After 13.4 driver issues | Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by SmilingLunatic, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    For the life of me I can't figure out why the recent driver & the beta drivers aren't working with my laptop.

Laptop Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - 64-bit
    Intel i5 CPU
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 1GB
    4GB RAM

The last driver that worked for my laptop was the 13.4 driver. None of the betas since after the 13.4 driver released have been working, and I've been doing clean uninstalls of old drivers, and clean installs of new ones. I can install fine. It doesn't show any errors.

My laptop will boot properly, but only safe mode and safe mode (with networking) shows the screen. With a regular boot, the screen will just go blank as soon as it goes to the login screen.

How can I fix this? I try going to CCC in safe mode, but it says it didn't install properly, but the install showed no errors. This has happened for me with the AMD 13.6 - 13.10 beta drivers.

UPDATE: Using my phone's "Assistive Light" widget, I was able to see my screen, but turning the backlight up and down does nothing.

UPDATE #2: 14.3 beta v1.0 driver still does NOT fix this issue.

Note: If you need to install 13.4 driver, it is still available on the main guru3d website. http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_4_whql_download.html

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    If you're experiencing black screen on a reboot after uninstalling, go to Safe Mode.
    Open up Device Manager (the fastest way is to run 'devmgmt.msc'), then look for 'Display adapters'.
    Uninstall the Standard VGA there, then click the 'Scan for hardware changes' button.
    This should make Windows install the standard VGA driver again, and you should be able to boot normally without the black screen.

As for why Beta drivers weren't installing for you I have no idea.
    I've tried all 13.9 betas and 13.10 beta; installed just fine on my 5650m.
    What did you use to clean your system after the driver uninstallation?

3. sirDaniel

sirDaniel Guest

GPU:
    940MX
    I have same laptop specs: Win7 SP1, Corei3, mobility HD 5470 And i have same problem. I didnt touch nothing after 13.4, only 13.9 now. After booting, few HDD spins and Windows logo, laptop screen goes pure black.
    Temporary solution that worked for me: Plug in an external Monitor to laptop, then all will be watchable like on lap screen (i used spare VGA CRT, dont know if hdmi works). Looks like DirectX libraries works. Then I saw CCC didnt initialized. I had to install maually MOM-InstallProxy-Net4 and then Core-Static-Net4 from AMD drivers package. Then initialize CCC and all will be fine, with Opengl too. All this on Ext Monitor. Suprisingly, ccc starting is fast with net4 and there are no black artifacts/recrangular stains on ccc options that happened in many previous versions. CCC recognize built-in Screen but cant drive it. This is the case. Laptop screen is completely OFF, while system can boots. I run win7 with No-GUI option too, nothing special, there is no hang on any driver, last driver that loads is Classpnp.sys but thats no relevance i suppose.

What would be the case that mobility 13.9 drivers turn off Build-in Laptop Screen? Backto 13.4 and is normal..

4. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    @k1net1cs: I uninstall the 13.4 driver with no issues, no black screen all after rebooting. Now, when I INSTALL the beta driver OR the most recent 13.9 driver that just released, I restart the laptop and THEN the black screen issue occurs. It shows the windows logo, but goes immediately black right after. No login screen.

Edit: I clean the temp folder and use CCleaner, by the way.

@sirDaniel: I have no idea what "MOM-InstallProxy-Net4" and "Core-Static-Net4" are actually. I'm guessing by the end of your post, you just went back to 13.4. I just booted to safe mode, did a system restore, and reinstalled the 13.4 driver and it works. I think it's weird too, that something is making the main laptop screen turn off. And when I boot into safe mode, right click, click on CCC, it actually says something like it may not have installed properly. I've never had this happen before.

So, none of the beta drivers or the recent 13.9 driver are working still. I just tried again after my first post.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

5. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    Did anyone ever figure out why the screen might be going black or what?

6. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Well I recently updated the 12.11 Modded Legacy Driver to HotFix 10 P6 V9. This update is base off quite a few drivers as all updates are. Anyways the update attempts to resolve the Black Screen after installation and also Brightness Control bug.

Other Thoughts
    Using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to Clean Drivers before installing any Display Driver is recommended.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    That's not enough for a real clean uninstallation.
    You have to either use Driver Fusion, Atiman Uninstaller, or DDU after uninstalling normally via Control Panel.

