Will ssd's ever go the hell down in price

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TonyR, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Akhkaru

Akhkaru Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB WF
    My Steam folder itself is 160GB, not including SW:TOR, BF3, Crysis, etc. It's a good thing to have options when boredom sets in. :D

2. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Prices are coming down, just not as fast a people want them too.

My Samsung P128 when I bought it new about 2 years ago cost me £249.99 (approx) now for that price you can get 256GB SSD's using SATA3 and pretty much double the performance, if not a bit more. Not to mention double the storage capacity as my P128 is 128GB drive.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Lol, yeah. Your right with regards to games not touched in a while, some haven't been touched for several months...

However, I have 3 games which come to around 50gb in size, one of them being GTA IV which is just over 22Gb with texture mods...

Every now and then I'll go back to games I've not played in a while.

I'd say there's only around 3-5 games I regularly play. The rest in the blue moon. :D

5. Lukc

Lukc Guest

GPU:
    MSI gtx970
    so just put games that you don't play often to your storage HDD.. everything will be the same except loading times will be longer than on SSD.. and you really benefit from those only in MMo games... in singleplayer you only benefit from those few seconds you spare while game/room/chapter/.. is loading.. so on average i would say in 1h gaming you will spend like 1min less waiting for games/.. to load :D

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah, boot up time is far quicker on an SSD compared to a normal HD.

Like yourself, I will eventually upgrade to an SSD, only when prices are more affordable. I wouldn't play more than £300 for a hard drive. If you think about it you can get a brand new laptop for slightly more. It's not worth it and becides faster boot up times and slightly quicker opening/closing of programs it hardly benefits you in gaming and will not give you any more fps.

I highly doubt I can get a 256 or 300gb ssd for £300.

7. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    They roughly half in price every 18-24 month, as process get's smaller becomes cheaper to offer larger density at same price point etc hence why it's often 18-24 month

8. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Totally agree with this. Wish I'd got my WD 500Gb when it was £27 :(

9. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    No need for a price drop as far as company's are concerned, SSD's are selling like hot cakes at the prices they are at right now and with mech HD's still sky high SSD's look even more tasty.

I've been using SSD's has my main game/os hd for a few years now and could never go back to a mech.

10. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Depends on the game but some do texture streaming from install drive, so if your using slower HDD over say SSD they can be a difference during gaming in those specific games :)

11. Lukc

Lukc Guest

GPU:
    MSI gtx970
    well, i just saw in one local shop crucial m4 256gb for 306 eur.
    also, 128gb version was 149eur

but yeah, now this is kinda old ssd, but reliable and you probably wouldnt notice speed difference between this and new drives..

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Not too bad, around £600 for a 500gb ssd. When the price drops to around £400 I will then consider buying one!

That said, they are considerably cheaper than what they used to cost.

The prices continue to drop and once I find a good offer on a 300 or 500gb ssd I will go for it.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The chips aren't expensive to produce, first and foremost companies want their development costs covered, hence why they are expensive to start with and drop in price afterwards.
    I guess that fast 500GB SATA3 SSD's will hit £300 before 2013, since there will come bigger drives, OCZ 2½" 1TB SSD's are already sold for around £1300, still to expensive for the masses thou.

In the meantime you can use some ram caching for your existing disks either by using hardlinks and junctions or something like FancyCache.
    Helps on game loading times and slightly on fps with large texture packages.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  15. 200+club

200+club Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx580 cl-ul 3072
    there are always going to be high end models of a specific technology. you dont need the fastest ssd for home use. how fast do you really need a game to load?

i got 120x2 of ssd goodness for a little over 200.00 and boot up in 12sec and load bf3 maps pretty damn fast.

throw in a decent sized platter driver for storage and unless you are a pirate and have ocd that makes you want to have 150 games installed at one time even if you dont play them all at once then you will be golden.

these 1500.00 usd ssd's are for retards with more money than brains. i would rather ad more go fast parts to my busa than have the fastest ssd in the world.

16. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    SSD's broke the $1/GB barrier quite a few months ago (in Canada anyways). I paid $190 for my Vertex2 120GB ssd a little over a year ago, and now you can buy a 120GB sata3 drive that is twice as fast for about $50 less!

I think they're coming down, but I must admit, I too would like to start seeing 500+GB ssd's for a LOT cheaper than they are right now, hehe!