Info on Dual-Channel

Discussion in 'Links' started by Twinke Masta, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Kermit_the_frog

Kermit_the_frog Master Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    The Ram is fine just need the motherboard that runs it as duel channel

2. Djin

Djin Guest

Here's my question.

I'm going from 512 to 1024MB or RAM.

Corsair XMS Extreme DDR400... will I see a performance boost?

I know it's a silly question... but just wondering how much I will see with having 1GB and also having a very high quality RAM will do for me.

3. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Its a given XP loves RAM and good RAM at tight timings your going to see a great improvement all around without a doubt

:)

4. Djin

Djin Guest

Well my RAM is one of the better brands, so I'm not worried about timings... just wondering about overall speeds.

I get 6100+ in 3DMark 2003... so we'll see what I get when my other stick arrives.

5. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Its not really about an increase in speed its about endurance and shorter loading times but games will be alot smoother thats a given

6. Djin

Djin Guest

Not like they aren't smooth enough already with my current setup. :)

7. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Without a doubt but hey 1 gig is 1 gig it aint 512 mb lol

8. Djin

Djin Guest

Just another thing I can throw in people's face. :)

9. [TheFORCE]

[TheFORCE] Guest

10. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    From what I can see that is not a DC memory board ...

11. Predator653

Predator653 Guest

I know your probably all sick of this question and it has been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but if anyone's out there, can you tell me if my mobo will run on DC? It's a P4S533-X.

Thanks

12. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    No boards with SDRAM and DDR are for sure not DC sorry :0(

13. Predator653

Predator653 Guest

Awww, ok, Im thinking of getting an AMD 64 CPU and a new mobo soon anyway.

Thanks

14. Predator653

Predator653 Guest

If I bought two 512MB DDR memory chips - the exact same chip twice, and stick 'em in the two DDR slots on my mobo, would that work? Not in DC, but just give me 1024MB of RAM. Im a complete noob when it comes to technology, sorry about that 8-]

Thanks

15. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Sure that would give you 1024mb or as we say 1Gig , and trust me on this windows XP loves RAM no doubt about that, of course you never use SD-RAM and DDR Ram on your board at that same time. :)

16. Predator653

Predator653 Guest

Yeah,
    Thanks for all your help Kermit 8-]

17. Xeon XT

Xeon XT Guest

GPU:
    Unlocked MSI N465GTX GE
    Noob in confusion

Im getting a little confused here and want to straight this out, i understand that to get the increase in bandwith of the memory, you need to use pairs. Does this mean that if i were to get 2x256MB ram modules and use dual channel, would i technically have 256mb or 512mb? Also, I'm planning to get a new system with dual channel and id like to know what good brands of memory there are (i'm never going to overclock them). I'm thinking of getting Kingston because i can get 512MB (2x256) for $155 CND.

18. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    On a DC mobo the dual channel increases performance of all your applications, its 2 x 256mb = 512mb but if set on the proper board its 512mb in DC mode ........ its just faster overall, higher throughput.

19. Xeon XT

Xeon XT Guest

GPU:
    Unlocked MSI N465GTX GE
    Ok, thnx for clearing that :) i thought it was something like RAID

20. SonDunn1128

SonDunn1128 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X800XT w/ATI Silencer 4
    Hello everyone out there at Guru3d... I am new to this forum and was referred by my friend. I am old school when it comes to computers, was A+ certified back in 98 and after that I lost touch with the specifics of how the hardware actually works. I was reading all 10 of these pages in this particular topic and I have a few questions to see if what I understand is right. Please, don't laugh just because I am old school, I just don't fully understand the hardware now-a-days. Ok here goes. I was looking to get a Pentium 4 2.4C that is 800 MHz FSB (northwood). With me so far? Now I am going to show you guys what I understand about this DDR Dual Channel stuff. I wanted to buy this motherboard Click here for motherboard Then I wanted to throw this ram in there Click here to get ram specs I wanted to get 4 pieces of this to equal 1GB. I understand that CL 2.5 is better than 3... first question.. any drawbacks??? ok, moving on. Now from what i gather from all my reading and thinking, If i throw that ram on the motherboard it will be a 1:1 ratio because FSB is 800 MHz and PC3200 DDR ram in dual channel mode is running 400MHz x 2 which equals 800 MHz. Is this right???? If I am wrong, please explain. Next question. If i wanted to overclock by using extensive cooling options, how would I go about it??? Would I have to have had bought faster ram in the first place??? how does this exactly work. And please make it as easy as you can, It takes me a while to grasp this new technology... Thank you to whoever helps me out =)