And it's also best practice to always boot to Safe Mode after uninstallation and do the black screen fixing steps I mentioned, even when you haven't got to the black screen yet.

8. sirDaniel

sirDaniel Guest

GPU:
    940MX
    I used DDU uninstaller and Driver fusion, manually removed ati/amd entries from registry. I was manually unsinstalling drivers in safe mode in Device manager which was a pain, because there were many versions of drivers in driverstore and win7 automaticaly was bringing them back. But anyway i reached finally vga driver. As a last step i installed manually driver in Device manager by choosing folder with 13.9 (no CCC) and still black screen. What i noticed it is not actually a black screen, my laptop functions normally, i see a screen on liquid crystals, just there is No Backlight. I cant understand this. I never had problems like that i updated everytime AMD driver.

SmilingLunatic whats your laptop brand and model?

9. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    Question. I uninstall the driver, then do I use driver fusion or restart the pc first?

No backlight could be it. I did notice some gray stuff moving around the screen when I had an external monitor connected, and was looking between screens to see if it would turn back on. Is there a way to turn backlight up in windows 7 on a laptop? I have the Asus K72JR-XN1.

10. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    I WAS RIGHT! I just uninstalled using control panel, ccleaner, and then driver fusion. Reinstalled 13.9 driver, booted up. Still didn't show the screen, so I used an external monitor. When I go to this forum, I can see a little bit of the white and the blue bars on my main monitor. I'm guessing that means it's a backlight issue.

So basically I found the golden ticket, I just have no idea how to claim it... [​IMG]

11. Shpati

Shpati Member

GPU:
    ATI 5730 HD
    Hi SmilingLunatic,

I'm glad I came across this thread, because I am having the same issue. And the good news is that it sounds like it is a problem with ATI and not our hardware.

I have an ASUS N61JQ laptop with an ATI 5730 HD 1GB graphics card.

Just like you, my backlight will turn off right after startup. I can still see the picture, but I had to be really close with the proper room lighting. So I saw that there was being a display outputted but with no backlight.

I tried safe mode (it gave me backlight). But I didn't know what to do in there to fix it.

Luckily, I had a restore point a couple of days before which I used, which reverted me back to the driver I had before. And the backlight started working again.

i really do not think there is anything you can do to fix this other than hoping ATI does a new release that tackles this problem or just stick with the 13.4 driver.

By the way, can I ask if your logical board or GPU was repaired via warranty or if any repairs were performed to your laptop?

Also, you are positive the installation said the driver update was successful?? Because mine gave me the "installation has failed" message. My backlight actually first fails during the update installation of 13.9. But I could still see the error message using my phone flashlight, lol. It was the red error message.

And yours is installing with no pop up messages and errors?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  12. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    Safe mode works for me too. Full backlight.

Using system restore, or connecting external monitor and uninstalling the driver have both worked in removing the new drivers.

Unfortunately, it's all the betas that do this too. Something must've went very wrong after they released the 13.4 driver...

No repairs. I did send it back once though, because of an issue with the display... but that's when I first got it years ago and haven't had display issues until just recently when I tried the beta drivers and the new 13.9 driver. To clarify, 13.10 is doing this as well.

Installed successfully with no errors except the backlight error, yes. But that's after I reboot the laptop after installing the new driver.

13. sirDaniel

sirDaniel Guest

GPU:
    940MX
    I see a pattern here. I also have Asus laptop. Its a K52JE, the series of machines that suffrered for freezing. I send for repair too, just to get soldered wire to somewhere on the pcb. I droped all freezes after insalling newer ATK package. It contains ACPI drivers. Yesterday i installed newest version of this package but didnt help for backlight loss. Amd screwed something for asus owners. Release notes do not contain Asus notebooks as not compatible platform though.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  14. Shpati

Shpati Member

GPU:
    ATI 5730 HD
    It looks like my issue is slightly different then yours.

My backlight actually goes off during the installation and I see a red error message saying the installation was not successful (or installation has failed).

I'm trying to see if this issue is hardware related or just an issue on ATI/AMD's part. I can live with a ATI software issue as those can be fixed by developers in time.

