Microsoft Acquires Nokia's Devices & Services Business

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Guys has any member here used or owns a Lumia 925 or 1020? Of course if any did they would probably already had jumped in by now but anyhow.. :p

I ask because they seem like good/solid offerings. So I would love to see a few constructive comments from fellow members that owns them.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I have Lumia 920, really happy with the device. Can't say the same about Galaxy S I used before it.

3. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    That's good to hear. I have used a Lumia 6xx series if I remember correctly althought can't recall the exact model since its was briefly and a while ago and it seemed good.

The reason for this posts of mine, is because although some/many don't like Windows Phones, they seem like good offerings. Now if they adjust the prices properly they might be even better. I still have some faith in them.

And besides Microsoft wanted their own Phone models/line for a while now. What's better them from building them fromscratch? Buying an already established line(e.g Nokia).
    I'm sure its a move they wanted to make for a while now. And they finally did it.

Now that MS owns them, I hope they can bring even better/cheaper/optimized WP devices since they will be build especially with WP in mind. Time will tell.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    This could really help the Nokia brand, certainly couldn't make things worse.

The refusal to adopt Android hurt them a lot and a bit late to switch now.
    A new direction and MS's marketing budget could be just what they need.

Not that I will buy anything, too invested on Android now.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    By the way, they did not buy Nokia "only" their smartphones and mobile phone part. Nokia kept their patents though MS has ten year license. After about two years Nokia can use Nokia branding for phones again if I remember correctly. There is nothing preventing them from designing phones (though they'd need people for that and use third party manufacturer).

They have buttloads of money now. They could buy Jolla and start developing platform that platform.

6. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Oh, this is good reading: Is Microsoft buying Nokia too cheaply?

And I just came to to read Elop's burning platform memo.. Good story. It would be better if he just said "f**k it am outta here, bitc*es"! lol! :p

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    lol i wasn't even thinking about jolla, well there is a lot of cash in nokia's hq now they could buy jolla back and start again, but i doubt they will

8. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Really wished they continued development of MeeGo. I thought that the N9 was an awesome phone and it was only lacking in the software department.

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well, when the transaction closes, there will no longer be new Nokia phones anymore. Nokia is retaining their own trademark and logo. Microsoft has to brand their Lumia phones as Microsoft devices. I guess they'll create the Microsoft Lumia 1120?

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4688888/there-will-never-be-another-nokia-smartphone

Also, there's word that the purchase was really a shotgun marriage since Nokia and Microsoft only started talking about acquisition during Mobile World Congress back in February.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4691308/nokia-microsoft-deal-race-potential-blackberry-interest

Lastly, with the sale of the devices and services division, Nokia is now free to capitalize on the patents they have since Microsoft didn't buy any of the patents associated with the Nokia devices and services division but only merely licensed it from the Finnish company. They now have a raised interest in "licensing" their patent portfolio regardless if it's in a friendly manner or in the courts.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ttacks-may-continue-after-microsoft-purchase/

deltatux

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    This is a believable reason for Ballmer's abrupt decision to leave. Dollars to donuts this deal would not have come to fruition if he stayed on.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Possibly even before, the key word in my sentence was 'commonly'.

12. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Same here ;D NOKIA sucked as much as Microsoft did these days. I can't even imagine, what huge Turd it will come out ;D

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Why build phones for an OS that has higher requirements to the hardware and a pretty cluttered interface?

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Not sure what you mean by a 'cluttered interface'?

Why, because Android phones are the biggest and best selling. It might have bought an upturn in Nokia's profits. instead they kept with the vastly outdated Symbian OS.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    So they could make some money.

I can't remember the last time I saw someone with a Nokia phone, and the one time I saw someone with a Windows phone it ended up being HTC.

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I remember Nokia opened up a brand new store in the heart of Manchester. Every time I went passed I didn't see a single person in the store. 6 weeks later it closed.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yep, I imagine it's a similar story in many other places.

It's a shame as nearly everyone used to be big Nokia fans and the 3210/3310 were fantastic, as was the N80/95.

Nokia's software stubbornness mixed with Apple and Samsung's marketing budget just made them last choice for many.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Stubborn is correct.

Nokia were number one for years and just believed they could keep offering the same 50 billion phone models per year and not be affected by smartphones and dumbphones.

People bitch about iPhones being upgraded every year, or refreshed, but Nokia would release a ridiculous amount of phone models every year, nullifying and reducing the perceived value of ownership.

And that store in Manchester? That was their attempt to replicate the apple store, as they believed this is why apple is successful.

Too little too late, and painfully stubborn.

19. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Nokia wanted to be different. Too stubborn as other said to change. And tbh when Nokia went with WP, I could easily see them succeed.

I mean they made some beautiful devices running WP. I really thought they would do well with WP devices.

But it seems people got too much accustomed to Android and iOS devices. It seems they indeed were, too late in the game.