After 13.4 driver issues | Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by SmilingLunatic, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    I'm going to go with, They didn't test the new drivers on the Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series... at all. Because we can't even get to the login screen.

2. sirDaniel

sirDaniel Guest

GPU:
    940MX
    Well, im sure they tested mobility drivers on 5xx series. These drivers work for GPU... Problem is in code responsible for built-in monitor backlight. I cant find what is responsible for backlights in windows, is it graphic driver or asus files.. As said, i updated ATK Asus package and its same black screen as with previous package version. Also maybe amd drivers give WIn7 a signal that laptop screen is closed that it turns off backlight? I regret i didnt check a power plan settings for completely turning off an option that cut a power to screen after some period of time. Maybe it possible to walk around bad written code?
    I just hope they will resolve problem in future.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  3. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    Installed the new 13.10 beta 2 driver, and even that doesn't fix the backlight issue... wtfboom.gif?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    I personally have no backlight issue on my laptop (see specs).
    Tested 13.9 betas, 13.9 WHQL, and 13.10 betas; all under a clean installation.

I'm guessing the problem is from ASUS' end.
    Maybe their system drivers that's responsible for controlling the backlight doesn't play well with newer Catalysts?

5. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    How would it be on ASUS's end, when previous drivers have worked before? It would be on AMD's end. Something they tried to fix backfired for asus laptops is what it looks like. I've reported it again, hoping they get the message. I'll report it five times if I have to. Even 13.9 isn't working still, and that's supposed to be the stable driver. o_O

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What, you can't consider the possibility of ASUS drivers for controlling the backlight doesn't exactly have a good piece of coding so that it breaks on newer Catalyst versions?

Believe me, I personally would very much like to slag off AMD as often as I could regarding Mobility support, but in your case (backlight controls) both parties are involved, ASUS and AMD.
    In my case, and some other HD5650m (Sony VAIO) users, AMD have b0rked EVR and Flash video hardware acceleration ever since 11.11c.

If you're currently on the GPU generation that AMD consider borderline legacy like HD 5xxx, don't expect prompt driver support like bugfixes, much less on Mobility.
    Especially if the problem happens only on select models from one specific notebook manufacturer.

7. Jeggu

Jeggu Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RTX 4090
    My friend just ran into this same problem after I advised him to update his drivers (whoops!) Now after he reinstalls the 13.4 (in safe mode after uninstall-->reboot-->driverfusion) bf3 refuses to start with a directx error message.

BF3 worked perfectly before the whole update/downgrade progress. What to do?

8. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hold on...mind to repeat the steps he took?
    Does that mean he reinstalled 13.4 in Safe Mode?

Well, in any case, the proper steps should be to express uninstall via Control Panel --> reboot to Safe Mode --> run Driver Fusion, then Driver Sweeper --> reboot --> install 13.4.

If you're wondering why I recommend running Driver Sweeper after Driver Fusion, it's because Driver Sweeper is still able to delete the registry entries Driver Fusion claims unable to delete (unless you buy the Pro version, of course).
    The latest Driver Sweeper version before it changed name to Driver Fusion was 3.2.0.
    I think Hilbert still have it uploaded on Guru3D's downloads section, but if it's no longer there, I can just upload 3.2.0 installer to MediaFire or something if you want to.

Normally I'd suggest using Atiman Uninstaller, but try the above steps first.

9. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    I don't want to sound like a broken record or anything of that sort but I recommend Display Driver Uninstaller for your Cleaning Solution as ATiman
    and Driver Sweeper\Driver Fusion is simply not enough to perform a complete Cleanup of the actual drivers. DDU is currently the fastest and also the most capable cleaner when it comes to Cleaning up drivers and in it's most recent updates package cleaning is essentially complete.

10. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DF/DS I can understand, but Atiman?
    If you have a way to compare Atiman's with DDU's cleaning result I'll be interested to check that when I have the time.

11. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Try Opening Device Manager then select view and choose show hidden device in the drop down menu. Next go to monitor to see how many hidden monitors your computer has. After doing so run Atiman then check for hidden monitors.
    If exist run Display Driver Uninstaller then check for Hidden Monitor.

12. Jeggu

Jeggu Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RTX 4090
    Well a system restore fixed the whole mess so maybe it's best to just wait for a working driver. I really hope they'll fix this in 13.10 BETA 3. I hope you have reported the issue aswell.

13. anotherAMDuser

anotherAMDuser Guest

GPU:
    Ati Mobility Radeon 5470
    AMD Catalystâ„¢ 13.10 LINUX Beta Driver, Last Updated 9/30/2013

Resolved Issues:
    [...]
    [383075] Laptop backlight adjustment is broken
    [...]

Well, I'll try it today. Let see what happens...

EDIT: Nope, same issue...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  14. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    @Jeggu: A system restore worked for me the first couple of times. The next times it happened, I just connected a 2nd monitor to my laptop and did a clean re-install of the old 13.4 driver.

I hope they will fix the issue too. I'd really like to have one of the newer drivers on my laptop, for sure.

@k1net1cs: I'm saying it's unlikely. However, ASUS should update their drivers if there are problems with some of their laptops and other major new drivers. I actually looked on the site for my laptop and it has this ATI driver from like 2009... Wow. Anyways, maybe if they did, then the AMD drivers would work better.

15. heuri

heuri Guest

GPU:
    HD5730
    Same problem on Asus N61JA - HD 5730 with Catalyst 13.9 and 13.10 Beta. Could rollback with system restore. Hope the guys will fix it soon.

16. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Hmm you could try Leshcats 13.9 PT2 drivers. I have seen one user with a 5730M on a Lenovo Y560 for whom it worked.

17. Tony_V

Tony_V Guest

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD5730
    "If you experience difficulty while using the generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers, we recommend reverting to the driver provided by your notebook vendor. Please contact your notebook vendor for their most recent graphics drivers."

2009 vendor driver it is then :banana:

18. sirDaniel

sirDaniel Guest

GPU:
    940MX
    Do not even try 13.11 betav1, same issues. Looks like k1netics had right, 5xxx series has no active support, just recompilation for new version drivers package. I also hope for this particular fix anyway.

19. Jeggu

Jeggu Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RTX 4090
    So has anyone tried this yet? I'd do it myself but my friend is out of town so I won't be able to access his computer in the next few days.

20. sirDaniel

sirDaniel Guest

GPU:
    940MX
    If your friend had Asus i would have try already. Hmm.. maybe tommorow?
    Aren't Leshcat drivers same version as in official 13.9 package? If so, wonder what other files he changed that backlight works.

I ve sent report btw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.