But I am concerned it is a hardware issue.

I just got my laptop back from warranty. They said they repaired the logical board. I noticed that my logical board is pretty much the same when I look at it and with the specs CPU Z gives me. But I noticed that after the warranty some letters/codes/numbers are different on the mainboard's small chips and capacitors.

After the warranty, I can no longer detect my GPU's load unless I switch to power saving mode and back to high performance mode. So I think this may be linked to the driver update backlight issue.

I went on the ATI forums, and they said to use the drivers here:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx

And not to use the auto detect thing. Just find the appropriate driver there to use.

I'm going to try that later tonight.

If anyone has some advice or help, please let me know. It will be extremely appreciated.

15. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    @sirDaniel: It would appear so. [​IMG] Definitely switching to nvidia... why does AMD torture us!?

@Shpati: I'm actually downloading from both amd and the guru3d website, off and on. I only download from guru3d when I'm testing an old beta driver or if the amd site no longer has it though.

16. Shpati

Shpati Member

GPU:
    ATI 5730 HD
    I reinstalled 13.4 just to see what happened, the backlight turned off during installation, but it worked again after a restart.

I tried to install 13.10 better. The backlight turned off during installation. The backlight was on during startup screen, but went off once it got to the blue welcome screen.

17. anotherAMDuser

anotherAMDuser Guest

GPU:
    Ati Mobility Radeon 5470
    Hello, I subscribed to this forum just to follow this discussion.
    I have an ASUS K52JE too, with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. Since the catalyst 13.6 beta I experience this same issue, the monitor backlight is turned off but everything works fine (Windows boots up and responds to keyboard and mouse input). But, of course, without the backlight the system is unusable.
    The last working drivers are the catalyst 13.4, as reported before.

I want to bring to your attention that this issue is affecting also Linux systems. I'm using Debian GNU/Linux Testing and the issue is the same, I have to use the catalyst 13.4 or the free/open source radeon driver.
    Saying so, there's something wrong in the latest drivers that causes troubles with HD 5470 (and maybe all the HD 5000 serie?) in different OSs.

I suggest you all to report this issue through the AMD Issue Reporting Form, this is the only chance to get the attention of the developers on this issue.

And please don't even try to complain on the AMD official forum, the answers would be always the same: use the (old, customized and low performance) driver provided by the laptop manufacturer.

18. Shpati

Shpati Member

GPU:
    ATI 5730 HD
    My screen goes black during installation after reinstalling 13.4. But it works after a restart just fine. You think that is an issue??

anotherAMDuser, most just tell me the same thing.

I met one guy on that forum say he got 13.9 to work on a 5730.

I met someone else with my exact laptop on another forum say the 13.9 driver gives him the exact issue.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  19. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    @anotherAMDuser: Nice choice in laptop. :) I did submit a report to AMD with their form, yes. I get the feeling it won't be addressed until the second next beta though... *sigh*

@Shpati: For your post after mine, yes basically the same thing is happening for you then. For your latest post, did you use driver fusion to uninstall properly? Delete the amd folders, and do a complete reinstall of the drivers to reinstall the 13.4 driver. Reinstalling 13.4 gives me my display back.

20. YAAMDU

YAAMDU Guest

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 5730
    Hi, I am yet another user that has registered just to reply to this thread.

I own a N61jq Laptop with a Mobility HD 5730 and I am experiencing the same black screen of death issues with any ATI driver that came after 13.4

It certainly isn't an installation issue. I tried several times with drivers 13.6 beta, 13.10 beta and 13.9. I also took all the recommended/necessary steps, hunting AMD/ATI/Catalyst leftovers like a ***** Spanish inquisitor, using driver sweeper and assorted driver cleaners, registry cleaners (also manually deleted some) and even deleting the GPU itself from the Device Manager panel. Always the same result, a black screen on boot

Of course when all of those installations failed, I managed to reinstall the 13.4 driver without any problems and without having to take most of the extreme measures I tried with all the other drivers

I also submitted a report to Ati a week ago but I have yet to hear back from them.

The funny thing is that the official Ati page for my GPU (and yours) says that 13.9 is the latest driver for it. Either our GPUs have been left behind and they mistakenly have included them as compatible or they just didn't test the new drivers with our specific models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.