RT Vista UAC Workaround

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by FlyingHorse, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    You know, that sounds like the problem reported by Tom's Hardware a few months back about supposed issues with WD Raptors, 8800's, and Vista. I never gave it much credence because I ran Vista with 2 Raptors though they were not in RAID.

In any event, I'm glad you were able to get things sorted out.

2. InterClaw

InterClaw Guest

GPU:
    Tray icon

Hi,

I've done all the steps in your guide, but I'm having trouble getting the icon in the notification area to be created when RT is running at login.

The exe IS running in task manager, but I can't access it. The task in task scheduler says "Running". If I manually end the task and run it again the icon is properly created!

The task has the action to start a program and it reads:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner v2.06\RivaTuner.exe" /T

The /T part is in the Add arguments (optional) section as instructed. And as I said, it's working perfectly fine if I manually rerun the task... Can't figure it out. Please help.

/T means to send it to the tray I hope? :*) Anyway, that's what I want.

I'm using RT 2.06 on Vista x64.

Oh oh, and another question (unrelated) regarding step 4 in your guide. I guess the shortcut is still supposed to ask for elevation, right?

3. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    @InterClaw
    First make sure that
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner v2.06\RivaTuner.exe" /T
    is the last entry in the 'Actions' list if you have multiple action entries.

If this is already the case or you have only the one entry then end the task and refresh making sure that the task status indicates 'Ready'. Now run the task and see if the RT icon shows up. If it does then you are probably experiencing the same issues that I do. I have observed that both in XP and Vista the system tray icons are missing sometimes. RT is not alone in this as I have seen many programs that exhibit this problem. (Actually I am certain that it is a problem with MS).

If the RT icon doesn't show up then there may be a problem elsewhere.

As far as starting RT via the shortcut the answer is yes, you should get the UAC prompt.

Let me know if you get things working.

4. InterClaw

InterClaw Guest

GPU:
    I have the same problem you're having then. Okay, so it's a stupid Windows problem then. :)

The task says "Running" after logon (I guess because I'm logged on) and the exe is running in task manager, but no tray icon.

If I manually end the task (and hit F5) the job says "Ready". The exe stops.

I then run the task again manually (to simulate a logon). The exe runs again AND I get the tray icon. But I'm not getting the tray icon when the system does this by itself during a "real" logon.

I also tried by simply logging off windows (not rebooting) and logging back in. Same problem, only exe, no tray icon.

Does RT still work in this state? I've set some temperature thresholds when the fan should start spinning up.

5. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    I assume this will work on Vista ultimate 64 as well?
    I am getting the issue on start up: riva tuner 2.06 is blocked from starting up. I have to unblock it manually every time.

6. InterClaw

InterClaw Guest

GPU:
    darrenj: Yes, I'm using Vista x64.

FlyingHorse: It suddenly started working as it should! I have no idea how this happened, but now the tray icon is being created when I log on. I assure you I didn't change anything. I'm dumbfounded by this... Maybe you should check your tray icon as well. :)

7. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    Yes, it will continue to happen. Remember that portions of the startup are run asynchronously and may change from one startup to the next. Things like prefetching, superfetch, and readyboost all conspire to change the order that applications or services are started. I believe that some applications that have system tray icons, like RT, can actually finish loading prior to explorer.exe and the desktop.

Another thing that you may wish to try is to add some delay to the event trigger. Edit the task and select the 'Trigger' tab then edit the 'At log on' entry. Midway down under 'Advanced settings' is the 'Delay task for:' entry. Select one of the pre-made entries or just type in one of your own, for instance '15 seconds'. This will cause the task to wait for that amount of time after the task's trigger occurs, in this case 'At log on'. The delay will not happen when you start the task manually. This delay may give more time for the desktop to be properly drawn and setup before RT is launched.

HTH

8. InterClaw

InterClaw Guest

GPU:
    Interesting...! Definitely sounds like a possibility to what is happening.

I did as you said. Chose 30 seconds to be on the safe side. Now all I can do is hope I get to keep my icon.

9. mikeyakame

mikeyakame Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 729/1566/2700
    works fine in vista x64 still. as long as u edit the manifest file, change to asInvoker, and read-only flag it. then add that task, it works perfectly. I've been doing it every version I install, and never a problem, I usually do delay 15sec or so, just because of startup apps.

10. ChinoTonto

ChinoTonto New Member

First of all, the workaround has worked fine on my Vista 64 bit (Ultimate). Thanks, FlyingHorse!

Now a question: How can I delete the scheduled task--Lauch RivaTuner Tray Tool or whatever name you have given it?

Windows Help says just highlight the task you want to delete, and then go to "Actions" tab, choose "delete"! Simple as that! But when I did this, NO delete function was available under the "Actions" tab!?:bang:

I have found that I need to delete the scheduled task often, as I often update my Nvidia drivers. And to update your Nvidia drivers, often you want to uninstall and reinstall your RivaTuner as well! And when you uninstall RivaTuner, you also want to delete the scheduled task for RivaTuner to run, when Windows boots up, right?

But I have NOT been able to delete the scheduled task!?:bang:

Hope someone can help me out on this!

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007

11. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    @ChinoTonto

First off let me just say that I have installed many different Nvidia driver versions myself and not once have I had to uninstall RT. My normal procedure is to end RT and then disable the task in Task Scheduler. After updating the drivers I re-enable the RT task then start it normally.

Now to your question of how to delete a task. There are two ways that I know of. One is to simply select the task then right click and choose delete. The second way is to again select the task and on the right in the 'Action' pane under 'Selected Item' choose delete. You may have to click on the little triangle on the right to see the items under 'Selected Items'

Let me know how you fare. If you need I can take a screenshot and put it up for you.

12. ChinoTonto

ChinoTonto New Member

Thanks for the reply, FH.

When I right click on the scheduled task to delete, NOTHING shows up.

When I highlight the task, and then go to the "ACTIONS" tab, this is what is shown:

[​IMG]

No option to delete?

What gives?

Thanks for the reply!

13. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    @ChinoTonto

You are looking at the 'Task Status' not the actual task entry. Make sure that the console tree panel on the left is open and then select 'Task Scheduler Library' you should then see the actual task entries.

[​IMG]

HTH

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  14. ChinoTonto

ChinoTonto New Member

Thanks, FH, for the tip!

It has solved the problem for me now!

Thanks!!!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  15. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    A veritable PIA for those of us who want UAC but want some degree of what regularly gets through and what doesn't. No thanks to MS but hey, Flying Horse, you've been a great help.

Now if MS allowed under Administration tools to allow Admin people the ability to tell UAC what's kosher and what's not, then life would be a little easier. Help us power nuts and prevent clueless from screwing with their PC and is a much better option to turning UAC off altogether.

16. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    small question does this method work in RT 2.07 and with vista 64bit SP1?

17. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    I don't know about RT 2.07 because to my knowledge it has not yet been released.

As for Vista 64bit SP1 this method works for me. I am running the RTM version from my TechNet subscription.

18. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    used this method with 2.07 works but i get this happen the buttons get cut off at the bottom of the RT window. any ideas on this?

[​IMG]

19. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    ok seem to have fixed it after removing and reinstalling rivatuner

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  20. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox Active Member

GPU:
    4870 1GB, 8800GTX
    Tried all of the info. in the thread--zero success so far (probably thanks to Vista Service Pack 1 that completely enforces Driver Signing--preinstalled with my Vista x64 Ultimate edition).

Any new work-arounds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.