. In which case regardless of the form factor you're receiving the same performance.

14. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I have absolutely no interest in this OS save to write this post. I look forward to the next "odd numbered" OS from Microsoft which hopefully will follow the established pattern that odd numbered releases represent the company's return to sanity.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They won't ever die off, but the popularity they once had is no more and likely never will be again.

I don't know anyone who uses a desktop other than my brother in law and that is because I gave him my old one, while nearly everyone I know has replaced their laptop with a tablet.

MS is best focusing on desktops for businesses as tablets can't replace those when it comes to working all day, but the home market (outside of gaming) is only going to shrink even further.

16. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    ^
    That. There are plenty of people that don't see a need to get a new PC as long as their decade+ old PC still turns on and can access the internet.

17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I thought so. As releasing the re-introduced start menu would be too big of a change for them to release on such a short notice. I wonder how long it had been in the works though as not long before that they were still keen on keeping the start screen (and the changes they would be making to it made it function more as a full-screen start menu). Honestly, I'd like see Microsoft find a way to include both options as I hate the start screen when I'm at my desktop, but when I'm connected to larger screen (TV or projector) the start screen is so much better than the start menu. I would like to see them co-exist like you can have it if you're using start8, classicshell, or startisback.

18. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    c'est vraiement tard pour les idiots du Microsoft....(des casse-couilles)

French aunty @Home.....

Folding!!!!!!!

19. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Im now a big fan of windows 8.1 and wouldn't want to go back to 7, i like to have the latest windows installed and will most likely upgrade to 9 when its time ... however i find that my FPS in some games better than win7 eg BF4 AC Black Flag , i find that sli scaling is better in 8.1 and i welcome and look forwards to the new updates :)

20. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    8 or 8.1 good for simple users.......but a**-kicking functionalities for developers / IT Techs.....

Well..... MS targeting for developing countries...... (STRATEGIC) ....\may be.....