RAM Matched Pair Kit vs Single stick Kits

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Lord Nemesis, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Lord Nemesis

Lord Nemesis Member

GPU:
    Dell 2007WFP, 2 x HD6950
    Guy's, I am in the process of putting together a Sandy Bridge based system around the Asus P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard.

For Memory, I was going to get 2 sets of RipjawsX 8GB Kits each having 2 x 4GB Matched Pair for a total of 16GB of RAM. Unfortunately, every dealer out here in my country is out of stock for the 8GB Kits.

However the 1 x 4GB Single stick kits are still available. Would it be wise to simply get 4 of these for 16GB RAM? Are there going to be any problems running Dual Channel with these or running at the rated speed of 1600MHz?

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    go for the individual sticks. you will be fine

3. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    Same brand, same timings.....you should be fine. I'm currently running 6GB @ 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 ( slot wise) configuration. The 2x1GB sticks are rated at 1333MHz, 9.9.9.24 (Corsair) while the 2 x 2Gb sticks again are corsair but a different model. They are rated at1600MHz but same latency (9.9.9.24) and have scaled down to run with the 1333MHz sticks. No issues.

4. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    As long as the actual specs are correct the "matched pairs" is a lot of gimmick. And unless you plan on overclocking, save the money, and get some kingston valueram instead. I've yet to have issues with kingston memory, and I've been using them since I was 16... (With some off-brand excursions when there was a lot of money to save)

//Svein

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I would heavily go against Kingston ValueRAM ... they are utter **** for overclockers ... I've had so many problems having it installed for overclocking. Even if I don't OC the RAM itself, it somehow bars my system to be overclocked.

240x12.5 = 3000 MHz is how my CPU is set, and since my RAM ratio is 3:5, that means I take my BCLK of 240 * 5 / 3 = 400 MHz ... DDR that and you get 800 MHz, which is the stock speed for my RAM ... and it will be unstable.

With these G.Skill RAM, overclocking was so much easier and I didn't even need to raise my voltage and I can even tighten my timings as well.

So from personal experience, I'd really suggest you look elsewhere for RAM than KVRs. I'd only recommend them for workstations but not gamer rigs.

deltatux

6. Lord Nemesis

Lord Nemesis Member

GPU:
    Dell 2007WFP, 2 x HD6950
    Ok Thanks guy's.

7. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    As I said "unless you plan on overclocking". No conflict there. ;)

//Svein