Enable PCI-E 3.0 On X79 Boost Massive Frames

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Penal Stingray, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Warboy

Warboy Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 2080 Ti
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-3960x-3930k_4.html

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    From Geforce.com:

GeForce GTX 680 and GTX 670 GPUs support PCI Express 3.0. They operate properly within the SIG PCI Express Specification and have been validated on multiple PCI Express 3.0 platforms. Some motherboard manufacturers have released an updated SBIOS to enable the Intel X79/SNB-E PCI Express 2.0 platform to run at up to 8GT/s bus speeds. We have tested GeForce GTX 680 and GTX 670 GPUs across a number of X79/SNB-E platforms at 8GT/s bus speeds, but have seen significant variation in signal timing across different motherboards and CPUs. Therefore we’ve decided to only support and guarantee PCI Express 2.0 bus speeds on X79/SNB-E with our standard release drivers.

3. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    The Old Sandy Bridge E CPU Revision C1 doesn't implement PCI-E 3.0 well it has something to do with the timing Now Intel Released the new i7 3930k Revision C2 this revision Fixes The PCI-E 3.0 Problems. as you can see on this screenshots GPU-Z tells me 3.0 is enabled as well as Nvidia system information "GEN 3". I have ran benches 3d Mark 11, Unigen, Games without single crash or weird stuff going on it runs flawlessly.

[​IMG]

EDIT: If you guy's have i7 3930k Revision C1 don't even bother enabling this in your system you will encounter crashes, weird slowdowns, and even texture glitches or corruption as well as the infamous "TDR"

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  4. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Will I? I have revision C1 and I've had no problems whatsoever.
    Been using PCI-E 3.0 for almost a year now.

5. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    did you gain any points running on 3dmark 11? or any fps at all on games? cuz the revision c2 handles pci-e 3.0 better than c1 it has bug fixes and all. if it works good then no reason to disable it :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I have no idea! I've just been running it for the sake of running it haha.
    As far as I can tell (googling), the only difference in C1 and C2 is C2 has a fix for something called "VT-D".

7. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    My C1 stepping would TDR my nvidia drivers when i enable it, i know couple people have the same problem, also i would get sudden drops of frames on games its like slowing down then back to normal again until i upgraded to c2 all that went away, hey u gotta a lucky cpu if u have no problems at all.

8. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Also running PCIE 3.0 but didn't see any gains as such in either 1920x1200 nor 2560x1440. So the big difference is only in high-res environments.
    [​IMG]

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    ... and theoretically in SLI rigs

10. Axaion

Axaion Active Member

GPU:
    MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Actually, just when you are running stupid stuff like x16/x4/x4/x4, top end cards MIGHT be slightly limited by x8 pci-e 2.0

huehuehue tinfoil

11. eduncan911

eduncan911 Guest

GPU:
    2x Titans w/Skyn3t BIOS
    I wanted to revive this old thread on the cusp of the new Ivy Bridge-E just around the corner. I wanted to state the problems I had with the PCIe 3.0 hack with my X79 setup.

Mobo: ASrock X79 Fatal1ty Professional
    CPU: Intel 3930k C1, and later upgraded to C2 stepping (Intel free replacement)
    Mem: Mushkin 2133 16GB
    GPUs: 3x EVGA GTX 670 SC+
    Monitors: Tri-1080p monitors for 6000x1080 resolution

With this setup, when I enabled PCIe 3.0 using the nvidia hack my system would slow to a crawl and freeze. Windows 7 and Windows 8 were both rendered useless when PCIe 3.0 was enabled - as in would not boot again, not even in safe mode.

After dozens of formats, trial-n-error, C1 to C2 replacement, swapping GPU slots, RMA'd two GPUs, etc (Windows 7, Windows 8, etc) I have come to the conclusion that the PCIe 3.0 hack only works with 2-way SLI on this particular motherboard. With 3 GPUs, the entire system was rendered useless. There was a reason why Nvidia would not certify Sandy Bridge-E mobos as PCIe 3.0 using their drivers, something around certain motherboards showed higher-than-expected delays in the PCIe lanes and/or PCH. I always looked for details around that, to see what mobos were on the list, but never found it.

3-way PCIe 2.0 works fine, but that's not what we want at this high resolution obviously.

2-way PCIe 3.0 works fine, but I loose that 3rd card. Had my thinking about upgrading to two Titans or two GTX 780s if a divorce was ok with the misses (it wasn't).

Now that the 4930k is just around the corner, I am on the fence about ordering just that chip and trying out PCIe 3.0, or finally break down and go Asus motherboard.

