Bose Companion 5....

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Slam, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Just picked these up yesterday. Incredible sound. I know, it's crazy to spend $350 on a set of speakers for your PC. But damn, how is it any different than spending $350 on my video card? It's not really. LOL

Anyhoo...I've been building pc's forever. But what's got me curious, because I've never really looked into it, is how does sound get produced from a USB port? These Bose plug straight into a USB, and don't require a sound card at all. I guess the "sound card" is probably in the sub?

2. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    yeah its build-in woofer.

Idk im not a fan of that setup, i had Bose companion 3 and for me personally it sucked. Missing /Weak mid freq. spectrum was the biggest no no...Bass was sick, one of the best i've heard in such systems.

3. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Yeah...but the 5 is quite different from the Companion 3 (at least the original 3, not the 3 Series ll), from what I have been reading. 5 definitely has plenty of bass. I've only had to turn the sub up a little over half way, and it shakes pretty good. It's a clean bass response, not the big muddy "boom boom boom" type of bass...which is awesome.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    yeah i had Companion 3 II,..

Yep bass is really sick, deep &groovy :)

5. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    "deep and groovy" is the perfect way to describe it. :)

What you running for speakers now?

6. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Yeah, Bose are quite good... :) Most people here don't like them though, however, as some people here also say, sound is subjective :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

7. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Hey RD!

Yeah, they are really good. My previous set was a pretty decent Creative 2.1 system. They were good, but the Bose puts them to shame.

8. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    I bought something cheaper AltecLansing thx 5025? with better mid sound reproduction and more defined spectrum as a whole, the bass is still deep but not so groovy anymore, its more of a kick.

Your companions 5 have bigger satellites, imo this mid-sound freq. shouldn't be a problem.. but back then when i was buying them companion5 was very expensive 540€ vs Companion3 II 320€.

And yeah that Bose bass groove is one of a kind :), lol its what i miss the most by this Altec :p

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Thanks m8 for the cool nickname :) I have a really good Sub for my system, it's a POLK Audio 430 watt rms tuned sub, PSW505 model... But yeah, the Bose subs are also tuned, which give them the edge in the bass department. :)

regards,
    RagDoll (RD) :)

10. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Could have gotten the superior Klipsch Promedia GMX 2.1 for less than £100!

I've never heard a Bose sound system than sounded decent. Hell, even my Mercedes C32 AMG has a Bose sound system, and even that isn't particularly good.

11. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    "Superior" to you maybe.

But as a lot of people say, sound quality is subjective. And after reading a lot of reviews before buying, quite a few people disagree with you.

12. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

I just picked up a pair of those. It was between the Klipsch and the Bose Companion 3 at Sam's Club for $199.00 USD. Besides price the one thing that drove me to the Klipsch was the 2-way satellites. The Promedia are the nicest sounding computer speakers I have ever owned, but I am sure the Companion 3 were no slouch either. Companion 5 is a whole different game and I have never even heard them in person.

13. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    Sorry...there isnt a Bose system on the planet that would begin to compare to the sound of a set of Klipsch...compare the numbers..compare the sound...its just not gonna happen. This is my opinion, base on my experience with my Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's, as well as many Bose systems and setups that I've demo'd.

Again, this is my own opinion.

14. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Yeah, I agree Klipsch make a very good product, but if you've owned a klipsch, but only demo'ed a Bose, then you're really not getting the comparison fairly imo, because it may have not been tweaked or anything and also, you're hearing the Bose in a store. The Klipsch would of course sound better at home, and so would the Bose system... Can you see what I'm getting at?

regards,
    RagDoll.

15. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    actually..i bring all systems home to demo them..listen to them side by side...and demo them quite thourougly. I like to get as thourough an answer for myself as possible when demo'ing and you cant demo properly unless you bring them home....theres just no way. Even the 'numbers' on the products are vastly different...on avg, of capability of the hardware...hard to imagine that even...

16. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Not to purport a flame war, but just to add an opinion in case someone was shopping for speakers and stumbled upon this thread....

I switch my whole sound setup like once a week lol....someone gave me those Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers to hang onto, so I threw my X-Fi Titanium HD back in. Okay, these speakers are far from endgame, but for cheap desktop speakers? They sound way nicer than any I have ever heard (and they sh*t all over my $400 monitors but they aren't really meant for entertainment).

If he takes these back, I will order a set for myself immediately.

17. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool, didn't know you could do that cos in Australia, you can't...:( Well then, you would know first hand and I commend you on the thorough testing dude...:)

regards,
    RagDoll.

18. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    I think Bose makes decent products but they're nowhere near the price/performance ratio they should be in.

There are plenty of higher quality products out there for less of the price.

19. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    This is true, because I could put together a system for 2k, heaps better than any bose system, so I hear what you're saying... :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

20. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Those speakers look like a ripoff. I feel sorry for the chumps who feed into Bose's marketing machine cause that's all they are: slick marketing and no substance.