Build quality; Corsair VS G.Skill

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mkilbride, Oct 27, 2011.

?

Quality

1. Corsair

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. G.Skill

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  3. Same quality.

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yes, OCZ did discontinue their RAM business earlier during the year to solely focus on power supplies and SSDs.

deltatux

2. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    This is grade 5 math.

If you bought 100 apples and out of that 100 1 was a bad apple would it be worse then if you bought 10 apples and only 1 was also bad?

My answer is the one selling 100 is better because there are 99 good ones vs. 9 good ones with the other batch! My reason better quality control!!

You follow?

3. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    I LOL'd at that.

I do agree with that. That's why I don't buy anything from "major" brands.

Sorry to disappoint. That name didn't come from Quake.

Originally OCZ was one of those small RAM brands like GEIL, who specialized in high end memory. What happened was, they got greedy and went for quantity over quality, as many have seen based on their failure rates, and that had killed their business. I still own a pair of their DDR1 PC4000 Platinum ram and that product was from around the time when they were up top. Anyone who have owned a high-end OCZ from that time will probably agree with me that OCZ meant enthusiast quality around nforce3, nforce 4 era. I've completely skipped DDR2 but when getting DDR3 ram I noticed OCZ was one of the cheapest brands that "opened up" from enthusiast market to the general public. Because of the increase in memory volume, they've made a choice to use other suppliers for memory, and undergo less testing than they used to, eventually leading to higher RMA rates.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  4. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    :bonk: I was going to post a proper reply to this thread but maleficarus' ignorance is too hard to ignore.

5. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    I'm not ignorant at all really. Most of you guys here are what? 20 to 25 years old? And out of that 20 or so years maybe the last 5 to 10 years have been playing PC games. Well I'm 40 years old and the last 20 have been online or on my PC playing and building/repairing PC's. It is just experience not ignorance. I'm not bragging or anything, it is just with age comes wisdom. And frankly most here have no wisdom at all when it comes to what to buy and when you buy it. If I recommend to buy Asus 90% would ignore that and buy BGF only to find out the company is no longer in business. I recommend buying GTX460 and OC it for BF3. EVRYONE here laughed at me, told me I was crazy and I would be lucky to get 30 FPS on medium settings. Guess what? 60 FPS on ultra high!

My point is instead of always arguing with my recommendations, why not follow them? My passion is electronics with PC electronics in particular. I am constantly reading up on old and new PC technology on a daily basis. I spend hours reading up on what is hot and what is not from PC magazines of which I have 4 subscriptions too, to reading tech forums. I focus on the technology and not the benchmark scores. I pay a lot of attention to the market and things like that. The parts you see in my system specs to the left are there for a reason. Not because that was all I could afford, or that was all Best-buy had in stock at the time. I bought it because I researched not only the product in question, but the company that made it as well. You guys running out and buying into these fly-by night companies just because there cheap and in stock at your local Best-buy is not wise. That isn't ignorance that is common sense...

I tell you guys I have never had a part go bad on me in 16+ years. Again you either laugh at me or call me a liar..

6. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    just the fact that you refuse to buy something due to a product/company name, is ridiculous; therefore your opinion is null and void on this subject.

i can name my company **** bag, and it will still pump out better quality products than the competitor whose name is something "cool" like corsair, and you would still buy from them. yes, i say your about 16 years old, and read a book by its cover.

and no, re-do basic (grade 5 as you say) mathematics:
    100 apples and 1 of them is bad = 1% failure rate
    10 apples and 1 of them is bad = 10% failure rate

different rates of failure. corsair and g.skill have comparable failure rates, (1.6 -1.4 respectively). its irrelevant the quantity of ram sold, since its a percentage rate.

7. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Doom, quake same difference...

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    neither, go with Mushkin enhanced :p

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    gskill no doubt.

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh the irony.

In your first example, the failure rate (apples that are bad) is only 1% (1/100), in your second example the failure rate is 10% (1/10).

Dude, you really should quit while you're ahead. And remember the golden rule, better to be silent and be thought an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

EDIT: Seems Raif beat me to it. :cheers:

Hmmm? Something you would like to add?

11. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    I am what you'd consider "around 20-25" and I've been playing computer games for OVER 20 years. ;)

12. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I stopped reading about here, you sound like a 12 year old

My face when I read anything written by this guy
    [​IMG]

13. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    I LOL'd at that. Chillin should have added /sarcasm tag at the end

I do agree with that. That's why I don't buy anything from "major" brands.

Major brand doesn't mean quality. That's why I don't like any of major brands.

14. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    I stopped looking at the product as soon as I read G.skill. See the connection? 12 year old mantality...

If you can't come up with a better namr then that, you won't ever see my $$$!!

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    to the mods...
    can we have a poll called ban maleficarus or not?
    and abide by such poll?
    just a thought
    EDIT NEVERMIND:wanker:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

16. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    It's up to you when you buy things what the most important factors are, but for me in the order of importance they are:

1. Stability (failure rates, etc)
    2. Performance/price ratio
    and somewhere in number 20. Name of the brand

You can't make a logical conclusion of if their name is silly that means their brand is no good because there is no direct correlation of "brand name" with "manufacturing process."

It's like saying "I am not putting Red Hat Linux on that server because their name is funny" but they are one of (if not THE) leading providers of Linux for servers.

With computer memory its about the same story as with videocards. Most people just take memory chips produced by one of few RAM manufacturers and slap a different sticker on it.

Kinda like all these videocard brands do when only nvidia and amd make the things..

17. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Doesnt matter, both are good. Both offer lifetime warranty.

18. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Same here :thumbup:

19. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Make a poll. Interesting to see the results!

20. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    A poll just for him, really? He doesn't deserve a poll. He's just a silly troll, don't feed him just ignore him.