Intel Sandy Bridge Chip Flaw Hits

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Octavean, Jan 31, 2011.

1. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    Now that I know about this I dont' think I could enjoy my new gear anymore whether it affects it or not...

2. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/intel-finds-sandy-bridge-chipset-design-flaw-shipments-stopped/

I checked my Microcenter reciept and the date was 1-11-2011 With 30 days to return. However, I could live with just sending back the board to ASUS via an official recall. Maybe I should think on it for a while. I'v got ~10 days. I wonder if Microcenter will wave the restocking fee. Maybe I'll call them.

3. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    Who says there's gonna be a recall? It's going to be handled quietly I'm guessing...

4. Moshing

Moshing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 BOE@900core
    There IS a work around! The flaw ONLY manifests in the 3Gbs SATA ports. ESATA and 6Gbs ports are unaffected. Moving all devices to 6Gbs ports avoids the issue all together.

They're not getting my board back. I love it, and I don't need the 3Gbs ports anyway.

5. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    I still have to think about it.

I bought my hardware as part of a bundle deal from Microcenter:

Intel Core i5 2500k = $179.99
    ASUS P8P67 Pro = $159.99

That was a great deal with about ~$30 savings on the motherboard and more on the the CPU. I also have no problems with the system, it's great. I have three SSD units on the Intel SATA 3G ports thoughn in RAID 0 hitting ~739.4 MB/sec max ~719.0 MB/sec ave.

I was thinking of adding another and making it a 4x64GB 256GB SSD RAID 0 array which might hit ~1000 MB/sec.

6. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    To be fair, most boards only have 2 SATA III ports. But yeah, current owners don't need to jump of a bridge. ESATA works. SATA III works. And its only a small percentage which will actually see the issue manifest (Intel itself predicts 5%).

If you brought P67, I'd wait and see if performance declines over time when using SATA II. Motherboards have 3 year warentees for this exact reason.

In terms of impact: I rate this slightly above FDIV, if only because this issue will actually affect some segment of users out their [RAID comes to mind]. But for those of us using only 2 HDD's and an optical drive, this issue is invisible to us.

Although, wouldn't have been great if AMD had a platform out to counter this with? Boy, imagine if Bulldozer were slated to release in early February...

7. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    Well, the first batch is almost always a rough one.

8. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    This isn't about a rough batch, this is about a major chipset flaw and I just came back from my local retailer (only the second biggest in Canada ;)) and they pulled all the new Intel chipsets off the shelves so you can't even buy one as we speak. Anyway I returned all my stuff back and now I'm waitng...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  9. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
  10. RSX

RSX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6970
    Curse you Intel! That is what I get for being an early adopter huh? Man this just blows, just when I thought I have everything setup and be done with. I don't even know the whole RMA process for god sake. I will try to call Newegg see what's up but this piss me off to another dimension.

11. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Doesn't ASRock P67 boards only come with a 1 yr warranty,....?

***edit***

I feel sorry for those people who disassembled their old system and sold off the parts to help pay off their SAndy Bridge build.

I'm glad I still have my Core i7 920, Core i7 860 and Core 2 Quad Q6600 systems.

Maybe I'll wait for Sandy Bridge-E LGA2011 if I return my Core i5 2500k /ASUS P8P67 Pro.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  12. Brandon_34

Brandon_34 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    wow all sandy chips gone at newegg.com deactivated item.

13. eduardmc

eduardmc Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
    i have my sandy bridge and asus motherboard. Not worry about this problem. in a month you can get your new recall mobo but if it doesn't give me any problems i'll probably order my replacement when is time to sell my stuff. Since it would be a new replacement i can get more when i resale it. i'm not even using those 3gb sata port, only 1 for my dvd drives. The other 4 6gb sata ports are not affected.

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Was about to post this link myself... big failure but the ones who got it will probably get the replacements anyway, BUT it's still a pain in the ass to rebuild etc.

15. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    well i think i will just go ahead with my order...the asus pro has 4 sata 6 connectors so ill just stick my dvd drive to the sata 3.

16. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670
    We had to remove all notebooks,desktops mainboards of our shop floor this morning.
    This is going to hurt our sales as all new release notebooks will have to be sent back and we have been desperately waiting for stock since Christmas.
    Cant sell a product that MIGHT fail under certain conditions.
    My Personal order arrived on friday as well a gigabyte UD7 mainboard and a i7 2600.guess ill wait some

Read That Intel stock dropped 1.8 percent today and AMD went up 5 percent.

Quality control aint what it used to be.
    i sold a customer a half built HP printer the other day

17. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    just buy a sata controller...they are like 20 bucks lol......the rma process/downtime is not worth it....

this is mostly going to screw prebuilt machines/etc.

18. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    good idea but u stuff will be worth less to sell

19. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Wait, I get it now... They called it Sandy Bridge because it's a bridge built on top of quicksand.

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    duuuh