How to: Overclock Dell, Gateway, Compaq and other branded computers

Discussion in 'Links' started by qube, Nov 14, 2002.

1. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    well its not really a good idea to OC a laptop anyways.

you should see if that laptop cpu is a socket or embedded.
    if its a socket go get a old intel 815 mobo and ,, well not an intel board maybe asus or msi ,, and overclock the hell out of it. the 733 and 933 loved to be overclocked.

2. stengah

stengah Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 6600GT AGP
    i've got a dell dimension 8300, P4 2.6C, i875p chipset, pll is ISC 952601EF.

i KNOW and I'M SURE of it it's possible to overclock dells. i know some guys that did it. but it seems it won't work on mine. i've tried with cpufsb and cpu cool, when i try to overclock, i select a similar ppl (that's what the guys with the OCed pcs did) and i select fine tuning, it seems to work, but after a few seconds the computer hangs, i can move the mouse but that's all. i reset the pc, but it won't boot again, only a black screen. i have to unplug the powerchord for it to work again.

i don't know what to think about this as i'm really sure it's possible to Overclock Dells

3. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    "but after a few seconds the computer hangs, i can move the mouse but that's all. i reset the pc, but it won't boot again, only a black screen. i have to unplug the powerchord for it to work again"

thats because you pushed it to hard, and you mayu have also chose the wrong chipset and mobo.

dell and basically all oem companies lock their chipsets so overclocking can only be done on a small scale, its not even worth it.

what type of system do you have ? what mobo ? chipset ?

4. stengah

stengah Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 6600GT AGP
    i don't know what's the mobo (it's a dell pc) but the chipset it i875p.

i've opened the pc and i've searched for the ppl, its 952601EF

and when i tried to overclock, i only increased of 0.5 percent .... that's not a lot. it hanged no matter what i could set.

5. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    you cant overclock the 875p with cpufsb.
    and since its a dell and 875p its an intel mobo.

FORGET OVERCLOCKING this mobo, its not gunna happen. intel multiplyers and fsb is locked you cant do anything.
    look on podien's website, although i havent looked recently i am pretty sure it says right there that the 875p PLC's are supported, not intel's.

i said it long ago man,, you cant overclock dell's and gateways and HP and compaq.

they lock the plc's or use wierd plc's that podien cant crack.

just be happy with 800mhz fsb.

or go buy the mobo i got and jack your fsb up to 930mhz.

you've also got to remember your hardware is OEM, not OVERCLOCKERS DREAM.
    the ram you haveisnt strong enough to handle any real overclocking, it will ahndle some yes. but,,,,,

anyways man i hate to say give up, but after working for gateway for 3 yrs and then dealing with the PC's after that, and all the while trying to overclock them, i can say with confidence.

NEXT TIME BUILD YOUR OWN PC! ;) you will be happy you did.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  6. stengah

stengah Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 6600GT AGP
    first, take a look HERE : http://www.aaltonen.us/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9942#9942

some did manage to overclock their dell pcs ... and not only a few megahertz !

btw, i've always been using and building my own pcs, but after a time i just had enough of always repairing, replacing parts, etc.... dell pcs aren't that expensive and got the warrenty.

7. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    yeah i hear ya, warrenty is the only reason to buy OEM.

one key thing they have good ram. that is a very important thing of oc'ing

also be sure your looking at the correct PLL. my bad i said PLC before i meant PLL, sorry.

i recall on my 875p (which sits in a box right now, unused, i should sell it) and on my 850i that there appeared to be more than one PLL so make sure your reading the correct one.

overall the 875p's are a tuff one.

and that dude claims he is stable at somewhat stable at 3.7ghz dude i am not calling him a liar but thats well i doubt he took an OEM system that high. again not calling him a liar but id like to see proof.
    intel locks their mobo's and they are locked real good, they are a bitch to overclock and i find it hard to believe he so easily took his system that high.
    but again, its possible, but without proof, ,,,,,,

8. qube

qube Guru of 3D Security

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
    Wow. Three years later, this thread is still here. Oh wait, 2002. Ah well. Three years later I'm back here reading this thread

:eek2:

9. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede The Humanoid Typhoon

GPU:
    GeForce 7800 GT PCI-E water cooled
    now i just gotta do it, but that pic isnt showin so i hope that doesnt matter lol, but anyways i have been lookin for about 3 weeks now for something like this so thank u very much

10. VashTheStampede

GPU:
    yeah... i hope it will support 3.2 ht? u think it will?

11. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    do we think what will support 3.2 gig HT
    what mobo / system/cpu you have now ?

12. VashTheStampede

GPU:
    im a moron i dont really no exaxtly what mobo i have i just got it. im runnin 2 gigs of pc3200, 875p chipset. pentium 4 3.2 ht. im sayin i hope that list of numbers so i can oc it

13. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    ARRGG!! WHO MAKES YOUR COMPUTER sorry. if its dell/hp/or gateway and its a pentium 4 then its an intel motherboard. thats the ONLY Pent 4 mobo they use.

so that being said your screwed! i have an intel 875p WASP mobo, its a gateway. and trust me your screwed. save some money my friend and go buy an msi 875 or buy onelike mine 865pe neo2 fis2r. or higher model. you cant loose its freeking awesome and you can overclock all you want.
    i run steady at 3.5ghz. and since you have the 3.2 you can go to 3.8ghz no problem, if you cant go that high then you need better ram.

if you find a way with cpufsb to raise the fsb you hve to realise that your at 800mhz fsb and i will pretty much guarentee you that you wont be able to go above,,, ohhh,,, ill say 215mhz fsb or the motherboard will lock.

14. P4P1T0-BR

P4P1T0-BR Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB 640/1950/1600 Alph
    argh
    FORBBIDEN
    YOU DONT HAVE PERMISSION TO ACESS THIS PAGE
    the page to dl the CPUFSB

15. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    what addy did you use ? and how about you google it there are other places that have it to download

16. P4P1T0-BR

P4P1T0-BR Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB 640/1950/1600 Alph
    need the link for that goddamn program

17. VashTheStampede

GPU:
    yeah i got a dell, what about this whole main topic so i can o/c, theres gotta be a way, i wanna wait till pci express comes out

18. RoAdbUrneR

RoAdbUrneR Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia/Gigabyte GTX260OC
    isnt pci exxpress out yet ? i heard a lot that delll has pci xpress too..

19. Gh0stivi

Gh0stivi Guest

I hear ya...fortunately for you you got a good one :(

20. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    have you fools ever heard of ****ing google

jesus for the love of pete

but since you have never heard of google here it is.

http://www.cpufsb.de/index.html

i can almost bet you that your **** out of luck though.
    but who knows.
    all i know from my time at gateway is that gateway, dell compag and others lock their bios and pll so that you can only overclock it very very little.

but who knows these days.