Info on Dual-Channel

Discussion in 'Links' started by Twinke Masta, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Kermit_the_frog

Kermit_the_frog Master Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Ok first up the ram PC3200 is 200mhz in the bios but for windows its 400MHZ just the same way the AMD Athlon3200+ is at 200mhz in the bios and 400MHZ front bus in windows. The cpu you want to get is 200MHZ no matter what intel is selling as public relations there is no CPU over 200MHZ stock , So now the DC mode ram it will be whatever speed you set it too in the bios. Does not matter that its DC mode its still the same speed. What happens in DC mode is the throughput is much greater or bandwidth if you prefere. If you want to overclock a CPU that is 200MHZ to start with, you need to buy RAM with a higher speed ie: PC3500 ... the whole 800FSB stuff is just a smoke screen to sell more, they should be made by law to state the true speed in MHZ.

Ok I think that covers it.

2. SonDunn1128

SonDunn1128 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X800XT w/ATI Silencer 4
    Hey Kermit, I got you all the way. But what makes the 2.4 A B or C different from one another? Also what difference does single sided ram have from double sided ram in dual channel mode and overclocking and in stock mode? Does it provide higher bandwith or speed?

3. SonDunn1128

SonDunn1128 Master Guru

GPU:
    O sorry one more question.. if i wanted a 1:1 ratio using the 2.4c how would i go about that? or is the configuration i stated earlier a 1:1

4. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    As for the RAM there will be no problems if its either SS or DS for overclocking or speeds... Its only when we add ie: 4 sticks of RAM in like my MOBO and want DC mode well if I had 4 sticks of double sided ram the dc mode cannot kick in , and thats because of the way Gigabyte made the board but I think its also same on others I think its the chipset also it needs to have the right combo's , you should always check with the boards maker to be 100% sure about what they say goes or not. And for the A B C price, features, speeds. Just look at the cost you will kow which one is faster ;-)

5. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    To be 100% sure , go into the bios and look for RAM speed ... should be 100% or 1:1

But its in the bios for sure

6. SonDunn1128

SonDunn1128 Master Guru

GPU:
    Alright so basically tell me if I am right. Pentium 4 2.4 A B or C is all 200 MHZ stock right? and PC3200 is 200MHz double data rate to 400 MHz right? So the Pentium 4 2.4 whatever model with the Kingston SS 4 chips PC3200 will be a 1:1 ratio I am assuming.. and if ur getting annoyed, please don't feel obligated to help me, but if ur truly a good person, I appreciate it man..

7. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    No thats all right no worries , what you just said above is 100% correct.

8. WARsaber

WARsaber Guest

not sure bout the lanparty board

i got the lanparty board from dfi recently then i bought the xms pro 3200 cas 2 mem from corsair and i also have 1gb of value select here but since all 3 slots are of the same color i wonder which to but them in?
    not only that i have read where other who have far less qualtiy memory and same board and stuff runiing far greater speed than me . i wonder what is the matter even thou the processor is not the mobile edition of the 2500+ currently runing at 2.2ghz with water cooled by swiftech using 2 radiators

9. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Well over clocking is always a gamble its never a sure thing, as for which slots to use I am not 100% sure but I would think #1 + #3 but to make sure check the owners guide.

10. Thaer

Thaer Guest

But the new Socket 939 mobos do support double dual-channel memories?
    Unlike the SocketA that only supports one dual-channel setup?

11. SonDunn1128

SonDunn1128 Master Guru

GPU:
    Hey Kermit the frog... I have a question... It's been bothering me to ask you but I didn't want to because I asked so many questions on this topic when I first got here... If i get the Asus P4C800 deluxe board... it supports dual channel ddr ram.. I got that... but if ALL 4 memory slots are used with the SAME ram.. does it still run in dual channel?? is that like double dual channel??? whats the deal with that??

12. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Do you mean DOUBLE sided memory??

My board can do DOUBLE sided just not in all 4 dimm's

13. Burningrave

Burningrave Guest

great explanation on an important subject(i didnt know dual-channel pretty much too but now i do)
    :)

14. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    If you use all 4 slots with sticks that are ok with your mobo maker, such as the right DS, SS sticks in the right slots, you can have duel channel using all 4 slots, I think I said it somewhere in here, I used all 4 of my slots each with 256mb pc3200 and was fine ran in DC mode , the only draw back I had was overclocking, it was not as good as it was when I use 2 sticks or 3 sticks, 2 and 3 sticks the overclocking was the same, 4 sticks was a bit slower not as stable at higher ( 200 + fsb )

15. ninja

ninja Active Member

GPU:
    nvidia 8800gtx
    i have 3 slots on my board two close one a little away they are both green....what ones should i put them in for dual cannel?
    thx

16. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    I am sure its in the .pdf or the manual sorry I dony have either

17. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I use the outer two so the middle one is empty (if that makes sense) and it says Memory Mode: Dual Channel in the POST screen.

I imagine it works the same way for your board

18. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Yes most should say in the status screen.

19. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    I got myself into problem! My Asus p4p800 based config ran good
    until a couple of days ago, when I switched from Celeron 2800 to Prescott - E 3GHz /1MB cashe. Now, as soon as I start any high demanding 3D game (UT 2004, Far Cry, LockOn) my monitor gets black each 2-3 seconds. Picture simply dissappears from the screen for approximately a 1/10 of a second. After a few minutes of running the game temperature of the CPU jumps from 44*C to 58*C.
    First I thought it was a driver related problem, but no! Then I introduced more cooling facilities and decreased the temperatures of the CPU, northbridge and graph. card. No result! Went to BIOS C-mos setup. Changed all & everything. Tryed each possible combination of CPU speed/AGP/PCI/RAM frequency and AGP voltage. No result!

Could it be that the video adapter cannot cope with the CPU's bus frequency (with Celeron it was 100MHz/400 MHz mem bus, now it is 200/800)?

***WinXP SP1a, DirectX 9c, GeForce Ti4 4800 SE 275/550 MHz Innovision, 2x 256 MB of RAM PC400 dual channel mode, power supply = 400W***

Thanks in advance!

20. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    When you change a CPU like that its not a bad idea to do a repair install of your OS, I dont think that the Ti4800 has any trouble with that FSB , I dont see what that has to do with this thread either LOL. But I would do a repair install of your XP, and the temps being warmer is normal its working at a higher rate now so its warmer then your old celery stick.