To be clear, it's not the "ooh aahh" speed of the 4930k I am after - that has been tested on [h]ardforum that the 4930k is just a fraction faster than the 3930k so there isn't a need to upgrade for performance. No, instead I wanted to upgrade to get true PCIe 3.0. Selling the 3930k for ~$450, and it's just a little step to get it. But I am not sure about this motherboard!

Why the ASrock X79 Professional? It's 16 VRMs let me hum along at 4.6 Ghz with full intel speed stepping in place. Just point-n-click Auto settings for overclocking. 4.8 works as well, but starts to disable some of the power savings (5.0 Ghz worked as well, but ran way too hot with my H80 setup).

So, gamble and go with the 4930k and hope PCIe 3.0 works on this mobo? Or, keep the 3930k and go with the Asus RIVE like the OP had (that's a lot of dough though).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    ^^

It's strange that you have so many issues running PCI-E 3.0. I have an Asrock Extreme6 x79 motherboard, and I run PCI-E 3.0 on both of my GTX 770s, plus my GTX 650 Ti PhysX card.

I'm sure you already tried this, but did you update the BIOS on your motherboard?

13. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Asus rampage 4 formula i7 3820 pcie 3.0. I must first hack someting in the register with older drivers but now woks the pcie gen 3 programma after i set someting in the register.

1 have 2 gtx780 sli on 2560x1080 with no boost from pcie 3.0 vs 2.0 cause i run on full 16x with 3.0. If i run on pcie 4x i think i have some performance incrase with pcie 3.0

14. eduncan911

eduncan911 Guest

GPU:
    2x Titans w/Skyn3t BIOS
    Oh, I can run 2-way SLI on the GTX 670s with a 2-way bridge, and have the 3rd GTX 670 just sitting there, as a PhysX GPU or something just fine. It's when in 3-way SLI that it kills the boot process.

I forgot to mention the registry hacks I tried as well - to even revert back to PCIe 2.0 to get it to boot without success (the Nvidia hack just modifies the registry).

Oh yes. Even 1.x and 2.x versions. I was hoping the 2.x series would bring new light - nope, just a bunch of UEFI crap that I don't use. (UEFI-formatted-in-Windows-8 SSDs using NTFS are not compatible in other machines if you remove them - which kills my entire Virtual-Machines-on-an-External-SSD-Hotswap setup that I have between my hotswap laptop and this desktop).

I think I've decided to try out the Ivy Bridge-E CPU from a friend's build I am doing now. That gives me a "free" test to see if the mobo will support it or not.

15. gunslinger

gunslinger Master Guru

GPU:
    1 EVGA GTX titan 6gig SC
    it doesn't officially support it but you can enable it through the reg or with the provided down load link. :banana:

16. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    well i have an i7 3820 and Asus Rampage IV formula bf3 edition and pci-e 3.0 has worked since the day i bought it, i dont know about the new rampage VI but mine only uses 3.0 on slots 1 and 3 which is kinda dumb because sllots 1 and 2 are x16 and slot 3 is x8 according to the manual

17. eduncan911

eduncan911 Guest

GPU:
    2x Titans w/Skyn3t BIOS
    PCIe 3.0 bandwidth = 2x PCIe 2.0 = 4x PCIe 1.0 bandwidth

Every "version" they double it. It's in the original PCIe 1.0 specifications for upgrades.

Therefore, PCIe 3.0 @ x8 = PCIe 2.0 @ x16.

You shouldn't be complaining. :) That's plenty of bandwidth for PCIe 3.0 @ x8 to move 6000x1080 resolution surround gaming. It's the chumps like me who are stuck at PCIe 2.0 @ x8 that suffer because the mobo doesn't support it.

So far everyone that has chimed in only have Asus boards. Sure, Asus owns Asrock, but I really don't think they support it. I'll let you know in a few weeks.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  18. DoomTrooper

DoomTrooper Member

GPU:
    3 x EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX
    Works fine on my Rampage IV Formula together with the 3820 so I'm happy.

Not that I noticed any kind of massive performance increase or anything, but since it's there and it works, I figured I'd use it :)

19. eduncan911

eduncan911 Guest

GPU:
    2x Titans w/Skyn3t BIOS
    Thanks man!

20. Zurv

Zurv Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan (Quad SLI)
    Anyone get this working with 326.80?

it isn't working for me, but i'm not sure it is these new drivers or something connected to using titled 4k display (and the wacky work around NVidia did for this)